U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-16-2014, 06:16 PM
 
Location: The big blue yonder...
1,993 posts, read 2,923,774 times
Reputation: 1003

Advertisements

I see that sign all the time and every time I say "BLAH..."
Not even sure why it's something to even care about. So less than impressive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-18-2014, 02:35 AM
 
Location: Shadowville
650 posts, read 770,050 times
Reputation: 188
Hard to miss, I'll grant you that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2014, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
213 posts, read 213,080 times
Reputation: 296
I was one of the people critical of the tower. The thing is …….when they announced the plans for this thing, they made it seem like the landmark the Atlanta area so desperately needs. Our Gateway Arch, Golden Gate bridge or Space needle. This thing is hideous in my opinion. I don’t know how much money was spent on the Led display (I would assume a pretty penny) but if they were going to half @ss it then they should have not done it at all. Am I missing something because all I’ve ever seen the LED display say or have on it is Corey? It actually looked better and more organic in its original state to me. I guess 2 weeks ago when we had visitors from out of the country I should have steered them to jaw dropping, all impressive Corey Tower. That way when they went back to Australia they could have told all their friends and family about how they got to experience the connector and Corey Tower. Lol……Some people look in the grass and see dog poo, others see ”butterfingers.” Blah…. C’est La Vie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2014, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
668 posts, read 786,281 times
Reputation: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i don't think anybody *hates* it, per se. it was just completely oversold as some kind of game-changing monument atlanta would be known for. it's just a smokestack with a billboard on it.
Look up Kentile Floors sometime to see how worked up and attached people can get to a billboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2014, 05:13 AM
 
Location: Shadowville
650 posts, read 770,050 times
Reputation: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayoticworld View Post
I was one of the people critical of the tower. The thing is …….when they announced the plans for this thing, they made it seem like the landmark the Atlanta area so desperately needs. Our Gateway Arch, Golden Gate bridge or Space needle. This thing is hideous in my opinion. I don’t know how much money was spent on the Led display (I would assume a pretty penny) but if they were going to half @ss it then they should have not done it at all. Am I missing something because all I’ve ever seen the LED display say or have on it is Corey? It actually looked better and more organic in its original state to me. I guess 2 weeks ago when we had visitors from out of the country I should have steered them to jaw dropping, all impressive Corey Tower. That way when they went back to Australia they could have told all their friends and family about how they got to experience the connector and Corey Tower. Lol……Some people look in the grass and see dog poo, others see ”butterfingers.” Blah…. C’est La Vie
That's it, just a big smokestack named Corey... I'll leave the rest to the Freudians out there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2014, 05:26 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
Reputation: 4894
Too bad the land wasn't redeveloped with residential and mid-rise buildings. Perfect location for student-targeted residential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2014, 05:52 AM
 
Location: Shadowville
650 posts, read 770,050 times
Reputation: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Too bad the land wasn't redeveloped with residential and mid-rise buildings. Perfect location for student-targeted residential.
Yes, if the smokestack actually led to something worthwhile...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2014, 08:31 AM
 
28,104 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Reputation: 9523
The smokestack is beautiful and striking in its simplicity. There's nothing else like that I can think of in that part of town.

It's also kind of cool the way it stands to one side of the bridge over the connector instead of just being plunked down in the middle.

While it may not be the Space needle or le tour Eiffel, it holds its own with the Coit Tower in SF or Water tower in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2014, 08:40 AM
 
Location: NW Atlanta
4,995 posts, read 3,474,509 times
Reputation: 2647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
Look up Kentile Floors sometime to see how worked up and attached people can get to a billboard.
Ah, memories of getting stuck in traffic on the Gowanus Expressway...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2014, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Marietta, Georgia
178 posts, read 522,071 times
Reputation: 87
It grabs my attention when I pass it, but my feelings of it remain neutral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top