U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 06:45 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,020,545 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Charleston, but from the photos I have seen, and word of mouth... Savannah is a closer match than Peachtree City.

Long story short, you're going to make a lifestyle change. It is a little surprising to me that you haven't visited either of these areas already even though your move is only a few weeks away.

I wish that I could tell you more, but I have never spent any significant amount of time in Fayetteville or Peachtree City.

Living in the city of Atlanta isn't all bad, even with kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 07:44 AM

40 posts, read 54,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
I've never been to Charleston, but from the photos I have seen, and word of mouth... Savannah is a closer match than Peachtree City.

Long story short, you're going to make a lifestyle change. It is a little surprising to me that you haven't visited either of these areas already even though your move is only a few weeks away.

I wish that I could tell you more, but I have never spent any significant amount of time in Fayetteville or Peachtree City.

Living in the city of Atlanta isn't all bad, even with kids
Lucky for us we're in the preliminary stages of the move, we won't have to actually be out of Summerville for several months. We plan on visiting the city in the next few weeks to get a low level view.

Regarding kids activities in Atlanta, what are the main attractions?

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 12-13-2014, 07:16 PM

8 posts, read 4,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jszoke View Post
Regarding kids activities in Atlanta, what are the main attractions?

Thanks for the feedback!
We came to visit with our kids before deciding to move and the Aquarium was by far the favorite of all the things we saw!! The zoo is also worth a visit and if you can do the holiday lights at the Atlanta Botanical Garden, they liked those too!

Old 12-14-2014, 04:55 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,974,189 times
Peachtree City or any area relatively near it is quite desirable for a family like yours (Newnan in Coweta, County). Fayette county has solid public schools with an excellent reputation. Your budget would allow you to find an older 3/2 home in that area. Newer construction in your price range is more limited to townhomes, which I would not recommend for an area that far out from Atlanta. The only clear drawback to P'tree City is if your job changes in the future, more of the better paying jobs in metro Atlanta tend to be Downtown Atlanta and more northward. Commuting from P'tree City to the northside during rush hour is time-consuming. You may be better off renting first and then deciding to buy something later since you would be new to metro Atlanta.

I've been to Charleston many times over the years as I have family that live in the area. It's completely different than Atlanta. I see Charleston as a great place to visit, but generally expensive overall for a family with kids. Summerville is a nice, affluent suburb. From some past research, I found the real estate there for the good public schools is pricey compared to some areas of Atlanta. I know that job opportunities in Charleston are just more limited in most sectors since it is a much smaller metro area than that of Atlanta. Long term in your career, Atlanta is more of a strategic choice overall.

Other than the Aquarium, there is the new ferris wheel downtown and a toy museum in the vicinity, so you could easily spend an entire day with kids in or near Downtown. Stone Mountain is also worth a visit, but on a cold day when your family is visiting, it may not be as practical as some indoor places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or