U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2014, 12:22 AM

4,644 posts, read 3,012,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2201987 View Post
Yeah, I thought about how cool would it be if a MARTA line would weave in and out of Cumberland, underground and above ground like the Perimeter Center stops.
Sigh. Perhaps one day, but not for a L O N G time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 03:02 AM

5,357 posts, read 4,883,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl1221 View Post
I think it looks great....the only thing that would make it better would be a giant MARTA stop smack dab in the center of that development.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
MARTA? In Cobb?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Yeah, that's exactly what I said in a Facebook AJC comment.

It sure would solve a few problems regarding logistics and traffic.. to an extent. Even for those not going to the stadium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
MARTA goes to Cumberland Mall so MARTA to the stadium is conceivable. If not then CCT.
Quote:
Yeah, I thought about how cool would it be if a MARTA line would weave in and out of Cumberland, underground and above ground like the Perimeter Center stops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Sigh. Perhaps one day, but not for a L O N G time.
With the likely logistical challenges of the new traffic-generating stadium development being located in an area near a major freeway junction (the I-75/I-285 NW Cobb Cloverleaf) that already struggles with severe traffic congestion during peak hours and with a limited availability of parking possibly to be an ongoing issue, its potentially not necessarily a matter of if but a matter of when rail transit service will be extended into Cobb County to the Cumberland area and the new stadium.

Rail transit service may or may not be extended into Cobb to the Cumberland area and the new stadium by way of the current MARTA transit agency using the MARTA name. But the chances are increasing that rail transit will eventually be extended to Cumberland at the behest of profit hungry Cobb business and real estate interests eager to stay viable in a changing real estate market that increasingly values good access to transit.

There's preliminary talk swirling around that some in state government are interested in doing a state-led Grady Hospital type of overhaul to MARTA as a means of getting rail transit expanded out into traditionally transit-averse Northern suburban areas (like Cobb County) where business and real estate interests are increasingly hungry for transit access and the increased real estate profits that it can bring in a 21st Century real estate market that emphasizes the increased availability of transit in large major metro areas.

With Cobb County business leaders basically building the new Braves stadium as a means of boosting the Cumberland/Galleria and Cobb County real estate markets over the long-term out of a desire to catch up with and better compete with other real estate submarkets like Perimeter, Buckhead and Midtown (all RE submarkets with a direct rail transit connection to the world-leading Atlanta Airport), talk of rail transit expansion to Cumberland likely is not all that far off in the future.

The question is will transit-hungry business and real estate interests in Cobb and the Northern suburbs (including business and RE interests in North Fulton, North DeKalb and Gwinnett) attempt to take political and social control of MARTA away from political and social interests in the City of Atlanta, South Fulton, South DeKalb and now Clayton to get the rail transit lines (and the accompanying increased real estate profits) that they so increasingly desperately want expanded into transit-deficient Northside areas like Cobb and the site of the new Braves stadium in Cumberland?

Stay tuned...

Old 12-11-2014, 07:25 AM

28,109 posts, read 24,632,008 times
If I know Cobb this is just the beginning.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:36 AM

3,453 posts, read 2,971,284 times
They are referring to the comments on the Creative loafing. There quite hilarious

Old 12-11-2014, 09:01 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,742,277 times
and yet the comments are accurate...

Old 12-11-2014, 10:23 AM

559 posts, read 635,811 times
Quote:
Actually, the long, skinny track of undeveloped land between Circle 75 and I-75 was proposed as a Herodian Way/Circle 75 MARTA stop in a MARTA Cobb expansion plan about 10 years ago. Obviously, that plan died on the vine, but the layout and stops through Cumberland were really great and had stops all the way to Kennesaw St U.

Ironically, that exact land was bought by the Braves and is where the biggest portion of the Braves/mixed use parking will be. That 17 acres or so has already been cleared and grading/muni plumbing is going on now.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:42 AM

559 posts, read 635,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
The question is will transit-hungry business and real estate interests in Cobb and the Northern suburbs (including business and RE interests in North Fulton, North DeKalb and Gwinnett) attempt to take political and social control of MARTA away from political and social interests in the City of Atlanta, South Fulton, South DeKalb and now Clayton to get the rail transit lines (and the accompanying increased real estate profits) that they so increasingly desperately want expanded into transit-deficient Northside areas like Cobb and the site of the new Braves stadium in Cumberland?

B2R, you are exactly right. I've had private conversations w/ several politicians and energy guys who would influence or decide a Cobb-MARTA expansion and the 2 roadblocks that are constantly brought up are: 1) control, and 2) who's going to pay for it?

Control - Cobb leaders don't trust MARTA/ATL leaders to do a competent job. There is factual history to support this, although MARTA seems to have better leadership now. ATL leaders don't particularly like or trust Cobb leaders either. The issue is who's going to control the process, the decisions, the routes/stops, land acquisition, etc. and ultimately who's going to manage the revenue/expenses.

Cost - I talked w/ a Republican State Rep (from outside metro ATL) 2 weeks ago about bringing MARTA to Cobb. He said he loves the idea and thinks it would be great and then asked, "who's going to pay for it? Cause it's not going to be the state."

Old 12-11-2014, 10:58 AM

209 posts, read 203,455 times
Question- when the idea of MARTA to Cobb comes up, why is it always from Midtown to Cumberland? I think a north 285 line from Perimeter or Medical Center (or even Doraville) to Cumberland (with stops at Roswell Road and Northside Drive) would be cheaper due to its shorter distance, and it would be better for Braves traffic, much of which is from the northern suburbs.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:04 PM

4,995 posts, read 3,474,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post

Cost - I talked w/ a Republican State Rep (from outside metro ATL) 2 weeks ago about bringing MARTA to Cobb. He said he loves the idea and thinks it would be great and then asked, "who's going to pay for it? Cause it's not going to be the state."
I'm sure he loved it though when Metro Atlanta taxpayers were funding all of those GRIP corridors in rural Georgia.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:06 PM

4,995 posts, read 3,474,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha-Mez View Post
Question- when the idea of MARTA to Cobb comes up, why is it always from Midtown to Cumberland? I think a north 285 line from Perimeter or Medical Center (or even Doraville) to Cumberland (with stops at Roswell Road and Northside Drive) would be cheaper due to its shorter distance, and it would be better for Braves traffic, much of which is from the northern suburbs.
Because it would allow for direct service to the airport/Downtown/Midtown areas without a transfer (if using the provision north of Arts Center). Both lines would be useful though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or