U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 03:41 PM

2,753 posts, read 1,716,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Yeah, I guess you are right. I never realized how safe the Greyhound and Marta Stations were until you just mentioned it.....must be an anecdote......

Here's an anecdote for you.....

MARTA > MARTA Police > The Departments
Okay, so a little over 500 crimes for the year. And how many riders does MARTA have everyday? Over 200,000? That's not a great chart to use to make an argument.

This is a really embarassing debate to keep having. How many other cities are still having this debate? Very, very few, I'd imagine. Everyone seems to have moved forward on transit except Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 03:55 PM

5,300 posts, read 4,038,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Perhaps you are right, but there are some very nice apartments out my way in the burbs. And, we know folks living out in the burbland apartments who, in fact, do have a choice. I'm curious about the basis for your statement.
Yes, they do exist, but that's why I said "tend" to be. My basis is primarily anecdotal and from my hometown of Conyers, Rockdale County. I can point to very few apartments that even reach middle-income much less high-end status.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:02 PM

29,408 posts, read 26,357,864 times
Quote:
Here's an anecdote for you.....

MARTA > MARTA Police > The Departments
I'd like to know what kind of commotion people are getting into on the Mobility bus.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:17 PM

1,151 posts, read 979,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I shopped at Krogers, Wal-Marts, Food Lions, and many big box grocery stores in many rural areas...and I have been panhandled by typically impoverished looking couples who often slept in their cars. More often than not, they would have kids in tow.

No transit around.

But I suppose some people simply can't help but stay wedded to those old "transit = crime & poor quality-of-life" narratives.

Georgia is such a butt-backwards place with a lot of paleolithic thought processes.

I can see why no "Silicon Valley" type of area will ever have a chance in hades of cropping up here anytime soon. Too much of that old-world thinking around these parts.

To be fair, Silicon Valley doesn't have much transit either.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:26 PM

1,655 posts, read 1,742,176 times
My words are in bold.

Quote:
I guess there must be a problem because the Marta chief says it's getting bedduh....

That's a curious spelling of the word better. I wonder what your motive is.

Stuff Black People Don't Like - SBPDL: 30+ "Teens" Attack people on MARTA in Atlanta: How not reporting 30 "Black Teens Attack" is the true evil

This post from the local racist blog cleared it up for me. Thanks.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:43 PM

23,448 posts, read 17,594,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
In our neighborhood, we've had a surge of people walking who didn't look like they belonged just before the last two surges of break-ins. Its a lot easier to scope a neighborhood on foot. In a car, you are way too obvious and with plates are easier to identify.

I just know I wouldn't live in a single family home less than a mile from a train station (high rise would be different). I do have friends who live close to the East Lake MARTA station and have lots of crime.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't normally more crime within a half mile or so of a station than in the adjacent areas further away. Even if they don't use the train for the crime, there's a familiarity factor.
I live in Kirkwood and can tell you MARTA brings none of the crime into the neighborhood. They steal cars, than break into homes, ditch the cars after storing the loot. No one commits a crime, then boards a train or bus with cameras everywhere.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:01 PM

29,949 posts, read 27,432,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
To follow on this, the apartments that do exist in the suburbs tend to be people that have no choice. A few students, but mostly "the poor." Apartments in the suburbs offer no advantages to a house, rental or owned. When apartments are near transit, they offer the advantage of convenience, which many people will trade off the advantages of a house for.
This is so off-base until it's not even funny.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:16 PM

29,408 posts, read 26,357,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
This is a really embarassing debate to keep having. How many other cities are still having this debate? Very, very few, I'd imagine. Everyone seems to have moved forward on transit except Atlanta.
Lots of cities have this debate.

Regardless of whether the fears about crime and public transit are justified, they are hardly unique to Atlanta.

As I posted earlier, I personally don't see a strong link between transit and serious crime. However, I'm not going to dismiss people's concerns as "just some Atlanta thing."

Let's just look at the evidence. Here's a pretty good article that summarizes some of the other research.
The Effect of Public Transportation on Crime: An Analysis of Durham

"The theoretical predictions of the effect of public transportation on crime have been tested empirically with mixed results. Plano (1993) found no significant relationship between proximity to rail transit stations and crime using data from the opening of stations in the Baltimore Metro system. Block and Block (2000) found a significant positive relationship between proximity to subway stations and street robberies in both the Bronx borough of New York City and the Northeast Side of Chicago. Liggett et al. (2003) found that the Green Line light rail transit system in Los Angeles had no effect on the overall levels of crime and the spatial distribution of crime in Los Angeles. Ihlandfeldt (2003) analyzed Atlanta’s MARTA system to find that the addition of rail transit stations resulted in the increase of crime in the center city, but did not affect crime levels in the outer limits of the city. Denver Regional Transportation District (2006) analyzed crime patterns near stations of the Central Corridor light rail transit line in Denver and found no evidence of an increase in crime as a result of its inception. SANDAG (2009) studied the expansion of the Green Line transit system in San Diego and found that both crime rates and distribution of crime were unaffected by the expansion of the public transportation system, as well as that residents did not feel more or less safe as a result of the expansion. Taken together, these studies indicate variation in the effects of public transportation, suggesting that specific cities respond differently to its expansion. Additionally, the rare statistical significance suggests that the magnitude of the effect of public transportation on crime is likely small."

Old 12-15-2014, 07:40 PM
bu2

10,077 posts, read 6,460,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Anecdote does not equal fact. I am sure someone has scoped out an area on foot before. But the reality that bu2 says that he has noticed people on foot that do not belong further proves it is a bad way to commit crimes because it is more noticeable.

My neighborhood is somewhat walkable and transit connected. However, the crimes are done by people that drive in from outside the city. Even walkers are mugged by people that drive by and hop out of their car or someone that has a get away car waiting around the corner.

But neither of the Anecdotes disprove the reality of the cited studies that show that MARTA does not increase crime.
You don't understand how it works. One person or group scopes it out. A couple weeks later no one remembers what they look like. And its often a different person actually committing the crime.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:47 AM

10,593 posts, read 7,530,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
You don't understand how it works. One person or group scopes it out. A couple weeks later no one remembers what they look like. And its often a different person actually committing the crime.
How do you explain the lack of statistics to support your claim that crime increases?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or