U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 08:50 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,713,224 times

Advertisements

How are you liking Atlanta so far?

Where did you move from and why?

Do you have any general questions about this area?

FYI. ...only people who have moved here recently respond. Anyone else will be reported for trolling. Any lonely people who moved away to other states responding about them moving will be reported. Anyone derailing this thread will be reported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 10:27 AM

696 posts, read 1,124,164 times
Good thread !!

Little bit about me: Single professional male of Indian-subscontinent origin, mid-thirties, lived all over the East Coast, from Boston to Miami, all of my adult life....due to job, school, personal adventurous nature etc. Fairly assimilated, adventurous (love to travel), open-minded and have a generally positive outlook on life and people. Most recently, lived in Richmond, VA for about 9 years (with a gap of about 8 months in 2008-2009 spent in Boston, MA) before moving to Atlanta, GA with a full-time job (finance/banking) in August, 2014. I guess I should mention here that I specifically decided to move to Atlanta and then did a targeted job search here and finally moved with a position/internal transfer in my existing company.

Things I like about Atlanta based on my observations/experience in the limited time I have been here:

- First and foremost, the milder climate relative to up North. Always a plus in the South
- Generally friendly "Southern Hospitality"
- Diverse cultural/food scene of Atlanta, plenty of choices of ethnic supermarkets and eateries which is personally very important to me.
- Proximity to several Southern cities and mountains, big plus.
- Housing prices seem extremely reasonable, especially for a major metropolitan area of its size.
- Love to travel so having the largest airport in the world with direct flights to pretty much anywhere in the US and many cities across Europe and South and Central America is a big plus for me. Also I have family in different cities in the East Coast and living in a city with a large airport is extremely convenient/important for me.
- Love the fact that Atlanta is so "forested", plenty of a green for a city of its size with many parks, woods etc. to relax and refresh. Also, plenty to do in general, plenty of neighborhoods, places to visit within the greater metropolitan area.
- Plenty of good, major companies headquartered here, which is a good thing in case I choose to switch companies someday.
- As a major movie fan, love the up and coming movie industry within Atlanta that I learned about after moving here. Looks like lots of films/ TV series etc. being filmed here now or probably in the future (Big time Walking Dead fan here !!)

Still exploring/finding out more about the different neighborhoods, things to do around town but definitely appreciate the Atlanta vibe and for the first time in my life thinking about settling down and buying a house.

Sure the traffic is bad but that is to be expected in most large metropolitan areas and I have discovered that if I pick where I live carefully taking into consideration the commute time, various alternative routes etc. to my work (I work in Midtown), smart choices can be made and miserable commute time can be avoided/reduced to some extent. Nice to have MARTA too.

Overall, pretty happy with my move and looking forward to becoming a native Atlantan.

Sidenote - I started frequenting the Atlanta forum about a year before I even moved here and many of the regular members here have been helpful and shaped/helped me reach my decision to move here, so thanks for that! I will try to be active in the forum and "give back"/share my experiences/stories time to time, and of course will ask questions as they come up...

Cheers
Ron

Old 12-11-2014, 10:49 AM

7 posts, read 9,838 times
My husband and I moved to Atlanta (Smryna) this summer from NW Washington, DC. So far, we love the area!! We have been talking about leaving DC for 5 years due to the many issues such as traffic (in my opinion, the DC area is much worse), cost of leaving (800 sq. ft for $500,000), wanting to live in a milder climate and simply just wanting a change. We both had lived in the DC area for about 20 years (since college). I grew up in Indiana and my husband is from NY. We were not set on moving to Atlanta, but we definitely wanted to go south. Job opportunity was presented to me and after moving here, my husband found a job in 3 weeks. Life is good!

1. the cost of living in MUCH cheaper
2. the weather is nice and mild
3. the daylight hours are longer
4. overall, people are more friendly
5. people in general seemed to be more relaxed and less stressed here
6. both of our commutes are under 10 minutes
7. the area is VERY green and hilly
8. his family lives in Charleston, so we can drive there pretty quickly and to other coastal areas.

So far, I really don't have any questions. Most of them were answered by reading the forum and now living here for almost 6 months. I will post if any come to mind.

I also echo ronyusa comment about how helpful this forum has been in EVERY aspect!!! Thank you ALL!

Old 12-11-2014, 01:00 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,500,185 times
I lived in Atlanta , from up North, my first surprise was how empty the supermarkets were all the time, compared to up North. The tellers just stood there waiting for a customer, they seemed to panic if they have more than 3 -4 people in line , maybe it's because s there's too many supermarkets close to one another , Trader Joes seem to be the busiest , the others have more staff than customers .

