Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite mall?
Gwinnett Place 1 2.08%
North Dekalb 2 4.17%
South Dekalb 2 4.17%
Perimeter 37 77.08%
Stonecrest 4 8.33%
West End 0 0%
North Point 4 8.33%
Greenbriar 0 0%
Cumberland 7 14.58%
Southlake 3 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 10:43 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times

Advertisements

Like demonta4, I'm also surprised that Gwinnett Place hasn't even yet received one vote at least for how overwhelmingly popular the mall used to be in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 08:39 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,086 times
Gwinnett Place is a ghost of it's former self, and with so many popular stores gone, there is no reason to go there.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:39 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
I'll cave and give Gwinnett Place its lonely vote.

It is still good for Sears tools and some home stuff. They have an amazing collection of work boots, which admittedly says something about clientele trends... still good to have sometimes.

The Macy's is really large. It use to be one of Rich's larger stores back in the day. If you need a Macys and you're nearby Gwinnett Place there is no reason to avoid it.

Now with that said.... I admit I never walk through the mall. I just go there for specific things, usually at those two stores. For the smaller shops I'm more likely to go to the Avenue, The Forum, or just drive up to the Mall of Georgia.

I gave Stonecrest a vote. It is easy for me to get to when I don't want to deal with some traffic in Gwinnett, Dekalb, or Fulton. There isn't much growth north of Stonecrest into Gwinnett, so the traffic is fairly light much of the time.

It doesn't have much competition and it is a solid middle of the road mall.

I voted for Perimeter for many of the same reasons as most others already have.

Of course Mall of Georgia would be my favorite. The one thing I want to point out, even though it has been excluded, is I like those little oddball local shops. There is one shop that has Lake Lanier themed folksy home stuff, as well as a wide array of photo posters of the city. I just have to appreciate things like that.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:10 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
I can see North DeKalb and Northlake being redeveloped in the near future. Both are surrounded by stable neighborhoods that are not decreasing in value, or popularity. They are also close-in to the core.

Not really sure what to expect for Gwinnett Place in the near term or the timeline, but I have a very positive view of that area going forward. There is a desire to make this the 'corporate district' of Gwinnett, and the powers-that-be there can certainly pull it off.

I'm not really familiar enough with the other malls around town to predict or comment.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:11 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
North DeKalb is totally prime.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:10 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,360,940 times
Southlake is soo much better than Ghost town Gwinnett Place. Southlake may not have the stores you want, but at least it still has stores. Leave the anchor stores at Gwinnett and everything is shuttered.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:20 PM

783 posts, read 1,161,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Like demonta4, I'm also surprised that Gwinnett Place hasn't even yet received one vote at least for how overwhelmingly popular the mall used to be in the past.
Okay, many of you know me and my focus on Atlanta as a destination for used CD and book stores, but I am also searching for something on the level of the old Tower Records, a hug selection of new material, music, books, comics, movies, all the good stuff.

Borders was pretty good, very good, really, and always worth a stop. Are all the Borders store in Atlanta closed, or am I just not looking in the right places any more?

Tower Records is greatly missed... is there anywhere that even comes close in the Atlanta area now?

I sure haven't found any place, if there is... any tips?

Old 12-27-2014, 01:54 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
These are some really good questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Dockery View Post
Okay, many of you know me and my focus on Atlanta as a destination for used CD and book stores, but I am also searching for something on the level of the old Tower Records, a hug selection of new material, music, books, comics, movies, all the good stuff.

Borders was pretty good, very good, really, and always worth a stop. Are all the Borders store in Atlanta closed, or am I just not looking in the right places any more?
Unfortunately all of the Borders stores in Atlanta and everywhere else (except for a few places overseas) are closed as Borders went bankrupt and ceased operations in 2011.

I know that rival bookseller Barnes & Noble bought some of Borders' trademarks and customer lists before Borders ceased operations. Barnes & Noble most likely might be the place to look if you are looking for some of the same items and services that Borders offered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Dockery View Post
Tower Records is greatly missed... is there anywhere that even comes close in the Atlanta area now?

I sure haven't found any place, if there is... any tips?
I'm not necessarily sure that there is anywhere remaining that comes close to Tower Records....That's because of the change in the marketplace from physical books and CDs to seemingly digitized everything (digitized books, digitized/online music, even digitized/online movies).

We seem to particularly be in an era where Compact Discs appear to be about to join cassette tapes, 8-track tapes and vinyl records in the technological dustbin of history.

Outside of big-box stores like Best Buy, Target and Walmart and a few surviving small mom-and-pop stores where vinyl enthusiasts go to look for records, much (if not most) of the music that is purchased these days (on the occasions that music is still purchased) is purchased online and downloaded onto digital devices that often can hold tens-of-thousands of songs. YouTube is also a good place to go to listen to music and watch music videos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta