U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 08:19 AM

1,405 posts, read 1,165,388 times

Advertisements

Close to 2000 sq ft house in the city of atlanta. Runs between $35 and $50/month with 2 people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 09:19 AM

1,688 posts, read 1,688,837 times
Ours is same as arjay and we have a well also. I think before we got the well when we watered our yard with city water it was about $400/month in the summer for one acre. You can have a separate meter installed for the outdoor water so it is not billed at the sewer rate.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:30 AM

28,237 posts, read 24,838,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
It is lucky for Atlanta that Millenials love huge water/sewer bills.
With their lawnophobia they shouldn't have to worry about it as long as they are not taking 20 minute showers every day and constantly flushing the toilet.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:26 PM

159 posts, read 143,026 times
Well, that's all good news. There must be a leak of some sort. I will run a leak test before Monday and call the water/sewer department and beg for a credit.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:58 PM

561 posts, read 312,202 times
What has happened in Atlanta is that they might be billing you for all the water used between the previous owner's last reading and your first reading. If the house had been unoccupied for some time and had people using the house, or even a small leak, you would have been billed for all their usage as well as yours.
If the initial meter reading on your first bill is the same as the last reading for the previous owner's bill, then that's what happened. I have no idea how you would find that out except by going to their office and sitting at someone's desk. I have read the the water department's belief is that "well, someone has to pay for the water".

You might suppose that they would come out and read the meter to get the initial reading when you opened the account, but it appears that doesn't happen.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:19 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,495,214 times
I'm constantly battling with the Dept of Watershed. I was just on the news last weekend speaking about their incompetence. Much of this week was spent going back n forth with one of their attorney's on another issue.

I bought a foreclosure with a water lien. I'm happy to pay the lien. HOWEVER, come to find out that the city has just been giving this guy free water FOR SEVEN YEARS! What incentive does this guy have to pay???

The previous owner made some sporadic pmts here and there, but no excuse for how long the city let it drag out. The former owner still occupies the home. The city says they are now going remove the water meter and remove any chance of him reconnecting. Too little too late. Bill ballooned over $5,000.

The previous owner made a single $50 pmt in 2011. That would have been a good year to remove the meter.

I'm trying to do a another TV interview to put pressure on the dept to settle the matter. I've offered them a significant sum of money to settle, but they are maintaining the full balance is due.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
If the house had been unoccupied for some time and had people using the house, or even a small leak, you would have been billed for all their usage as well as yours. If the initial meter reading on your first bill is the same as the last reading for the previous owner's bill, then that's what happened. I have no idea how you would find that out except by going to their office and sitting at someone's desk. I have read the the water department's belief is that "well, someone has to pay for the water".

You might suppose that they would come out and read the meter to get the initial reading when you opened the account, but it appears that doesn't happen.
I don't know when exactly the former owners moved out, but it wasn't long before we moved in. I would like to know for sure what the meter read on their final reading!

Old 12-13-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
I'm constantly battling with the Dept of Watershed. I was just on the news last weekend speaking about their incompetence. Much of this week was spent going back n forth with one of their attorney's on another issue.

I bought a foreclosure with a water lien. I'm happy to pay the lien. HOWEVER, come to find out that the city has just been giving this guy free water FOR SEVEN YEARS! What incentive does this guy have to pay???

The previous owner made some sporadic pmts here and there, but no excuse for how long the city let it drag out. The former owner still occupies the home. The city says they are now going remove the water meter and remove any chance of him reconnecting. Too little too late. Bill ballooned over $5,000.

The previous owner made a single $50 pmt in 2011. That would have been a good year to remove the meter.

I'm trying to do a another TV interview to put pressure on the dept to settle the matter. I've offered them a significant sum of money to settle, but they are maintaining the full balance is due.
This does not bode well! Unbelievable!

Old 12-15-2014, 10:34 AM

3,213 posts, read 4,527,285 times
Just go look at your meter and see if it's moving. There should be absolutely no movement unless someone is running a fixture.

Mine is like $80 for a 2/2 condo.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:53 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,495,214 times
Just settled with the city. Not exactly what I wanted to pay, but better than full freight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or