U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 09:28 PM

125 posts, read 178,670 times

Advertisements

Smyrna does not has nice schools. A family moved in Johns Creek from Smyrna because of lack of good middle and high schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 01:26 PM

89 posts, read 114,021 times
Default Atlanta Traffic Not As Bad as California's

Well since you've lived in California, then you'll find out Atlanta's traffic is no where near as bad as Los Angeles or San Francisco area during rush hour or on the weekends.

The 405 and the 101 in LA are parking lots from 7am-8pm near I-10 and thru Hollywood it seems. Atlanta traffic is only bad during rush hour and ball games.

And the San Fran 101 and bridges during rush hour are WAY worse than Atlanta traffic.

After living on the west coast and coming back to Atlanta, I don't understand why people are complaining about our traffic, when I can think of 5 cities that are way worse (NYC tunnels, DC, Seattle, San Fran, LA). And I'll throw in Austin as an up and coming honorable mention...

Guess Atlanta has a bunch of people from smaller towns that haven't commuted in larger cities.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:36 PM

6 posts, read 4,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLfromJAX View Post
Well since you've lived in California, then you'll find out Atlanta's traffic is no where near as bad as Los Angeles or San Francisco area during rush hour or on the weekends.

The 405 and the 101 in LA are parking lots from 7am-8pm near I-10 and thru Hollywood it seems. Atlanta traffic is only bad during rush hour and ball games.

And the San Fran 101 and bridges during rush hour are WAY worse than Atlanta traffic.

After living on the west coast and coming back to Atlanta, I don't understand why people are complaining about our traffic, when I can think of 5 cities that are way worse (NYC tunnels, DC, Seattle, San Fran, LA). And I'll throw in Austin as an up and coming honorable mention...

Guess Atlanta has a bunch of people from smaller towns that haven't commuted in larger cities.

Hahahah I was thinking the same thing! 101 and 405 are crazy 7 days a week! There's no hours around it and the weekends don't matter. Living in Miami I can time the traffic. Anytime I go home I already know what I'm getting into. Traffic doesn't scare me. I also lived in NORCAL as well and San Francisco is just outrageous! I've been in ATL traffic a few times visiting and I can deal. Lol thanks for your input =]

Old 12-15-2014, 05:24 PM

5,468 posts, read 4,952,344 times
Atlanta's traffic problems may not necessarily be quite as bad as Los Angeles or San Francisco, but Atlanta's traffic issues also should not be downplayed or discounted.

Last winter, the Atlanta region had a massive (and embarrassing) traffic jam that lasted for the better part of two days all because of a panic over about two-and-a-half inches of snow when all of the schools and workplaces let out at almost the same exact time in the middle of the road and seemingly darn near the entire motoring population of Metro Atlanta and North Georgia hit the limited road network at the same time....It was a nightmare and a national embarrassment.

To the credit of many residents in the Atlanta metro area, the region has made some efforts to deal with the traffic by staggering work start and end times, allowing work from home (when possible) and emphasizing that people attempt to live relatively close to work when and where possible.

Because of the staggered work times, work from home programs and the emphasis on getting people to live closer to work when and where possible, some progress has been made in helping traffic not to be as bad as it could and would be were these critically important efforts not in place.

But traffic is still a very major issue for a large major metro region of 6 million people in Atlanta that only has the transportation infrastructure of a much smaller region of about 2-3 million people at best.

It should also be noted that traffic can at times be an issue outside of rush hours and Atlanta Braves games, particularly on weekends if there are multiple special events all going on at once.

Traffic can also be a major issue on weekends if there is some kind of freeway construction in progress (...the Georgia Department of Transportation likes to conduct many major construction and road maintenance progress on weekends because of past complaints that arose when the agency used to conduct construction and road maintenance projects during weekday rush hours and peak hours in years past).

Traffic can also be a significant issue during major holiday periods (...like before and after Thanksgiving, before Christmas and after New Years and around Spring Break when tourists and vacationers traveling between points north (like the Midwest, the Northeast, etc) and points south clog the roads of Metro Atlanta to get to and from popular vacation and resort destinations in Florida and along the Gulf Coast.

While Atlanta's traffic issues may not necessarily be identical to those in places like Los Angeles and San Francisco, Atlanta's traffic issues should not and cannot exactly be ignored either.

Last edited by Born 2 Roll; 12-15-2014 at 06:07 PM..

Old 12-15-2014, 05:39 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,081,260 times
Atlanta highways don't make sense to me. I have seen cases where I have taken the local route and reached in about the same amount of time as the highway route. That's a problem. I'm pretty sure most places you go highways are suppose to expedite travel time. I have also seen where in order to get from one county to another, instead of there being a highway that goes from west to east, you basically have to do a 'U' to get to the other county.

I'm not sure how Atlanta will address it's traffic woes as it seems as if the answer is always adding more roads to the existing highways, which does not fully address the problem. As with public transport, many counties have voted no to it expanding in their county so I guess people will just have to suck it up (sadly).

About that winter storm, it was really uncalled for the handling of the situation. I would have lost my mind if I were one of those people stuck in traffic. Some people were stuck for 13 hours+ in their car. I can't imagine that.

With that being said, it would be so convenient if your husband did not have to commute from Atlanta back to the suburbs, especially being that some of the nice cities tend to be far from Atlanta.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:54 PM

6 posts, read 4,376 times
Crazy crazy crazy! The whole snow incident was horrible last year. But I mean the way the highways are set up there I could see why it happened. Just hopefully they have a better way to handle it if something like that were to happen by the time I move there. You guys don't have tolls right?

Old 12-17-2014, 12:19 AM

5,468 posts, read 4,952,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpleliving0529 View Post
Crazy crazy crazy! The whole snow incident was horrible last year. But I mean the way the highways are set up there I could see why it happened. Just hopefully they have a better way to handle it if something like that were to happen by the time I move there. You guys don't have tolls right?
The only better way to handle something like that is if state government issues some kind of order shutting everything (and I mean darned near EVERYTHING) down in advance of a winter storm.

But if everything is not shutdown, if state government does not take the winter weather threat as seriously as it should, or if weather conditions take a turn for the worse with little warning, something like that could conceivably happen yet again.

That's because Southerners just don't deal with winter weather all that well because they are not used to dealing with it on a frequent and/or consistent basis.

Many local governments may not necessarily have much winter weather equipment like plows or salt while Metro Atlantans (like most Southerners) tend to panic at the sight of snow and everyone leaves work at once, often trying to get to their children who have been released from school early because of an understandable panic over snowy (and often icy) weather conditions that the government and the public just don't deal with all that often.

When seemingly EVERYBODY leaves work at once and jams a very limited road network that is prone to disruption even during nice weather conditions, it is a recipe for disaster....Which is what happened back in January 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpleliving0529 View Post
You guys don't have tolls right?
Metro Atlanta does not have any tolled roads right now. The tolls were taken off of the only tolled road (Georgia 400) that Metro Atlanta and Georgia had back in 2013.

Though Metro Atlanta does have one tolled lane on each direction of Interstate 85 Northeast of Atlanta outside of I-285 through Gwinnett County.

There are plans to extend those tolled lanes about 10 miles further up I-85. There are also some reversible toll lanes that are in the very early stages of construction on Interstate 75 south of Atlanta through suburban Henry County and on Interstates 75 and 575 northwest of Atlanta through suburban Cobb and Cherokee counties. Those toll lanes are currently slated to open no earlier than 2018.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or