Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 10:37 AM

9 posts, read 17,527 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are both retired and we are planning to leave Texas next year. We have considered several cities and we have pretty much decided to move to the Atlanta area. We now need to determine our preferred location(s) within the area. So we are planning a one week cursory-trip to visit the area.
We are looking to purchase a 3-bedroom home for $200,000 or less. We prefer a mixture of suburban and urban lifestyles with shopping conveniences and a low crime rate. Access to public transit would be a bonus but not necessary. We are Black, so our preferred neighborhood should not be greater than 80-85% white.

Tenative plans so far include a visit to the following suburban towns: Douglasville, Smyna, Roswell, Larenceville, Stockbridge, Fayetteville, and Newnan. Any suggestions you may have is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 10:41 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Where work is, is going to one the most important item to determine where to live.

You have Identified both north & south side suburbs.
Picking the wrong place can make your trips to work unbearable.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:26 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvDraper View Post
My wife and I are both retired and we are planning to leave Texas next year. We have considered several cities and we have pretty much decided to move to the Atlanta area. We now need to determine our preferred location(s) within the area. So we are planning a one week cursory-trip to visit the area.
We are looking to purchase a 3-bedroom home for $200,000 or less. We prefer a mixture of suburban and urban lifestyles with shopping conveniences and a low crime rate. Access to public transit would be a bonus but not necessary. We are Black, so our preferred neighborhood should not be greater than 80-85% white.

Tenative plans so far include a visit to the following suburban towns: Douglasville, Smyna, Roswell, Larenceville, Stockbridge, Fayetteville, and Newnan. Any suggestions you may have is appreciated.
Those are all good choices, but a few other cities that might potentially be worth your consideration are:

...Acworth (with its rising historic downtown and location on Lake Acworth near Red Top Mountain Park) in North Cobb County;

...Buford (a town that is located immediately near the south-end one of the most-popular manmade lakes in the U.S. at Lake Lanier, a town that is home to one of the largest regional shopping centers in the Southeastern U.S. in the mega-sized Mall of Georgia, and a town that is home to an increasingly-popular and adorable established downtown village that is the site of a rising artists colony) in North Gwinnett County;

...Gainesville (a highly-influential city in Georgia politics at the north-end of Lake Lanier that is a center of commerce and activity for the Northeast Georgia Mountains region).

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Where work is, is going to one the most important item to determine where to live.

You have Identified both north & south side suburbs.
Picking the wrong place can make your trips to work unbearable.
With the OP and his wife being retired, being located relatively close to a likely place of employment may not necessarily be an issue for them.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:44 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Ooops.. Missed that... All the above you mention are good places.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:22 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,285 times
Smyrna definitely meets your requirements - what do you like to do for fun or on a regular basis?

Old 10-27-2013, 05:47 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,895 times
^ What the last poster said - more info needed. Do you prefer the lake, mountains, biking, or spending time in the city, do you need easy access to the airport, what will you be doing with your free time

Old 10-27-2013, 07:09 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
And do you have friends or family in Atlanta? Why exactly is ATL on your list?

Old 10-27-2013, 11:26 PM

9 posts, read 17,527 times
Atlanta is a good choice for us for several reasons. First of all, I grew up in Alabama and I currently have rental property that is less than 100 miles from Atlanta. Although we have no relatives living in Atlanta, we do have a few friends who live in the area. Most of our relatives live in other parts of the country and being located in Atlanta will make for easier travel. Neither of us have any desire to live in Alabama. My wife and I spent most of our professional careers in the Northeast and our interests are many and varied. We probably enjoy the mountains more than water but each has its place. I am an avid bowler. A few years ago I received the San Antonio Senior Bowler of the Month Award for having the highest average for my age group during the month of November. I currently bowl in three leagues. We also like to go bike riding and gardening.

Thank each of you for the information you provided. We are planning our trip for the second week in November and I will add the towns you mentioned to my list.

Last edited by EvDraper; 10-27-2013 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 10-28-2013, 02:41 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Since you are checking out Fayetteville and Newnan you should pass through Peachtree City. Lots of info about PTC on this forum, but I highly suggest checking it out for yourself. Good access to Alabama and the Airport. Great if you love riding bikes with their 70+ miles of exclusive bike/golf cart paths.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:47 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Since you are checking out Fayetteville and Newnan you should pass through Peachtree City. Lots of info about PTC on this forum, but I highly suggest checking it out for yourself. Good access to Alabama and the Airport. Great if you love riding bikes with their 70+ miles of exclusive bike/golf cart paths.
To the OP, if public schools are not a huge concern any time soon, I personally would go with Fayetteville, Fayette County or Stockbridge (Henry) on the Southside. If you prefer the Northside, Lawrenceville/Lilburn in Gwinnett. The Westside of Atlanta is OK, but not sure what you prefer the most in the various suburbs.

The huge key is being close to work unless you have remote working options. I would rent first and then buy, if you are not familiar with the ATL area. Good luck in your decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta