U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 08:24 PM

122 posts, read 128,625 times

Advertisements

I had a bad experience with promove... They only show you the apartments they get commission from. They might do some legwork for you, but it's not worth it.

As many have mentioned, you're looking in some of the most expensive areas of the city. Relax the location a bit and your rent will go farther. Also, have you considered buying? In today's rental market you can get a lot more owning rather than renting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 08:02 PM

7,844 posts, read 14,518,149 times
If you thought the real video was funny...

rent is too dam high - snl spoof funny - Video

Old 12-19-2014, 03:58 AM

789 posts, read 640,641 times
I wish I had a $1600 budget, try working with half of that

Old 12-19-2014, 07:31 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,977,616 times
Why not just take a ground level in a walk-up like Bryson Square? I've lived there twice. Beautiful, safe, less than 1600 for a 2/2. And btwx I've had great experiences with the ProMove on Peachtree and Pharr. Don't believe the hype.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkskinman740 View Post
Ok so my lease is up.....and have to move in January. I'm thinking nobody moves around this time, so rents will be cheap like usual right?......WRONG.

So here is the dilemma. I'm looking for a 2 bdr - 2 bth in a complex with an elevator in Buckhead, Perimeter, Sandy Springs, Lindbergh, Brookhaven. I can't find anything less than $1600 a month, even with the help of Promove. I'm very disappointed. The only reason my wife and I wanted an elevator is because I have a 3 month old and right now I go up to the 3rd floor with stairs and with horrible parking(sometimes parking 3 buildings away from mine). Kinda tired of it.

My job is in the Perimeter area so right now my commute isn't that bad from Brookhaven. I'm thinking about Smyrna as an option but I like having Marta access since my job is by a train station an is only a shuttle or 20 minute walk away. I'm I the only that thinks these rents are outrageous?

I also considered buying but prices in the same areas are outrageous and my current complex wants almost double my rent to go month to month.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:27 PM

445 posts, read 512,264 times
I recently bought a home in the city due to the fact that I couldn't rent what I wanted without paying far above what my current mortgage is.

I also hate the bait and switch tactics used by most management companies. Even if you find a good deal, the rents almost always skyrocket at the next lease renewal. I didn't want to do that dance because I know how much I despise paying more money for the same thing, and I REALLY despise moving.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:49 PM

178 posts, read 522,280 times
Elevators aren't cheap to maintain. I think what you are asking is the problem. There are many areas around there with lower rent, but they lack elevators. Elevators are a luxury, so maybe the question should be "why is rent so high for places with luxuries like an elevator?" That question should answer itself. Of course: location, location, location.

@Mossberg I also wouldn't call it bait and switch. Refer to the post of blktoptrvl. They hit the nail on the head the way rent is adjusted now-a-days based on many different factors and assessments. The price you are normally getting is what they are told they can offer you for the current going rate.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:56 PM

445 posts, read 512,264 times
I call it bait and switch because they often offer "new" residents a cheaper rate than "renewal" residents at the exact same time. They bank on the fact that people hate moving and will simply pay the higher rent.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:33 PM

178 posts, read 522,280 times
Ah, yea. I thought that's what mine was doing too each year getting a 5-7% rent increase around renewal and then I tested calling in to see if I could get a cheaper rent without them having history on me and it turned out my renewal rate was cheaper, than if I was a new resident. When I confronted them about it they said it just had to do with the price quote they got based on the sources their property assessment software returned for that week. That's why I understood blktoptrvl's post. I guess being a private business they can kind of make those rules up themselves though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or