U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite mall?
Gwinnett Place 1 2.08%
North Dekalb 2 4.17%
South Dekalb 2 4.17%
Perimeter 37 77.08%
Stonecrest 4 8.33%
West End 0 0%
North Point 4 8.33%
Greenbriar 0 0%
Cumberland 7 14.58%
Southlake 3 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 08:47 PM

1,000 posts, read 556,340 times

Advertisements

Shannon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 09:45 PM

4,648 posts, read 3,034,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
shannon
lol!

Old 12-14-2014, 04:25 AM

4,353 posts, read 6,952,523 times
I've only been to Gwinnett Place, Perimeter, Stonecrest and Cumberland out of those you listed.. out of those 4 I chose Perimeter. Because you can get there via MARTA and I like the layout.

Least favorite is Stonecrest. No offense to those who like it, but it was too ghetto fabulous for my taste.

Personal favorite in ATL is Lenox. 2nd runner up is MOG. Big surprises there.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:57 AM

3,973 posts, read 4,573,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris-on-ponce View Post
How so? (I'm not at all disagreeing, just curious how you mean)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
What? I would also like to know what you mean by this.
well, first, architecturally. the "round" part of the mall added on in the 1980s actually won several design awards for innovation. this picture is not exactly good quality, but it will give you some idea of what it looked like:

there were lots of fountains, vertical greening (those are actual ivy plants), and there was extensive use of natural sunlight and mirrors to create the effect that the mall was much bigger than it was. curved surfaces were all over the place; it looked both futuristic and somehow natural.

over the years, facets of the original architecture were destroyed one by one, mostly since the early 2000s. today, there are no remaining water features, no more plantings, and the curved surfaces have been planed down. it looks bland; the current design elicits both money and a lack of taste, which is probably a good example of what buckhead is today: a vertical version of beverly hills.

secondly, the mall used to be home to a greater variety of stores and restaurants for people of all income levels, and all ages. there were kiosks located all throughout the mall for those that couldn't afford full stores, and it had the effect of a marketplace: local stores were mixed throughout the mall alongside national stores, there were large stores for kids (anyone remember FAO Schwartz?), music stores, a pipe and cigar store, and there was a lot more flexibility for retailers to locate things like restaurants in differing areas of the mall. there were stores on the outside of the mall, as well. the parking deck area used to have restaurants and stores along a walkway; now, this space is used for offices, a police precinct, and a gym. in addition, there used to be a movie theatre in the mall.

the mall today is becoming more and more of a boutique outlet for very expensive and exclusive retailers, and the stores are now almost all nationally known designers and chains. the biggest effect is the rental increase. one by one, many of my favourite retailers were priced out because the rents became so high. from what i understand, spaces now start at well above $10,000 a month. buckhead has become an international centre for the noveau-riche, and there is no longer any room for children, older adults, and anyone who makes under $400,000 a year, and the evolution of lenox square serves as a microcosm for what has occured.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:54 AM

2,611 posts, read 548,865 times
Poor Gwinnett Place and North DeKalb...they are as good as dead.

I voted for Perimeter---like the mix of stores. Mall of Georgia is pretty similar and then some (and closer to me), but that wasn't an option.

Surprised that you didn't include the open-air malls like the Forum and Avalon...

Old 12-14-2014, 06:57 AM

3,454 posts, read 2,835,130 times
I can't really decide which mall is my favorite, so i'm just gonna chose Southlake because I grew up with it. Stole this review from yelp.
Quote:
Alright.. now this isn't your Lenox Mall or Perimeter Mall but it is fairly decent. I am giving it 5 stars to balance out the bad reviews from people! Its not a discount mall.. It has many nice stores like Macys, Express, The Limited, Children's Place, Victoria's Secret, Aeropostale, Bath Body & Works, Spencer Gifts, Hot Topic, New York & Company, Foot Locker, etc. These are typical stores of any mall - Yes... there is no Salvatore Ferragamo, Louis Vuitton, FENDI and David Yurman... but seriously.. how many of you shop there on a daily basis! Even I cant on my RN salary!

Anyways, I found a great Calvin Klein Suit for my interview tomorrow, I probably will not be shopping here for long since I plan to move closer to the city but for now, its will be my go to mall!

Happy Shopping!!
I love Lenox and Perimeter as much as everybody else, but they can never be my favorite. They are just too upscale for me to shop on a daily basis, and they lack personality. I'll always root for the Gwinett Place and Southlake type malls. Not too expensive, but not discount stores.

My least favorite malls are Greenbriar and South Dekalb. I'm not even sure why these are still standing, especially Greenbriar.

Last edited by demonta4; 12-14-2014 at 07:07 AM..

Old 12-14-2014, 08:30 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,543,051 times
I hate them all. I prefer outdoor malls

Old 12-14-2014, 08:45 AM

28,185 posts, read 24,739,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
the mall today is becoming more and more of a boutique outlet for very expensive and exclusive retailers, and the stores are now almost all nationally known designers and chains. the biggest effect is the rental increase. one by one, many of my favourite retailers were priced out because the rents became so high. from what i understand, spaces now start at well above $10,000 a month. buckhead has become an international centre for the noveau-riche, and there is no longer any room for children, older adults, and anyone who makes under $400,000 a year, and the evolution of lenox square serves as a microcosm for what has occured.
Don't the well to do deserve a place to shop just like everybody else? Many are charitable, hardworking decent folks who simply made it to the top of heap. A lot of them started out with very modest means but they applied themselves and were frugal. I see no reason why the winners should have to "shop down" in order to comply with someone's notion of political correctness.

Also bear in mind that a lot of people who don't have big bucks like to shop in very expensive stores as well. They may not actually be loaded but they enjoy presenting that image. Why shouldn't they be able to do so?

Old 12-14-2014, 09:10 AM

3,973 posts, read 4,573,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Don't the well to do deserve a place to shop just like everybody else? Many are charitable, hardworking decent folks who simply made it to the top of heap. A lot of them started out with very modest means but they applied themselves and were frugal. I see no reason why the winners should have to "shop down" in order to comply with someone's notion of political correctness.

Also bear in mind that a lot of people who don't have big bucks like to shop in very expensive stores as well. They may not actually be loaded but they enjoy presenting that image. Why shouldn't they be able to do so?
what the hell are you on about? i never said rich people don't deserve a place to shop, i said that lenox square has narrowed its target demographic so that it doesn't appeal to everyone like it used to— just very high-income people in their 20s, 30s, and 40s, and that i don't feel it's as fun of a place as it used to be. how does that warrant your response of "how dare you try to limit the shopping habits of the helpless rich people?"

Old 12-14-2014, 10:26 AM

28,185 posts, read 24,739,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
what the hell are you on about? i never said rich people don't deserve a place to shop, i said that lenox square has narrowed its target demographic so that it doesn't appeal to everyone like it used to— just very high-income people in their 20s, 30s, and 40s, and that i don't feel it's as fun of a place as it used to be. how does that warrant your response of "how dare you try to limit the shopping habits of the helpless rich people?"
Okay, I thought you were arguing that they have "ruined" Lenox square.

And I'm certainly not saying anything like "how dare you try to limit the shopping habits of the helpless rich people?"

I'm just saying hardworking well to do folks might like to have a nice place to shop, as well as people who haven't made it yet but want to appear like they have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or