U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 08:43 PM

5,253 posts, read 4,003,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Forget the criminals. I'm more concerned that MARTA attracts a very small, vocal population of irrational fanboys that lose sight of anything resembling logical thought.
You just described yourself perfectly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 06:11 AM

2,747 posts, read 1,698,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Forget the criminals. I'm more concerned that MARTA attracts a very small, vocal population of irrational fanboys that lose sight of anything resembling logical thought.
Citing anecdotes that wildly inflate the dangers of MARTA isn't logical. If the people of this region used logical thought, MARTA would be as robust as Washington or Boston's transit systems. But, no, collectively we still succumb to our latent prejudices and fears whenever we hear that someone (out of thousands upon thousands of other people on the trains and buses) got mugged or had to endure a woman singing Soulja Girl on a train.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:14 AM

2,407 posts, read 2,684,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
You just described yourself perfectly.
I'm a MARTA fanboy?

Really?

Old 12-17-2014, 08:00 AM

23,245 posts, read 17,442,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
I think you miss the point. The point was, when mass transit like Marta moves in, crime goes up. Still doesn't negate the need for it. I get that. However, you can't ignore the mere "500 crimes" you say. Besides, I don't think cities like Roswell, Dunwoody, Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Milton and Cumming have had 5 murders in 10 years let alone the astounding amount of murders and violent assaults one sees on MARTA through the papers on a regular basis?

You just blended in the murders with "a little over 500 crimes"....the problem my friend is that these aren't petty. They involve homicide. THAT's the fear people have....it's one thing to lose your gps sitting on the dash, quite another to lose your life?

Better perspective, isn't it?

Another anecdote....I've lived in my house for 17 plus years....in the first 14 we never had a break-in in the neighborhood of 300 homes.....then Alpharetta High School started bringing in 2nd chance students from South Fulton (read: Kids who's parents don't give a damn and let them run wild as evidenced by their previous engagements with law enforcement ergo, the title 2nd chance...even the South Fulton schools didn't want them)...

Result? 3 hoodies were breaking into houses, police set some traps, voila, caught them all...turns out, they were simply breaking into them ON THE WAY TO SCHOOL IN THE AM!!!!!

Don't try to wash this off on racism, stereotypes...blah blah blah....it is....what it is....as mentioned originally, it's the baggage they bring....ask any landlord in the area, any school administrator.....one kid got his head bashed in with a metal pole cemented into a steel wheel....3 days suspension...said he was defending himself...gang activity....and they let it go.....now, you have YOUR kid go bash someone's skull in claiming the same....good luck with that.....

The problem with liberals is they never, ever know what to do or say when they meet a "liberal" who is a real SOB...do they? Spin it any way you wish (just 500 crimes) but, when the Marta crowd comes, crime goes up. Don't take my word for it, ask the insurance actuaries and see what THEY say....it's NOT an accident when home owner's insurance goes up.

Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, guess what?
MARTA is one of the safest transit systems in north america. You are more like to slip and die in your kitchen than ever be a victim of a crime on MARTA.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:02 AM

29,693 posts, read 27,123,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pemgin View Post
citing anecdotes that wildly inflate the dangers of marta isn't logical. If the people of this region used logical thought, marta would be as robust as washington or boston's transit systems. But, no, collectively we still succumb to our latent prejudices and fears whenever we hear that someone (out of thousands upon thousands of other people on the trains and buses) got mugged or had to endure a woman singing soulja girl on a train.
^this!

Old 12-17-2014, 12:24 PM

2,484 posts, read 1,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Okay, so a little over 500 crimes for the year. And how many riders does MARTA have everyday? Over 200,000? That's not a great chart to use to make an argument.

This is a really embarassing debate to keep having. How many other cities are still having this debate? Very, very few, I'd imagine. Everyone seems to have moved forward on transit except Atlanta.
There are too many myopic individuals in the region that love to revel in ignorance than facts and reality hence why this conversation is still occurring.

If you don't like living in a city with regional mass transit system there is always other regional "big" cities particularly in the South to reside in comfortably without such things...

Old 12-17-2014, 12:30 PM

2,484 posts, read 1,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Lots of cities have this debate.

Regardless of whether the fears about crime and public transit are justified, they are hardly unique to Atlanta.

As I posted earlier, I personally don't see a strong link between transit and serious crime. However, I'm not going to dismiss people's concerns as "just some Atlanta thing."

Let's just look at the evidence. Here's a pretty good article that summarizes some of the other research.
The Effect of Public Transportation on Crime: An Analysis of Durham

"The theoretical predictions of the effect of public transportation on crime have been tested empirically with mixed results. Plano (1993) found no significant relationship between proximity to rail transit stations and crime using data from the opening of stations in the Baltimore Metro system. Block and Block (2000) found a significant positive relationship between proximity to subway stations and street robberies in both the Bronx borough of New York City and the Northeast Side of Chicago. Liggett et al. (2003) found that the Green Line light rail transit system in Los Angeles had no effect on the overall levels of crime and the spatial distribution of crime in Los Angeles. Ihlandfeldt (2003) analyzed Atlanta’s MARTA system to find that the addition of rail transit stations resulted in the increase of crime in the center city, but did not affect crime levels in the outer limits of the city. Denver Regional Transportation District (2006) analyzed crime patterns near stations of the Central Corridor light rail transit line in Denver and found no evidence of an increase in crime as a result of its inception. SANDAG (2009) studied the expansion of the Green Line transit system in San Diego and found that both crime rates and distribution of crime were unaffected by the expansion of the public transportation system, as well as that residents did not feel more or less safe as a result of the expansion. Taken together, these studies indicate variation in the effects of public transportation, suggesting that specific cities respond differently to its expansion. Additionally, the rare statistical significance suggests that the magnitude of the effect of public transportation on crime is likely small."
Perception only becomes reality when one seeks for a confirmation to fit a particular bias...

Old 12-17-2014, 01:29 PM

29,247 posts, read 26,177,667 times
These may not be transit related but they show how transit could bring crime if it did come into Cobb at some point in the future and a bunch of bad guys started using it.

The Marietta Daily Journal - Man is arrested following attack at area hospital

Man gets life in prison for killing over parking space | www.ajc.com

Suspect in $1M Cobb diamond heist nabbed in Florida | www.ajc.com

Last edited by arjay57; 12-17-2014 at 01:50 PM..

Old 12-17-2014, 01:47 PM

2,747 posts, read 1,698,073 times
Since a bunch of anecdotes about crime aboard MARTA have been tossed around, why not one about MARTA stopping it? Has anyone mentioned that Aeman Lovel Presley, the alleged murderer of four people, was captured because he used MARTA? He tried to evade the fare but the MARTA cops were all over him.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:57 PM

10,477 posts, read 7,464,538 times
Yeah, Cobb does not need MARTA to bring it crime. It is already there.

I have never seen crime in my in town neighborhood. But one of my good friends works at Cumberland Mall and a few weeks ago should had to hide all the customers in the back of the store while police took down a criminal hiding in the store after a shootout and high speed chase. Scary stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or