U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 09:30 PM

225 posts, read 186,738 times

Advertisements

I have seen almost no news on the demolition/redevelopment of the Moores Mill Shopping Center on Marietta Blvd since the bonds were approved early this summer.

Last week, I spotted a crew performing groundwater monitoring in the city park adjacent to the site.

Also last week, I found this video on the interweb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtuldjF3PMk

These two things could mean a number of things, in my opinion. I am just wondering if anyone has heard anything regarding this project.

The shopping center is finally vacant, public funding has been approved, and there's been no movement or news for at least six months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 10:10 PM

4,244 posts, read 2,821,095 times
Welcome to my life. I live very close to this eyesore, and have been waiting since the day we bought our house 9 years ago for this place to get torn down and replaced (it was already planned then!). You can thank one bored lawyer in Buckhead for stopping it.

But yeah, it is funded now. But they are in the endless loop of waiting for some other entity to have to approve something. Every time one thing moves forward, something else moves back, and the cycle repeats. As far as I'm concerned, it's never going to happen. We've been hearing "just a couple of months" for over five years now.

Councilwoman Felicia Moore is very involved with it. So I'd suggest contacting her if you want some more info. She's been very vocal with out neighborhood.

As for the video, I can't even figure out what the point is. It flies around the area. Then flies around several other shopping centers. But it never does anything with the land.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:48 AM

The things I find interesting about the video are: 1.) it was put up on Youtube about a month ago, and; 2.) it was produced by a company that was likely paid to make it. What I am wondering is why someone had the video made. Is the current owner (Edens) looking to sell the property, or are they starting the process of landing tenants.

The groundwater monitoring could be a whole other issue. If there is groundwater contamination at the site, that could be a monster hurdle to getting this thing off the ground. On the other hand, it could be due diligence monitoring for a possible sale of the land. If Edens is going to sell the property, then the development schedule could be taking a huge step back.

I am just surprised there is still so much ambiguity about the project. At this point, I'd be happy if they just tore it down. I don't care what goes up in its place, or when.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:25 AM

19,394 posts, read 17,110,488 times
At 3:10 in the video, you will notice a Kroger with rooftop parking. Several Publix and Kroger stores to have above and below store parking and escalators specific for carts and people. It would make logical sense to have vertical parking to allow room for a full size supermarket and reduce expansive surface level parking.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
At 3:10 in the video, you will notice a Kroger with rooftop parking. Several Publix and Kroger stores to have above and below store parking and escalators specific for carts and people. It would make logical sense to have vertical parking to allow room for a full size supermarket and reduce expansive surface level parking.
That is the Kroger approximately three miles down the road (South Atlanta Road). I often shop there, and I don't think anyone uses the roof top parking. It just never seems to be that crowded. Of course, as the area continues to grow, I'm sure that will change.

All of the shopping centers featured in the video are within a five mile radius of this proposed shopping center.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:43 PM

258 posts, read 326,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by space cadet View Post
That is the Kroger approximately three miles down the road (South Atlanta Road). I often shop there, and I don't think anyone uses the roof top parking. It just never seems to be that crowded. Of course, as the area continues to grow, I'm sure that will change.

All of the shopping centers featured in the video are within a five mile radius of this proposed shopping center.
The rooftop parking is definitely used. Try going there on a Sat afternoon and that is the only option unless you want to circle. It is actually quite convenient with the elevators.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanista View Post
The rooftop parking is definitely used. Try going there on a Sat afternoon and that is the only option unless you want to circle. It is actually quite convenient with the elevators.
Good point. The video actually shows a number of cars up there. I guess I should restate and say I never use it, because I always seem to find ground level parking. Of course, I almost never go there on a Saturday afternoon.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:59 AM

1,685 posts, read 1,669,750 times
This shopping center will do so well if it ever happens. Not only would it serve the growing neighborhoods all around it, but would draw customers who commute through there, as well as all the parents and nannies who drop their children off for activities in the Adams Drive area--and have an hour to wait around. I would shop the heck out of a decent grocery store once a week if one were there.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:06 PM

4,244 posts, read 2,821,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
This shopping center will do so well if it ever happens. Not only would it serve the growing neighborhoods all around it, but would draw customers who commute through there, as well as all the parents and nannies who drop their children off for activities in the Adams Drive area--and have an hour to wait around. I would shop the heck out of a decent grocery store once a week if one were there.
This is very true. My neighborhood alone has around 1000 residents, and is just around the corner. The Adams Drive area also has a large number of residents. There are two large apartment complexes right there as well. Not to mention the high dollar homes just across the tracks in the Moore's Mill area. In addition to the Adams Drive kids activities, the Atlanta Ballet center is just 1.5 miles down the road, and they ave a huge amount of waiting traffic. This i=place scold capture some of that as well. The only stuff available currently in the midst of all that is a RaceTrac, a Wendy's, a CVS, a pizza place, a Subway, two liquor stores, and couple of random businesses.

All the residents in this area have been clamoring for this shopping center for a long, long time. The market is there. I just don't see why it has to take so damn long to get it going.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:12 PM

Found this today:

Georgia Project Lead - Moores Mill Center Shopping Center - 2014-12-16

Project Overview

Last Updated:2014-12-16

Stage: Design Development
Estimated Value:$31,000,000 (Confirmed Value)

Project Location

State:Georgia
County:Fulton County
City:Atlanta
Address:Moores Mill Rd & Coronet Way

Project Type

Building Category:Restaurants, Supermarkets, Individual Stores
Work Type:New
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta