U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-13-2015, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Georgia
4,987 posts, read 4,023,914 times
Reputation: 2790

Advertisements

How on earth did a thread about the Hawks turn into a discussion on police brutality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-14-2015, 12:05 AM
 
939 posts, read 448,243 times
Reputation: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I'm guessing you've never had an encounter with the NYPD? Non-compliance in their world means you aren't handcuffing yourself while they choke and curse you out in broad daylight.
LOL, nah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
How on earth did a thread about the Hawks turn into a discussion on police brutality.
You serious? Thabo's an important defensive piece for the Hawks. Thabo suffered an injury when the NYPD officers gracefully handcuffed him. Thabo's out indefinitely (fractured fibula and ligament damage). Yeah, this isn't relevant at all.

Well, Brooklyn loss again and is now in the lottery...so, that's cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2015, 12:55 AM
 
Location: Formerly Pleasanton Ca, now in Marietta Ga
4,164 posts, read 3,442,568 times
Reputation: 5731
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigATL View Post
You say the Hawks have Bandwagons but, Cavs, OKC, Golden State and the Bulls have the most bandwagon fans!
I have to disagree. I've been a warrior fan since 1972. Outside of a championship a few good teams we haven't had a lot to cheer about. But even when we were losing a lot-like when we had Mike Dunleavy, we always had great fan support. Filled arenas nightly for a losing team, it was always a lot of fun because everyone local here loved the warriors.
I know east coast doesn't follow much west coast because of time difference, but if you were local you'd know the scoop. I think the rest of the NBA is just starting to pay attention now that the warriors are playing so well and finally have 2 all stars. We haven't had an all star in a gazillion years.

That being said I would say the most bandwagon fans ever have been the Miami Heat. If they weren't winning I saw fans leave early on national TV. Here in Oakland not many leave early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2015, 10:04 AM
 
985 posts, read 1,434,115 times
Reputation: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I have to disagree. I've been a warrior fan since 1972. Outside of a championship a few good teams we haven't had a lot to cheer about. But even when we were losing a lot-like when we had Mike Dunleavy, we always had great fan support. Filled arenas nightly for a losing team, it was always a lot of fun because everyone local here loved the warriors.
I know east coast doesn't follow much west coast because of time difference, but if you were local you'd know the scoop. I think the rest of the NBA is just starting to pay attention now that the warriors are playing so well and finally have 2 all stars. We haven't had an all star in a gazillion years.

That being said I would say the most bandwagon fans ever have been the Miami Heat. If they weren't winning I saw fans leave early on national TV. Here in Oakland not many leave early.
I can vouch for Warriors fans, they are not bandwagon fans. I went to Oracle Arena circa 2011, it's a dump. They were playing the lowly Raptors at the time. Both teams were awful, but the place atmosphere was great and the place was packed. The next week, I went to watch my beloved Hawks play the same Raptors and the place was a mausoleum, we were a 50 win team that year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2015, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Georgia
4,987 posts, read 4,023,914 times
Reputation: 2790
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
You serious? Thabo's an important defensive piece for the Hawks. Thabo suffered an injury when the NYPD officers gracefully handcuffed him. Thabo's out indefinitely (fractured fibula and ligament damage). Yeah, this isn't relevant at all.

Well, Brooklyn loss again and is now in the lottery...so, that's cool.
omg dude you just won the internet!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2015, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Georgia
4,987 posts, read 4,023,914 times
Reputation: 2790
Whoa. I just saw the story about Thabo Sefolosha.

I retract my earlier comments. Wow...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2015, 03:49 PM
 
939 posts, read 448,243 times
Reputation: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Whoa. I just saw the story about Thabo Sefolosha.

I retract my earlier comments. Wow...
You're alright. This issue is already bigger than the Atlanta Hawks right now. Thing is police brutality very well could have affected this team (trying to remain unbiased).

Thabo blames NYPD for injuries

Source: Thabo Sefolosha provoked by NYPD before arrest

I'm going to keep my personal feeling to myself regarding the non basketball related "bigger picture." People can't honestly read this story, the police reports, watch the videos, etc & still say that "they (Thabo & Pero) have only themselves to blame" or any other garbage that I have seen some people write.

At least we get to get to pick either #10, #11, or #15 in this upcoming draft. The Pacers did the Hawks a favor and beat the Wiz yesterday to hold on to the 8th seed in the East....they play Memphis next but Memphis has a lot riding on that game so....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2015, 04:41 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
7,805 posts, read 11,774,445 times
Reputation: 5417
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
At least we get to get to pick either #10, #11, or #15 in this upcoming draft. The Pacers did the Hawks a favor and beat the Wiz yesterday to hold on to the 8th seed in the East....they play Memphis next but Memphis has a lot riding on that game so....
Tonight is going to be fun! Honestly, I hope Memphis slaughters Indiana tonight since they've been really good the last few weeks. Brooklyn would be the easier opponent for the first round. Yeah, we'll lose out on a lottery pick, but that be worth it to come in to the second round not exhausted. And before anyone says I'm being premature, I watch Joe Johnson go colder than a fish on ice during the playoffs for five years here and two years in Brooklyn. It'll happen again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2015, 04:47 PM
 
Location: ATLANTA
708 posts, read 781,118 times
Reputation: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Tonight is going to be fun! Honestly, I hope Memphis slaughters Indiana tonight since they've been really good the last few weeks. Brooklyn would be the easier opponent for the first round. Yeah, we'll lose out on a lottery pick, but that be worth it to come in to the second round not exhausted. And before anyone says I'm being premature, I watch Joe Johnson go colder than a fish on ice during the playoffs for five years here and two years in Brooklyn. It'll happen again.
Well, I slick agree because I really want the hawks To get that lottery pick but, I want to come back and beat the pacers.So tonight, it really doesn't matter who wins to me because it will be easy for us to win against both in the playoffs.I hope we can go all the way this year and bring home a ring, because we really need one,no joke.But all I got to say is ""if we get a ring here for Atlanta,This city will SHUTDOWN!!!""
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2015, 05:14 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
7,805 posts, read 11,774,445 times
Reputation: 5417
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigATL View Post
Well, I slick agree because I really want the hawks To get that lottery pick but, I want to come back and beat the pacers.So tonight, it really doesn't matter who wins to me because it will be easy for us to win against both in the playoffs.I hope we can go all the way this year and bring home a ring, because we really need one,no joke.But all I got to say is ""if we get a ring here for Atlanta,This city will SHUTDOWN!!!""
Oh, I'm so ready. There are a lot of people here now that were either not alive or lived elsewhere when the early 90s Braves were on their run. It was electric, and when they won the World Series, it was a like bomb went off. There were half a million plus people on Peachtree Downtown for the parade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top