U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 01:02 PM

3,118 posts, read 1,434,987 times

Advertisements

I think that people need to move on. Last time I checked, around 75 per cent of the people who use MARTA are black. Let's be real...people tend to stereotype MARTA users as thugs, crazy people, ghetto, etc. I have heard so many people say these things aloud. This is the reason certain people don't want MARTA in their neighborhoods. They are afraid it will attract these people and 'bring the neighborhood down' as I have heard so often. Other major cities have moved on and accepted mass transit in their communities. The sky did not fall and people were able to have much better options towards commuting (definitely more cost effective). This problem should also be thought of as an economical issue. Some businesses can't even attract workers (low-paying workers who are more likely to rely on public transport) because of no means of reaching the company. Consumers could save money as a result of not having to pay for their county transit and then upon transferring (more than once) paying another set of money. Let's not forget about the people who have to use the express bus. Some people may prefer a cheaper option.

Good infrastructure (among other things) is important to businesses who consider relocating or adding a branch in another city/state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 04:16 PM

29,274 posts, read 26,215,823 times
Silicon valley is probably a lot more biased against minorities than the ATL.

Tech jobs: Minorities have degrees, but don't get hired

What It's Like to Be Black or Female in Silicon Valley - Bloomberg

Old 12-13-2014, 07:09 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,210,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocNY View Post
I don't want those suburban thugs from Roswell and Alpharetta coming to my Buckhead neighborhood to "hangout"
If you can find them I would see your point.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:12 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,210,432 times
It's the stuff mass transit brings. Real or imagined. It similar to when apartments go up. Crime tends to increase. Call it Lowe socioeconomic underpinnings or whatever but, the stats don't lie. One merely has to Lenox mall compared in the late 80's til now.

It's always an uncomfortable subject but a good debate nonetheless. Regardless, the only thing the burbs hate more at a Marta station than a hoodie and tude is to sit on 400 spending 1.5 hours each way, each day.

We need the trains. Put enough cops on them and the immediate impact won't be so bad. Start putting apartments up and I'll show you friction.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:16 PM

561 posts, read 484,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
It's the stuff mass transit brings. Real or imagined. It similar to when apartments go up. Crime tends to increase. Call it Lowe socioeconomic underpinnings or whatever but, the stats don't lie. One merely has to Lenox mall compared in the late 80's til now.

It's always an uncomfortable subject but a good debate nonetheless. Regardless, the only thing the burbs hate more at a Marta station than a hoodie and tude is to sit on 400 spending 1.5 hours each way, each day.

We need the trains. Put enough cops on them and the immediate impact won't be so bad. Start putting apartments up and I'll show you friction.
Exactly. Metro stations DO attract panhandling, among other things. But so what? The game's more than worth the candle.

Last edited by paris-on-ponce; 12-13-2014 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: whoops, meant game not flame.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:49 PM

3,518 posts, read 3,056,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocNY View Post
I don't want those suburban thugs from Roswell and Alpharetta coming to my Buckhead neighborhood to "hangout"
People from my neighborhood, Forest Park, always hang out there. I don't see the problem.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:24 PM

5,198 posts, read 3,463,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
People from my neighborhood, Forest Park, always hang out there. I don't see the problem.
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic with that remark, demonta4.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:42 PM

3,518 posts, read 3,056,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic with that remark, demonta4.
I know. Trying to scare him so they'll be one less person in my at Lenox.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:09 AM

23,287 posts, read 17,474,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post

Amazing you think suburbanites are afraid of apartments while intowners are encouraging apartments around stations. Didn't those uppty suburbanites ever rent?

Old 12-14-2014, 07:48 AM

29,274 posts, read 26,215,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Amazing you think suburbanites are afraid of apartments while intowners are encouraging apartments around stations. Didn't those uppty suburbanites ever rent?
There are bound to be far more apartments in the suburbs than in the city proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or