U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 09:37 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,995,412 times

Advertisements

For the look of the homes and community, Ansley Park, hands down. For living, restaurants, daily life, buzz of the city type stuff, Buckhead hands down. Today I visited Inman Park and this weekend Grant Park. I honestly saw very, very little difference except one is off of Little Five Points and the other is off the Zoo and Grant Park. I guess the 200k mark-up for Inman is bc of the NE designator and the proximity to Little Five Points that some may like but I personally don't get the raging interest in. But both ok and somewhat similar-looking places (at least to me).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 12:01 AM

1,966 posts, read 1,654,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
For the look of the homes and community, Ansley Park, hands down. For living, restaurants, daily life, buzz of the city type stuff, Buckhead hands down. Today I visited Inman Park and this weekend Grant Park. I honestly saw very, very little difference except one is off of Little Five Points and the other is off the Zoo and Grant Park. I guess the 200k mark-up for Inman is bc of the NE designator and the proximity to Little Five Points that some may like but I personally don't get the raging interest in. But both ok and somewhat similar-looking places (at least to me).
I think the difference in value is that Inman is zoned for schools that are more highly rated, and it is surrounded by better neighborhoods than Grant Park. All other things being equal, L5P could disappear, and home values for Inman Park would probably not drop 1 cent.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:25 AM

Hmm. Not so sure. Almost everyone that mentioned Inman Park being a fave referenced Little Five Points. Lots of neighborhoods feed into Mary Lin (and Springdale Park and Morningside - all considered to be (by the general populace) the most beloved schools in APS outside of the Buckhead schools). However, no one is raving about Morningside or Lake Claire or the area that feeds into Springdale Park as super duper great neighborhoods. People are talking about Inman Park and Candler Park. Mostly, it seems, because of proximity to L5P - differentiator over the other neighborhoods with good schools that are within a mile of IP and CP. IP and CP have a good public relations machine going for sure. I think that's a lot of where the 200K mark-up is coming from. Besides, many people with 800K for a 3/2 1900 square foot house or half a mil for a teardown can just send their kids to private, right? That's a lot of money for smallish house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
I think the difference in value is that Inman is zoned for schools that are more highly rated, and it is surrounded by better neighborhoods than Grant Park. All other things being equal, L5P could disappear, and home values for Inman Park would probably not drop 1 cent.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:38 AM

1,966 posts, read 1,654,758 times
Quote:
Hmm. Not so sure. Almost everyone that mentioned Inman Park being a fave referenced Little Five Points. Lots of neighborhoods feed into Mary Lin (and Springdale Park and Morningside - all considered to be (by the general populace) the most beloved schools in APS outside of the Buckhead schools). However, no one is raving about Morningside or Lake Claire or the area that feeds into Springdale Park as super duper great neighborhoods. People are talking about Inman Park and Candler Park. Mostly, it seems, because of proximity to L5P - differentiator over the other neighborhoods with good schools that are within a mile of IP and CP. IP and CP have a good public relations machine going for sure. I think that's a lot of where the 200K mark-up is coming from. Besides, many people with 800K for a 3/2 1900 square foot house or half a mil for a teardown can just send their kids to private, right? That's a lot of money for smallish house.
Springdale Park elm. serves Virginia Highlands and Poncy Highlands, Morningside elm. serves Morningside and Ansley Park. I think that you may be mistaken in your belief that there is a 200K markup to live in Inman Park over those neighborhoods. I think you are correct in previously stating that Grant Park is less expensive--but, again that is largely due to the schools being lower rated and the surrounding neighborhoods not being as highly regarded, and partially that it is a little further from where the wealthy work and play. And, I think you are also completely mistaken in the belief that folks spending 800K for a home are not using neighborhood schools--the neighborhood support is why the schools do so well. The Little 5 Points business district has its charms, and maybe it creates a lot of buzz among the people you talk to, but it is not the reason why folks are spending, 800K for a Victorian in Inman Park.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:49 PM

I guess my post wasn't clear. I was saying GP plus 200k = Inman Park. Make more sense now? That was my first point. Also, off topic, but I really don't see much diff btwn Neighborhood Charter and Mary Lin. What makes Mary Lin seem good is that the kids come from enriched environmts. Any kid whose parents have half a mil for a teardown are going to pass the meager state of GA test - at least I would hope so. Ppl, I think, make the mistake of judging a school that has a great, well-off student body that then does what you think a group of well-off kids ought to be able to easily do (pass a state test that is tweaked to GA state standards) as being a good school. If ppl don't see the lack of logic and irony in this, I cannot explain it.

Second point. I was also saying IP is much more popular than some of the other areas you named (those feeding into Morningside and SPark and even others feeding into Mart Lin, as IP does). My point is what is doing it for ppl, it seems, is L5P relative to other areas that also feed into good schools. I guess another example would be how much more popular VH is than say, Druid Hills (COA Druid Hills) or Lake Clair. All feed into "good" schools ( as the populace would define a "good" school, that is) but VH's proximity to the businesses/shops and IP's proximity to L5P seems to be what is doing it for ppl. At least it seems that way.

Third (new) point. I need to know where you are finding Victorians in IP for 800k. Not the 3/2s with Victorian architecture - I am assuming you are talking about the "Victorians" - with a capital "V." These are much more thank 800k.... If you know otherwise, DM me. Lol.

