U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2014, 09:33 AM

1,756 posts, read 4,919,849 times

Advertisements

53 weekday games out of 80 home games, or 8-9 games/month for 6 months affecting evening commutes doesn't really justify MARTA. I think traffic will be a little worse but nothing too terrible with the road improvements
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 09:37 AM

9,909 posts, read 6,899,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Pretty sure the vast majority of those fans, many of which hated going to Mechanicsville..especially at night, would disagree.
Nice doge. Not going to admit that this is about the tax money for the Braves eh?

The big plus side of this deal is that peoplestown can heal from decades of damage done by the Braves and their parking lots.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:44 AM

28,129 posts, read 24,652,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
The big plus side of this deal is that peoplestown can heal from decades of damage done by the Braves and their parking lots.
I hope that is the case, jsvh.

There's no denying that Cobb's monetary incentives had an influence on the Braves' move, just as huge incentives have been used to lure the Falcons and countless other businesses.

Unfortunately that seems to be standard practice with nearly all state and local governments these days. I wish they would stop it.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:46 AM
JPD

11,859 posts, read 14,468,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
You have a point. The present location is not the most convenient or hospitable location in the world.
Neither is the new location.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:47 AM

9,909 posts, read 6,899,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Unfortunately that seems to be standard practice with nearly all state and local governments these days. I wish they would stop it.
Agreed. The Dome has not been good for the neighborhoods near it on the west side of downtown either.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:07 AM

4,998 posts, read 3,478,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
53 weekday games out of 80 home games, or 8-9 games/month for 6 months affecting evening commutes doesn't really justify MARTA. I think traffic will be a little worse but nothing too terrible with the road improvements
If you're referring to Cumberland, MARTA should've been built there decades ago given the amount of development in the area. You rationale applies more to the reason why AFCS/The Ted never got a MARTA spur.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:21 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,939,891 times
Quote:
This place is supposed to be a 365 day/yr destination. That's the entire argument for why Turner Field couldn't cut it. We're talking Lenox Mall but busier...think Disneyland w/ Chief Noc-A-Homa. Otherwise why would retailers want to get into that mess. 80X/yr they're virtually unreachable (not just weeknights for them) and people watching the game aren't browsing casual wear outside the stadium.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:33 AM

5,368 posts, read 4,891,347 times
Quote:
It's not just the 53 or so weekday games (and the 81 home games total) at the new Braves stadium that will be generating additional traffic in the I-75/I-285 Cobb Cloverleaf/Cumberland area. It's also the new high-density mixed-use development (retail/shopping, restaurants, bars, offices, apartments, condos, townhomes, etc) surrounding the new Braves stadium and throughout the I-75/I-285 Cobb Cloverleaf/Cumberland area that will be generating much additional traffic on the road network in that area after the stadium opens.

It should also be noted that the new Braves stadium project is not about constructing a standalone stadium in the middle of a sea of parking spaces. The new Braves stadium is basically a real estate development project intended to spark a massive wave of traffic-generating high-density real estate development both in the Cumberland area and throughout Cobb County (particularly along the I-75/US 41 Cobb Parkway corridors).

I-285 Westbound across the Top End Perimeter is already severely congested (and sometimes even gridlocked) during afternoon and evening peak traffic hours....And the new Braves stadium and the new traffic-generating high-density mixed-use real estate development that it is bringing to the I-75/I-285 Cobb Cloverleaf area is only going to make traffic on the already severely-congested westbound I-285 Top End Perimeter even more severely-congested than it already is today.

It's not just the 53 or so weekday games (and the 81 home games total) that will necessitate high-capacity transit service to the Cumberland area (MARTA or otherwise). It's all of the new low-rise, mid-rise and high-rise high-density mixed-use development packed into an area that already struggles with traffic congestion that will necessitate high-capacity transit service to the Cumberland area.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:54 AM

559 posts, read 636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
It's not just the 53 or so weekday games (and the 81 home games total) at the new Braves stadium that will be generating additional traffic in the I-75/I-285 Cobb Cloverleaf/Cumberland area. It's also the new high-density mixed-use development (retail/shopping, restaurants, bars, offices, apartments, condos, townhomes, etc) surrounding the new Braves stadium and throughout the I-75/I-285 Cobb Cloverleaf/Cumberland area that will be generating much additional traffic on the road network in that area after the stadium opens.

It should also be noted that the new Braves stadium project is not about constructing a standalone stadium in the middle of a sea of parking spaces. The new Braves stadium is basically a real estate development project intended to spark a massive wave of traffic-generating high-density real estate development both in the Cumberland area and throughout Cobb County (particularly along the I-75/US 41 Cobb Parkway corridors).

I-285 Westbound across the Top End Perimeter is already severely congested (and sometimes even gridlocked) during afternoon and evening peak traffic hours....And the new Braves stadium and the new traffic-generating high-density mixed-use real estate development that it is bringing to the I-75/I-285 Cobb Cloverleaf area is only going to make traffic on the already severely-congested westbound I-285 Top End Perimeter even more severely-congested than it already is today.

It's not just the 53 or so weekday games (and the 81 home games total) that will necessitate high-capacity transit service to the Cumberland area (MARTA or otherwise). It's all of the new low-rise, mid-rise and high-rise high-density mixed-use development packed into an area that already struggles with traffic congestion that will necessitate high-capacity transit service to the Cumberland area.

Exactly right, B2R. If anything, the media idiots and politicians have over-played the game day traffic scenarios . . . and grossly under-played the A) the current traffic gridlock, and B) the additional year-round traffic that will created by all the new development within a 1-mile halo of the new stadium.

Development that has either already started or been approved has exploded since the Braves announcement, particularly in the immediate area of the stadium, i.e. Galleria to Windy Hill. Yet, you look at Spring Road West, Cobb Pkwy from Galleria to Windy Hill, Cumberland Blvd from the mall to Spring Road . . . and all of those roads are already gridlocked.

And the most irritating part? The major road upgrades are Cobb Pkwy widening from Akers Mill to Vinings and on Windy Hill Road. Granted, those projects have been in the works for years, but those will do zero to improve the 285 West/Cobb Pkwy cluster, or the Spring Road meltdown from Nalley Lexus to Racetrack, or Cobb Pkwy from Galleria north to Windy Hill, or perhaps the biggest bottleneck near the stadium . . . the Spring Road-Cumberland Blvd intersection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or