U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 06:07 PM

2,224 posts, read 1,068,148 times

Advertisements

I am surprised not to see anything written on how M.A.R.T.A. was so restricted towards how they were able to spend the money they made in the past. Due to these restrictions, MARTA had to lay off so many people and there were cuts to many bus routes, etc. I remember there were people making decisions regarding MARTA and they weren't even representatives of either Fulton or Dekalb County (not sure if this is still true). The state of Georgia provides no aid to MARTA's operational funding, yet they have members on the Marta board.

I am saying this because I think it is important not just to look at who is leading MARTA but also its past and the reasons behind MARTA's inefficiencies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 06:44 PM

22,209 posts, read 16,245,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Keith Parker is familiar with this model. Transit agencies in Texas get minimal state support and are dependent on sales tax. And San Antonio is far more anti-transit, anti-tax than Atlanta. I really get tired of hearing Atlanta blame the state. Houston and Dallas have done vast amounts of transit expansion over the last couple of decades with that minimal state support.
You cannot compare LRT to HRT.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:29 AM

1,979 posts, read 1,706,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I am surprised not to see anything written on how M.A.R.T.A. was so restricted towards how they were able to spend the money they made in the past. Due to these restrictions, MARTA had to lay off so many people and there were cuts to many bus routes, etc. I remember there were people making decisions regarding MARTA and they weren't even representatives of either Fulton or Dekalb County (not sure if this is still true). The state of Georgia provides no aid to MARTA's operational funding, yet they have members on the Marta board.

I am saying this because I think it is important not just to look at who is leading MARTA but also its past and the reasons behind MARTA's inefficiencies.

Umm that's in the article as well.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:37 PM
bu2

9,025 posts, read 5,714,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Since Texas supposedly does it's transit system growth & funding better & was thrown into the discussion here by another member, let's be honest about how for example Dallas's DART has been funded & expanded.
Voters approved a $2.9 billion bond referendum in 2000 & the federal government pitched in w/ a $700 million grant in 2006. That's a total of $3.6 billion right there. By comparison, MARTA has not received any comparable block of extra funding during that time frame.
Also, there have been hiccups of a major scale in the DART system with several cities eventually being dissatisfied to the extent that they held votes on whether to leave or stay in the system.
One particualr hiccup involved a scandal that included massive mismanagement & fraud that was uncovered when the funding for a particular new line was found to be in the state of a shortfall to the tune of $1 billion.
Eventually the deep depths of the scandal led to a murder-suicide episode that deeply shook DART & public confidence in the system. MARTA has never suffered any episode as scandalous in it's history.
MARTA initially got built pretty much totally by the federal government. MARTA hasn't put up the local money to match federal grants.

I'm not saying the state shouldn't support mass transit. I'm just saying others have done with limited state support so its not a legitimate excuse for not doing anything.

Houston, due to former House Majority Leader Tom Delay, had to build their initial 7 mile rail system with ZERO federal dollars, unlike the 50-70% most other systems have gotten.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:40 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
You cannot compare LRT to HRT.
When its grade separated like almost all of it in Dallas, its pretty expensive. They've completed 90 miles since 1996.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:43 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
judging from the article - I don't think they have pitched yet (but maybe some time soon, or we will hear announcements about it). Parker felt it was important to get MARTA's house in order first, to even the negotiatiations a little. I think MARTA is on a stronger footing now, then they were a year ago, for sure.
Reed is talking about politicians taking leadership. It will be interesting to see if he is just going to talk about the Beltline or will talk also about the other MARTA projects (north, east, west, Clifton).

Old 12-17-2014, 09:49 PM

4,912 posts, read 3,724,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post

But those restrictions allowed new rail cars to be purchased, and the rest of the fleet to be overhauled as well as keeping the system from falling apart. I want them to stay, but the state needs to make up the difference.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:59 AM

22,209 posts, read 16,245,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
But those restrictions allowed new rail cars to be purchased, and the rest of the fleet to be overhauled as well as keeping the system from falling apart. I want them to stay, but the state needs to make up the difference.
True, MARTA does not suffer from infrastructure issues like WMATA.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:37 AM

2,407 posts, read 2,616,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
True, MARTA does not suffer from infrastructure issues like WMATA.
Aside from the $1 billion maintenance backlog...

Old 12-18-2014, 09:48 AM

5,010 posts, read 3,499,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Aside from the $1 billion maintenance backlog...
Name one transit agency or state DOT that doesn't have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or