U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2014, 08:02 AM
JPD

11,883 posts, read 14,511,579 times

Advertisements

Five years ago, I would have said Candler Park. I lived there for a few years and loved it. But now that Clay Harper owns most of their commercial space, it's quickly becoming Fellini-ville. Record store: OUT! Donna Van Gogh'ls: OUT! Wedding dress store that brings very little value to the neighborhood: EXPANDING into yet another storefront.

Boring.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 08:35 AM

668 posts, read 788,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Five years ago, I would have said Candler Park. I lived there for a few years and loved it. But now that Clay Harper owns most of their commercial space, it's quickly becoming Fellini-ville. Record store: OUT! Donna Van Gogh'ls: OUT! Wedding dress store that brings very little value to the neighborhood: EXPANDING into yet another storefront.

Boring.
The wedding dress store surprisingly draws a lot of people to the neighborhood. I agree that I would have preferred to see something eclectic replace Donna Van Gogh's, though. Full Moon's owner said he thought the dress shop would be taking over his space, too. If that's true, yeah, the retail space will be a dead zone during non-brunch hours. The death of the Gato Arigato pop-up service back in October didn't help, either. That being said, I still love the Candler Park/Lake Claire neighborhoods.

However, I'd say my favorite is still probably Midtown. It was the first neighborhood I moved to back in '97 and it's been fascinating to watch its transformation over the years.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:39 AM

557 posts, read 455,743 times
Inman Park. For all the reasons other, more articulate posters have named. It's simply the best.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:04 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
The wedding dress store surprisingly draws a lot of people to the neighborhood.
That's nice, but the problem is thast it doesn't serve the neighorhood. By its very nature you have to drive there. And how many times is the average customer going to go there in their lifetime? Not many, especially compared to a pub or a restaurant, or a record or gift store.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:08 AM

668 posts, read 788,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
That's nice, but the problem is thast it doesn't serve the neighorhood. By its very nature you have to drive there. And how many times is the average customer going to go there in their lifetime? Not many, especially compared to a pub or a restaurant, or a record or gift store.
It was just an observation, not a refutation of anything you said. Lord knows if my wife had her way we would be renewing our vows every year so she buy the dresses she sees in the windwos. However, I would imagine people will go there about as often as they might go to Moon Brothers, the special events planners, or Piercing Experience across the street.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:28 AM

1,979 posts, read 1,706,579 times
I like Inman Park for the houses, but of course, East Point for the people.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:51 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
It was just an observation, not a refutation of anything you said. Lord knows if my wife had her way we would be renewing our vows every year so she buy the dresses she sees in the windwos. However, I would imagine people will go there about as often as they might go to Moon Brothers, the special events planners, or Piercing Experience across the street.
I understand. I didn't mean to come across as combative. Just expanding on my point. I agree about Moon Brothers and other tennants in the area. I feel that small commercial strips like this one should be as useful to the surrounding area as possible, and most people have little to no need to go to an architecture firm or a bridal gown shop.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:04 AM

28,183 posts, read 24,757,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
I wish Sweet Auburn Market had free parking
You might be able to find a free place along the curb somewhere and take the streetcar. I don't know whether the city has metered everything nearby or not.

You used to be able to park around back and get your ticket validated.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:15 AM

136 posts, read 89,556 times
Sweet Auburn Curb Market has validated parking in the lot right next to it (hard to miss).

I was just at Full Moon records in Candler Park, and it was crowded as hell.

I live in Poncey Highland, but my favorite is a toss up between Inman Park & Midtown.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:17 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
I wish Sweet Auburn Market had free parking
I didn't realize they didn't. I wish they stayed open later. Most of the stalls are closing down at 5 pm, making it impossible (or uncomfortable) to go there right after work. That's a lot of potential customers to turn away. I'd do most o fmy grocery shopping there if they stayed open until 6 or 7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or