U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 08:41 AM

29,421 posts, read 26,385,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Has anyone compared Lenox square before and after the train station? I don't think the young people hanging out there without buying much have helped the bottom line at all. On weekends it's hard to do much real shopping with all the kids hanging out. I'd say the train has driven my dollars elsewhere.
Things seem better there than they were 10 years ago. However, I'm not a big shopping person and don't go to malls very often. You're more likely to find me at Pike's or Ace hardware or the auto parts place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 08:42 AM

3,521 posts, read 4,264,962 times
Not my point, but you are a predictable reactionary as well, so this comment from you I expected.

Carry-on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Probably about the same as they feel about a Hawaiian named Obama.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 12-12-2014 at 09:03 AM..

Old 12-12-2014, 09:01 AM

6,416 posts, read 4,843,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I'm all for mass transit.

But I will say that many years ago, I was shopping at the Brookhaven Kroger (the one that was once a Harris Teeter, became a Kroger, and I don't know what it is now....Peachtree Rd and N. Druid Hills) and I got panhandled on the way in.

Once inside, I saw the manager and asked him what in the world was going on. This is a nice suburban Kroger in one of the wealthiest areas of Atlanta, why did I get panhandled in front of it? He just shook his head and pointed at the MARTA station across the street.

So I can't say that MARTA actually increases crime, but it would be foolish not to acknowledge that it does bring bad things. They are just outweighed by the good things.
interesting story. BUT if you were a bum, homeless, hungry and needing a quick score, would you go where other bums are in poor shopping areas or get your own exclusive spot at the RICH MAN's Kroger?? Hell the bum could get a bike and get to that store if he wanted to.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:28 AM

6,416 posts, read 4,843,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
More than that, homelessness is a societal issue. No one should be insulated from it. It's like, where should homeless people congregate? It's not like poor neighborhoods welcome panhandlers....
I cant really understand this train of thought. Move away from "bad" people and show surprise when "bad" people follow. The whole "this is my neighborhood and YOU dont belong here has some undertones that remind of the what Ive read about the 1960s.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:33 AM

23,465 posts, read 17,616,911 times
Quote:
Has anyone compared Lenox square before and after the train station? I don't think the young people hanging out there without buying much have helped the bottom line at all. On weekends it's hard to do much real shopping with all the kids hanging out. I'd say the train has driven my dollars elsewhere.
Teenagers have always hang out at malls. Is the difference the color of their skin that makes it uncomfortable and drives you away? Lenox is THE mall in Atlanta and attracts people who just want to hang out and be seen, plus you never know who you might see shopping there.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:40 AM

221 posts, read 357,915 times
I don't want those suburban thugs from Roswell and Alpharetta coming to my Buckhead neighborhood to "hangout"

Old 12-12-2014, 11:21 AM

2,513 posts, read 1,630,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I don't believe that San Jose even has a mass transit system....so we already have better public transportation than the heart of the Silicon Valley.

Edit: further research shows San Jose does have a light rail system. I had never heard of it before.
Yeah, they do...and it has existed since the late 1980s. San Jose isn't some crime haven at all. Believe it or not, the entire San Francisco Bay Area on the public transit forefront is what Metro Atlanta needs to take a note from...seriously

Old 12-12-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Probably about the same as they feel about a Hawaiian named Obama.
You wanna bet...?

***Why am I not surprised?***

Old 12-12-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Huh?

Somehow Perimeter Mall is any better...yeah it has direct transit access too.

*I'm not about to touch this preconceived notion*

Old 12-12-2014, 11:37 AM

124 posts, read 119,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Believe it or not, the entire San Francisco Bay Area on the public transit forefront is what Metro Atlanta needs to take a note from...seriously
The Bay Area is certainly nowhere near the forefront of public transit, the whole mishmash of systems is a mess.

Atlanta has a lot to learn about transit but should not look anywhere near the Bay Area for a model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or