U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2014, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 794 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a 17 year old who recently got into an accident where I was blamed even though I didn't cause it. I was rear ended in my Sedan by another teenager in a SUV the second after I came to a stop which sent me into the stationary truck in front of me and the truck into the SUV infront of it. There really wasn't much damage between the back of my car and the SUV which rear ended me because it was more of a bump. The front of my car however looked pretty damaged, but for a reason. The truck in front of me had a tow hitch which pushed though my grill and my bumper pretty much fell down. A teeny tiny bit on the tip of my hood was bent too. Both my front lights remained in tact. Their was slight damage to the back of his truck. The front of his truck was pretty bad, but the SUV in front of the truck had marginal damage to his rear bumper. When the crash happened, the girl in the SUV who rear ended me jumped out the car and ran up to us and yelled out "Are you guys alright, I'm so sorry, this is all my fault!" All the other drivers heard her say it, including the passenger that was with the truck driver in front of me. Well, when the police came, the girls story changed and she and her passenger who I assume was her friend said they came and hit me after I had already hit the truck in front of me. I definitely did not hit the truck in front of me so hard that it got pushed into the SUV in front of it. My airbags didn't even go off and neither did the trucks. Here's the real kicker, the driver of the SUV in front of the truck told the police he felt 2 impacts and lo and behold, I was put at fault. If the girl in the SUV came and hit me so hard that the the SUV driver in the front of the pileup felt a distinct impact after I had hit the truck and SUV, there should be way more damage to the rear of my car, but no, there isn't even a dent where she hit me. There are plenty of reasons why the SUV driver could felt what seemed like a second impact, such as the car bouncing from having the brakes locked. So yeah, I was put at fault for the truck and the SUV and girl was put at fault for the rear of my car. Me and the girl in the SUV behind me received a ticket for Following to Closely. Since this is my first ticket my dad decided to try to fight it in court hoping maybe the officer won't show up or maybe the court might show me some mercy. Is there any way I can prove to the court that I shouldn't be guilty. I found dash cam footage on YouTube where a car was rear ended and sent into the car in front of it and the car it hit felt 2 impacts, 1 impact from the car that hit it and another where the car kinda bounced because the brakes were locked. Had the police asked that driver how many impacts they felt they would have said 2 even though they were only hit once. I also have pictures from the accident scene. Also, I don't understand why the cops didn't care about the fact that she pretty much admitted fault in front of the all the drivers. Just another thing too, the passenger of the truck driver in front of me appears on the accident report even though she left before the cops came. Her address is wrong too, instead of her address, the drivers address is listed. Is there anyone I could get it thrown out since I'm arguing that I wasnt following to closely but the girl behind me was, and we both received tickets for Following to Closely. Like I said before, I've been driving for close to a year now and this is my first ticket. Do you think they might be lenient towards me? Me nor anyone in my family have ever been to traffic court so I have no clue what to expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 06:52 AM

1,957 posts, read 2,007,113 times
First off, learn to use paragraphs.

Second, you had better get your story air tight, your demeanor serious and business-like, and show up to court in a suit and tie. Traffic court = kangaroo court and everyone in there will be biased again you as a 17 yr old that has only been driving for a year.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:56 AM

11 posts, read 5,273 times
Yes, because of your age and inexperience, it is possible they will be more lenient toward you. However, there are a couple of things to keep in mind. It really doesn't matter if the person behind you was at fault. The judge and police will tell you that you are always supposed to leave enough room between you and the car in front of you no matter what happens. If the car in front of you brakes for a squirrel, it's still your fault if you hit them. If the car behind you throws you into the car in front of you, it's usually your fault.

That said, my son was in a car accident with his 17 year old friend driving and the ticket was the same as yours. The friend was able to get the fine reduced. I don't think you can get the whole thing thrown out unless nobody else shows up. But It is definitely worth going to court. Be respectful and not defensive...following too closely is following too closely. You could say you really felt you HAD left plenty of room and you weren't expecting the car behind you to hit you with such impact. Be sure to tell the judge you will be extra aware of that distance from now on.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or