U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2014, 09:33 PM

4 posts, read 5,244 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm possibly considering a relocation to Atlanta, and the houses look good on Zillow.

Would anybody be able to tell me how far 200k might be able to go in the surrounding areas of Atlanta?

Things I'm looking for:
Newer construction (does not have to be brand new)
2-3 Bedrooms
2 bath
1100 sq foot+

We like townhomes, but a house would be good too. Key things of course is a safe neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 09:50 PM

1,062 posts, read 690,203 times
You should very easily be able to find something that meets your stated criteria at that price. I just sold my townhouse in Smyrna, very close to both Vinings and Buckhead, for $180k, and while not new construction (built in 1985), it was well updated and modernized; I spent $20k on a new kitchen about 8 years ago. It was in a quiet community that virtually never saw anything in the way of crime or disturbances. I think I sold it a bit too cheaply, but I had already signed a contract on a new construction home and so I wanted it to move quickly, as I found the thought of two mortgages quite unpleasant, and it did (offers in less than 36 hours).

Where would you be working? I'm sure others will agree that that needs to play a major role in your search, and I am sure that I and others would be willing to suggest some good areas that might be both reasonably priced and convenient for you as well.

Best of luck!

Old 12-16-2014, 01:15 AM

5,376 posts, read 4,893,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmlikeyy View Post
Hi All,

I'm possibly considering a relocation to Atlanta, and the houses look good on Zillow.

Would anybody be able to tell me how far 200k might be able to go in the surrounding areas of Atlanta?

Things I'm looking for:
Newer construction (does not have to be brand new)
2-3 Bedrooms
2 bath
1100 sq foot+

We like townhomes, but a house would be good too. Key things of course is a safe neighborhood.
evannole makes an excellent point that where one's job is located should play a major role in your search for a place to live.

That's because of Metro Atlanta's often severe rush hour traffic congestion and a transportation infrastructure that is inadequate for a very large major metro region of its size (including a lack of adequate surface alternatives to the severely congested freeway system and a lack of adequate transit infrastructure for large major metro of Atlanta's size).

Generally one might have to go as far as at least 20-30 miles out from the city to find newer construction (built roughly within the past 5-10 years) of any kind for $200k or less in a quality area, depending on which radial highway corridor one might be looking in.

(...One may potentially have to go farther out to the north away from Atlanta (out the I-75/I-575 Northwest, GA 400 North and I-85/I-985/GA 316 Northeast corridors) to find newer construction for that price than they likely would have to go to east (I-20 East), south (I-75 South, US 19-41 South and I-85 Southwest corridors) and west (I-20 West and GA 6 West corridors) to find newer construction at that price.)

Though with the continued pick-up in both the economy and the real estate market of the Atlanta metro area (with out-of-state and foreign cash investors swarming down and buying up seemingly every affordable newer single-family home in quality areas over the last 3 years or so), finding newer construction for $200k and/or less might potentially be a challenge even in some seemingly far-flung areas.

If you do happen to have any difficulty finding anything at your price range of $200k and less, newer rent-to-own and lease-to-own properties might potentially be an option to consider....That's because many affordable newer homes are currently owned by investors who are renting them out until they can sell them for a profit in the future.

In any case, good luck with your search and Welcome to Atlanta!

Old 12-16-2014, 05:34 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,534,103 times
Far if you don't mind living OTP

Old 12-16-2014, 05:52 AM

2,074 posts, read 2,000,539 times
One thing that you might find frustrating is that it's rare to see "newer construction" freestanding homes built with 2 bedrooms. It's just not a profitable or desirable configuration in a single family home these days. That might be all the space you need, but you might be pushed towards buying more square footage. Townhouses are a little different and it might be easier to find 2/2's.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:47 AM

1,979 posts, read 1,700,881 times
Are you wanting to put 200K down as a lump sum on a house? Why not use some of that as the downpayment on a reasonable mortgage - it would significantly increase the quality of housing you can buy, and the mortgage payments come with their own tax benefit.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:14 AM

7 posts, read 6,469 times
It really depends on where you are looking. My husband and I just put our house on the market in the East Lake area (East Lake South), which is inside the perimeter (Decatur address) for $200,000. Our house is a 1940 2 bedroom/3 bath renovated brick bungalow. Not new construction but I'd take our solid 4-sided brick house with brick foundation any day over most of the cheaply built newer homes. We have a 2.5 car garage (easily fits 2 cars, a motorcycle and yard equipment), finished basement that could be used as a 3rd bedroom and includes the 3rd bathroom and a large laundry room, and a 1/2 acre yard with a 6 foot privacy fence. Our neighborhood is safe but still considered transitional; however, we are within minutes of downtown and Decatur Square and our property taxes are low because we are in unincorporated Dekalb County. If you were to look for the same house just a couple miles up the road in Oakhurst you'd probably be paying well over $400,000. On the flip side, you could find a bigger new house easier for $200,000 in the suburbs but could possibly have a nightmare commute.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:23 AM

994 posts, read 1,109,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchick View Post
It really depends on where you are looking. On the flip side, you could find a bigger new house easier for $200,000 in the suburbs but could possibly have a nightmare commute.
It depends on which suburbs you're talking about, really. $200K won't get you in most of the suburbs with good school districts (need to start out around $250K+ as a baseline). Now, if school zones are not an issue or concern, you could get a nice home in SW Atlanta, for example, at that price point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or