Old 12-11-2014, 01:38 PM

221 posts, read 181,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
I lived in Atlanta , from up North, my first surprise was how empty the supermarkets were all the time, compared to up North. The tellers just stood there waiting for a customer, they seemed to panic if they have more than 3 -4 people in line , maybe it's because s there's too many supermarkets close to one another , Trader Joes seem to be the busiest , the others have more staff than customers .
Not sure what part of town you live in but supermarkets are slammed in the intown neighborhoods.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:52 PM

2,009 posts, read 2,147,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travbo View Post
Not sure what part of town you live in but supermarkets are slammed in the intown neighborhoods.
Not all of them. I usually got in and out of the Publix on Monroe (next to Gay Kroger) pretty quickly whenever I visited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl14 View Post
My husband and I moved to Atlanta (Smryna) this summer from NW Washington, DC. So far, we love the area!! We have been talking about leaving DC for 5 years due to the many issues such as traffic (in my opinion, the DC area is much worse),

1. the cost of living in MUCH cheaper
2. the weather is nice and mild
3. the daylight hours are longer
4. overall, people are more friendly
5. people in general seemed to be more relaxed and less stressed here
6. both of our commutes are under 10 minutes
7. the area is VERY green and hilly
8. his family lives in Charleston, so we can drive there pretty quickly and to other coastal areas.
Traffic in D.C. is FAR worse than Atlanta, but the mass transit up there is more useful than the smaller rail system that Atlanta offers.

Atlanta is definitely less stressful than D.C., but the weather isn't really all that much warmer, IMO. The winter highs here are higher, but the lows are still pretty close to what you'll find in the mid atlanta east coast areas.

I'm not sure what you mean regarding the daylight hours... there should only be a negligible difference due to to the differences in latitude between Atlanta and D.C.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:08 PM

☆Warning☆☆

As stated above this thread is about people moving to Atlanta. The only people posting in this thread should be people that have moved to Atlanta or if it is a response to a question that was asked from someone who moved to Atlanta.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:24 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,500,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travbo View Post
North Fulton County....

Old 12-11-2014, 11:43 PM

159 posts, read 149,701 times
I just moved here two weeks ago.

How are you liking Atlanta so far?
Ohmygoodness, I am loving it here. Some favorite things are:
*weather
*food
*shopping
*increased daylight hours
*friendly people
*beautiful scenery
*outdoor activities -Christmas celebrations held OUTSIDE. WHAT THE WHAT?!?!?!
*weather
*opportunities for anything and everything
*ability for people to come visit us and actually have fun and scenic places to take them
*lots of sunshine compared to home town
*sweet tea
*easy access to fun vacation destinations by car
*multi-cultural atmosphere
*weather

I can echo a previous poster and say that I'm also surprised that shopping isn't that busy and crazy, especially since we're right around the holidays. I know it is different ITP and Perimeter Mall, etc., but where I am at, even weekday evenings I've been able to Christmas shop without feeling any sort of rage. Even the Trader Joe's isn't THAT crazy (from the two times I've been there). This is a night and day change from my hometown, as well as the shopping I've done in STL, Detroit, and Chicago and its suburbs.

I've been surprised that drivers are pretty accomodating and polite, for the most part. The merge process works well, and when the light turns orange, you don't have a ton of people trying to turn left at an intersection.

Everything is so close! Amazing!

Things that I am not loving:
*Libraries are not open very long and do not have a ton of activities. I have looked at all of the 30+ Fulton libraries and all of their hours, and none come even close to offering what my much smaller town offered in terms of hours and activities. Home town library was open 9-9 almost every day of the week, to give you a starting point for comparison. My old library was much more up-to-speed technologically as well. This shocked me!!!! Not a deal-breaker or anything..., just a negative surprise. People around here are busy enjoying plenty of other opportunities, so library isn't as needed, I guess.
*Cost of living. So many people had posted on this forum about how affordable ATL metro is that I really believed it. Truth is, cost of living is RELATIVE. If you are moving from a more expensive metro area (NorCal, SoCal, NYC, DC), you'll feel like a king. If, like me, you are moving from a more rural area, it will hurt. Bad. I had never been forced to downgrade my home before and not only have we downgraded, but our new home is significantly much more expensive. OUCH. I still remember my old home vividly and when I see all the work I need to do to the new house to make it "nice enough," it makes me cry. I feel like a three-year-old whose balloon has slipped through his fingers and released up into the sky, never to return. Where we came from, we were solidly upper middle class. Here, we are not. Feeling poor sucks. (I know you're curious and I'll tell you, our home budget was $350K).

Where did you move from and why?

Midwest. Husband's job brought us here. He wasn't forced into it, but it was a good career opportunity for him. On a personal level, I have been wanting to move the kids to a major metro area before they grow up. I want to live in a place that has many opportunities, so if the kids WANT to live near me, they can find work in any field they want. Lastly, I am one of those people strongly affected by the weather and have been wanting to move to sunnier pastures ever since I was in Jr. High. For once, I am in mid-December and not feeling a "doom" feeling in the pit of my stomach because of what lies ahead. This feeling of lightness is PRICELESS.

Do you have any general questions about this area?
I'll have to think on this and post tomorrow. Time for bed!

Old 12-12-2014, 06:12 AM

Rule change. You can ask a question but please ask it in a way to prevent trolls from hijacking this thread.

Lets keep this thread orderly. The first troll post will be reported immediately. .

It's intresting hearing your opinions of the city. Can you all explain more about the extended daily light hours because I never really paid attention to this when I'm out of town in other cities. I always thought that outside of Seattle that daily light hours were the same everywhere....generally speaking

@Group Hug. I know what you mean by the feeling of doom in mid December. It's definitely not like that here. We will get a few cold days of freezing weather but overall it isn't bad.

Last edited by afdinatl; 12-12-2014 at 06:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or