[B][/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Springdale Park elm. serves Virginia Highlands and Poncy Highlands, Morningside elm. serves Morningside and Ansley Park. I think that you may be mistaken in your belief that there is a 200K markup to live in Inman Park over those neighborhoods. I think you are correct in previously stating that Grant Park is less expensive--but, again that is largely due to the schools being lower rated and the surrounding neighborhoods not being as highly regarded, and partially that it is a little further from where the wealthy work and play. And, I think you are also completely mistaken in the belief that folks spending 800K for a home are not using neighborhood schools--the neighborhood support is why the schools do so well. The Little 5 Points business district has its charms, and maybe it creates a lot of buzz among the people you talk to, but it is not the reason why folks are spending, 800K for a Victorian in Inman Park.

Last edited by LovelySummer; 12-18-2014 at 02:08 PM..

Old 12-18-2014, 09:34 PM

14,805 posts, read 17,061,539 times
Princeton Lakes.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pr...36f5e60d60862b

Old 12-18-2014, 11:44 PM

4,669 posts, read 3,048,433 times
There's something about Morningside that has always appealed to me. Of course, Ansley Park is also wonderful.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:48 AM

9,590 posts, read 8,687,532 times
I do know that the folks in Ansley Park support the public school system. Yes, quite a few use the privates but many use public.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:17 AM

668 posts, read 789,515 times
Quote:
I guess my post wasn't clear. I was saying GP plus 200k = Inman Park. Make more sense now? That was my first point. Also, off topic, but I really don't see much diff btwn Neighborhood Charter and Mary Lin. What makes Mary Lin seem good is that the kids come from enriched environmts. Any kid whose parents have half a mil for a teardown are going to pass the meager state of GA test - at least I would hope so. Ppl, I think, make the mistake of judging a school that has a great, well-off student body that then does what you think a group of well-off kids ought to be able to easily do (pass a state test that is tweaked to GA state standards) as being a good school. If ppl don't see the lack of logic and irony in this, I cannot explain it.

Second point. I was also saying IP is much more popular than some of the other areas you named (those feeding into Morningside and SPark and even others feeding into Mart Lin, as IP does). My point is what is doing it for ppl, it seems, is L5P relative to other areas that also feed into good schools. I guess another example would be how much more popular VH is than say, Druid Hills (COA Druid Hills) or Lake Clair. All feed into "good" schools ( as the populace would define a "good" school, that is) but VH's proximity to the businesses/shops and IP's proximity to L5P seems to be what is doing it for ppl. At least it seems that way.

Third (new) point. I need to know where you are finding Victorians in IP for 800k. Not the 3/2s with Victorian architecture - I am assuming you are talking about the "Victorians" - with a capital "V." These are much more thank 800k.... If you know otherwise, DM me. Lol.
I would propose that there are two things driving popularity of certain neighborhoods - one being amount of development and the other being population size.

Inman Park has a lot of buzz because they have a lot of development going in on its western side along the Beltline. The other intown neighborhoods you mentioned are lacking in available space for the types of large scale projects you see going in over in Inman Park. I know a lot of folks who live in the neighborhood, and while yes, some of them do like the proximity to stores and restaurants in L5P, they are all ecstatic about the new developments along the Beltline, Krog Street, Highland Ave, etc.

In terms of population, the 2010 census had the population for the above mentioned neighborhoods:
Virginia Higland - 7,800
Grant Park - 6,771
Inman Park - 4,098
Candler Park - 3,291
Lake Claire - 2,557
Druid Hills (COA) - 1,414

So part of the popularity of VaHi, GP or IP is driven just because chances are you're more likely to run into someone who lives there than in LC or Druid Hills.

Finally, you're correct that the commercial areas are a draw, particularly ones that draw people from outside the neighborhood like Virginia Highland and L5P. Lake Claire and Druid Hills, on the other hand, have no commercial districts within them. People may be less likely to talk about them, but the demand to live there is still incredibly high.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:30 AM

Interesting. What is the developmt? I'd love ti know about it. Highland? Beltline? What's going up un these areas? [QQUOTE=Nast;37696896]I would propose that there are two things driving popularity of certain neighborhoods - one being amount of development and the other being population size.

Inman Park has a lot of buzz because they have a lot of development going in on its western side along the Beltline. The other intown neighborhoods you mentioned are lacking in available space for the types of large scale projects you see going in over in Inman Park. I know a lot of folks who live in the neighborhood, and while yes, some of them do like the proximity to stores and restaurants in L5P, they are all ecstatic about the new developments along the Beltline, Krog Street, Highland Ave, etc.

In terms of population, the 2010 census had the population for the above mentioned neighborhoods:
Virginia Higland - 7,800
Grant Park - 6,771
Inman Park - 4,098
Candler Park - 3,291
Lake Claire - 2,557
Druid Hills (COA) - 1,414

So part of the popularity of VaHi, GP or IP is driven just because chances are you're more likely to run into someone who lives there than in LC or Druid Hills.

Finally, you're correct that the commercial areas are a draw, particularly ones that draw people from outside the neighborhood like Virginia Highland and L5P. Lake Claire and Druid Hills, on the other hand, have no commercial districts within them. People may be less likely to talk about them, but the demand to live there is still incredibly high.[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or