U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 06:47 AM

40 posts, read 53,718 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Hoping some folks here can provide some advice to a family that's having a difficult decision to relocate from Charleston, SC to Atlanta, GA.

My job just offered me a fantastic opportunity to relocate and work with a great team in Peachtree City, with the added incentive of having limited opportunity to progress if we don't make the move and stay where we're at in Summerville, SC.. Problem is, we love where we're at, were moved to our location by my company several years ago with the implication that we'd never need to move again. We have a house on a dead end street in a great suburb of Charleston where we feel very comfortable raising our new family (5 of us, with kids 4, 2, and 1).

Right now we don't see too much of an option here, we will probably have to move. Since it's necessary, i want to be able to provide my wife with as much comfort as possible by replicating what we have here...

I'd really appreciate any advice on the best neighborhoods south of the city. Here are some of our criteria:

1. Preferably buy in the neighborhood of $200-$300K, will rent if necessary
2. House in a quiet subdivision with little through traffic
3. I'll be working in Park West (?) in Peachtree City, my wife will be working from home
4. Ok with public schooling if the schools are good
5. Would prefer some type of nice small downtown area that we could be at in 10-15 minutes
6. We're very active, so any type of running trails/nature areas would be a big plus!

We're probably going to come visit in the next 3-4 weeks, any advice that you can provide that would help us narrow down areas to live would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 08:46 AM

1,979 posts, read 1,699,624 times
Peachtree City is a great area for people with families. Why not just look for houses there?

Old 12-11-2014, 08:57 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,531,523 times
Decline the offer if you don't want to move

Old 12-11-2014, 09:13 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,638,613 times
As far as relocating to Atlanta on your budget, you are much luckier than most. Peachtre City is a good place for families, and you don't have to worry about an awful Atlanta commute.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Decline the offer if you don't want to move
I understand where you're coming from, but the net postives would outweigh the negatives given that we end up in a good area. Losing this job would be very undesirable for the family for a number of reasons, which is why we're willing to make the sacrifice.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
Peachtree City is a great area for people with families. Why not just look for houses there?
I'm definately open to it, but it looks like the houses are older and less affordable there. We're considering it, but we're also looking at places like Sharpsburg & Fayetteville that aren't too far away but look like they have nice communities with reasonable, newer housing.

I'm good anywhere that it would take me less than 30 minutes to get to work, obviously closer is better but we're willing to go anywhere that's reasonably close and gives us a better home scenario.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:16 AM

7,687 posts, read 9,530,024 times
Peachtree City is a nice place, but let's be abundantly clear here: absolutely nothing in Atlanta is going to be like Charleston (from what I've heard, I've never actually been).

So you'll be giving up a lot more than a house, you'll be giving up a lifestyle. However, if you are interested in the culture of an urban center, you'll get that in return!

It's just really tough to imagine a move from Charleston. I've never heard a negative thing about it.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:56 PM

2,325 posts, read 3,549,200 times
Peachtree City has a very active running community that you will want to check out

| PTCRC

Also don't forget the Atlanta Track Club although most of their events are not on the south side of the city

Atlanta Track Club :: Atlanta Running Club

Peachtree City is not far from Serenbe, GA which is a interesting area to explore

Serenbe

Old 12-11-2014, 07:19 PM

122 posts, read 128,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It's just really tough to imagine a move from Charleston. I've never heard a negative thing about it.
Then you've never stayed a night at a hotel in north charleston :-)

Old 12-12-2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1324 View Post
Then you've never stayed a night at a hotel in north charleston :-)
Yea, and i think that much of the allure of Charleston has to do with things that we're not necessarily part of... beaches, downtown, etc. are just too far away to go to with any regularity when you have kids as young as ours.

We're looking for what we had locally in Summerville... good community, good people, and an active lifestyle in a less congested atmosphere (which is why we wouldn't make it in downtown Atlanta with a permanent residence).

That being said, i'm sure there's some awesome family activities in downtown Atlanta that we'd enjoy the heck out of, as long as we can be back home in the same day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or