Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 04:02 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,948 times

Advertisements

I've got two dishes that I'd just like to buy as opposed to cook for Christmas. One is pineapple upside down cake. The other is Mexican cornbread.

Neither seem all that popular in Atlanta, but if the mood so strikes me, I might consider claiming I cooked them myself so I want them to taste good.

Any recommendations for where I can buy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 05:04 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,487,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I've got two dishes that I'd just like to buy as opposed to cook for Christmas. One is pineapple upside down cake. The other is Mexican cornbread.

Neither seem all that popular in Atlanta, but if the mood so strikes me, I might consider claiming I cooked them myself so I want them to taste good.

Any recommendations for where I can buy?
I would start my search for that kind of cake at the bakeries at grocery stores like Publix and Kroger.

McEntyre's Bakery in Smyrna sells a Pineapple Upside Down Cake:
Pineapple Upside Down

Thompson Brothers BBQ in Smyrna also sells Pineapple Upside Down Cake and does some catering:
Thompson Brothers BBQ - Best Barbeque in Smyrna/Atlanta

Thompson Brothers BBQ

Old 12-13-2014, 05:07 AM

Cakes & Ale Restaurant, Bar and Café in Decatur is also someplace that you may be able to look for a Pineapple Upside Down Cake.

Cakes & Ale

Another place that you could try looking for Pineapple Upside Down Cake is at The Spence in Midtown Atlanta where one of the nation's best pastry chef's specialties is Pineapple Upside Down Cake:
Quote:
Andrea Litvin of the Spence has been named one of the nation's seven best pastry chefs. Tasting Table recognizes her ability to put unique spins— like pineapple upside down cake with foie caramel— on familiar desserts: "But in the hands of Andrea Litvin, even the most recognizable dishes become vehicles for surprise."
http://atlanta.eater.com/2013/3/1/6473537/awards-season

http://www.thespenceatl.com/

Last edited by Born 2 Roll; 12-13-2014 at 05:19 AM..

Old 12-13-2014, 05:34 AM

As for places that you may be able to find Mexican Cornbread...

One Star Ranch in Buckhead:
One Star Ranch - Buckhead - Atlanta | Urbanspoon

Atlanta BBQ | Atlanta Catering

Rib Ranch BBQ on Canton Road in Marietta (Rib Ranch BBQ sells dishes in bulk for catering and party purposes):
Bulk and Party Menu - Best BBQ In Atlanta | Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Catering!

I hope that this information is helpful and I hope that you have a Happy Holiday Season.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:17 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,948 times
Born 2 Roll, you're the absolute best! I have to spread some more rep first, but I will look into these. I have passed by McEntyres in Smyrna, but I'll look into the entire list. Thanks again!

Old 12-13-2014, 07:54 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,538 times
I don't know if you'd be interested or not... but The Cheesecake Factory makes Pineapple Upside down cheesecake which is basically cheesecake sandwiched between two pieces of pineapple upside down cake. It really is pretty tasty!

Old 12-13-2014, 08:30 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,993,218 times
I just repped born 2 roll for you. Man, pineapple upside down cake from mcIntyres sounds heavenly.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:55 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,248,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Born 2 Roll, you're the absolute best! I have to spread some more rep first, but I will look into these. I have passed by McEntyres in Smyrna, but I'll look into the entire list. Thanks again!
Born 2 Roll is, by far and wide, the most informative poster on here, and very polite as well.

Now I'm craving cake.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:07 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,235,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
Born 2 Roll is, by far and wide, the most informative poster on here, and very polite as well.

Now I'm craving cake.
Agree - I learn a lot from B2R's posts, including the one in this thread about Mcentyres. I've driven past that bakery numerous times, but never felt compelled to stop. Now I want to go there right away after checking out their website

Old 12-13-2014, 01:41 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,049 times
I went to our local Ingles grocery store yesterday & spotted pineapple upside-down cake on the serving line at their deli meal area. It was wonderful & the best I've had in years!
I suggest that if you have an Ingles nearby, you stop in and see if they offer it in their deli & try a sample. If you like it, then the next step is to see if they can bake a complete, full-sized cake for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta