U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 11:38 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,478,644 times

Advertisements

I've been on Verizon for a decade and don't plan on leaving. Find their coverage to be great.

However, my in-laws are looking to switch from a discount carrier (Page Plus) to one of the big four in order to get iPhones, better data speeds, and hopefully better coverage.

I was wondering if people have experience with T-Mobile. They have a deal for $100 for two lines, unlimited everything.

Sounds a lot better than the deal my wife and I are on...$140ish for 3GB of shared data.

From what I recall, Verizon has the best coverage, then ATT, then Sprint/T-Mobile. Is that still the hierarchy. Does Sprint and T-Mobile drop calls a lot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 11:41 AM

383 posts, read 716,426 times
I think T-Mobile has improved considerably as they are using some of AT&T's infrastructure for their network (remember that failed merger a couple years back...well from what I've heard T-M got to keep some of AT&T's infra from that).... I know a couple of people on T-M with no complaints.

I have AT&T and have NEVER had issues here in Atlanta. They are currently offering some competitive rates as well.

I would say stay away from Sprint....I know a couple of people with them and they have had issues with coverage and the company in general is just not doing well. I believe they lost something like 200,000 customers last quarter alone.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:01 PM

348 posts, read 397,497 times
You get what you pay for to a degree. t-Mobile is problematic depending on where you are. I would rank them as follows:

1) VZ
2) ATT
3) t-Mobile
4) ...

Sprint

Old 12-11-2014, 01:03 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,006,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl1221 View Post
I think T-Mobile has improved considerably as they are using some of AT&T's infrastructure for their network (remember that failed merger a couple years back...well from what I've heard T-M got to keep some of AT&T's infra from that).... I know a couple of people on T-M with no complaints.

I have AT&T and have NEVER had issues here in Atlanta. They are currently offering some competitive rates as well.

I would say stay away from Sprint....I know a couple of people with them and they have had issues with coverage and the company in general is just not doing well. I believe they lost something like 200,000 customers last quarter alone.

That's not entirely accurate. They are using the money from the AT&T potential merger breakup to OVERBUILD their networks like all other carriers. While most carriers share towers, they don't use they same equipment. They do, however, have interconnection agreements with each other and therefore, your ability to roam.

Truth? Verizon and AT&T are your two, most comprehensive networks available throughout Atlanta and are more important if you do quite a bit of data. Neither is perfect. All drop calls. However, they are the most complete, ubiquitous networks out there.

T-Mobile? Work in progress. Much like Sprint, if you stay within the major 7 counties of the city, not a problem. If you roam, especially around Georgia our to the further reaches of Atlanta, skip it. While they are overbuilding rapidly, there are hundreds and hundreds of towers to complete. One of my sons worked as a contractor doing this for Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T. T-Mobile has contractors trying to do two towers a week each per week. Then there is cutover, burn-in, network optimization....you know, TIME spent turning the darn network up?

Want coverage? Buy Verizon or AT&T throughout 2015 and possibly a bit further. Want to cuss and get p'off? Buy T-Mobile and Sprint. They are guaranteed to **** you off. Period. I used to try and sell to Sprint's wholesale group for capacity in rural areas. Not interested. Said another way, they aren't interested in your customer satisfaction in Waycross...2G/3G is good enough for you my friend ergo the 10 devices, $100 BS.....you get what you pay for. Truer words were never spoken when it comes to cell carriers.

If you are an admin or office pogue who spends their entire life going from Cobb County to Fulton and back each day, buy as cheap as you wish. If you are like the other half in the world who actually might see 3 or 4 counties in one day? Don't EVEN think of getting T-Mobile or Sprint. By the end of 2 months you will want to take a hostage.

It's ALL about the coverage. Backbone bandwidth is always sufficient across all carriers. Most towers are 50mbps or less from their fiber-optic handoff at the tower. (Think rural). Most of the towers are served by metro-Ethernet capacity over fiber (so much for a truly wireless society). It's the ONLY reason the quality is this good and the speeds that great.

For those living in Forsyth, Cherokee, West Douglas, South Fulton, Newton, Henry, Jackson, Dawson, Spalding, South Clayton, Fayette, Cowetta, Paulding, Hall IN GENERAL have NO business buying T-Mobile or Sprint.....Anything goes in Fulton proper, DeKalb, Cobb, Gwinnett, close in Douglas, close in Clayton.....this will change over time but, you have been warned....maybe when your Next contract expires from you-pick-the-carrier you might want to take a peek.

All of this is improving and with millions and billions spent, anything is possible. For now, decide how angry you wish to be and buy accordingly.

Good luck,

Old 12-14-2014, 04:05 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,958,371 times
I have used all 3 over the years (Verizon, AT&T and Sprint). Sprint definitely had issues of dropped calls if you go outside the core counties of metro Atlanta. If your in-laws are heavy users of their smart phones, it's best to go with the big 2. Just like the others said here, you get what you pay for with discount carriers. When a person is a very light cell user, a cheaper provider is probably fine, but for anyone who uses their cell quite a bit, it's better to stick to the big 2 for most areas of metro Atlanta.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:43 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,995,179 times
I have T-Mobile. They are about 85% as food as AT&T for coverage in my experience. It is rare that I go anywhere and don't have coverage.

They are a very good, very viable choice around Atlanta

Old 12-14-2014, 08:17 AM

338 posts, read 377,817 times
I had Sprint while living in Atlanta. Never had too many problems. I did live in a high rise though and cell reception wasn't too great up there.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:00 AM

183 posts, read 281,510 times
Went on a road trip to Savannah and Orlando....my Verizon phone worked great. My friend's TMobile was useless...it had no signal/internet most of the time while we were on the road between cities.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:13 PM

305 posts, read 301,989 times
T-Mobile was bad in parts of Gwinett for me, especially Norcross/near perimeter. The LTE wouldnt kick in and I couldnt even use Google Maps while walking, on foot. Whats the point of bragging about LTE when you basically need it to use anything, may as well be just 4G.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:07 PM

579 posts, read 1,162,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
I have T-Mobile. They are about 85% as food as AT&T for coverage in my experience. It is rare that I go anywhere and don't have coverage.

They are a very good, very viable choice around Atlanta
I don't have a problem with my coverage as well throughout the Metro area with T-mobile. The unlimited data plan was the best deal they could offer. Being that I am in my home coverage area (metro Atlanta) 85% of the time, I don't have much to complain on. I drive all around the 10-county area and I can't really recall not having LTE coverage.

Yes drop calls will happen, s*** just call em' back

**But yes Verizon is the best hands down. We drove to Florida watching movies and live TV off a friends tablet the entire trip!**
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or