Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 05:31 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,872,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl1221 View Post
Would like to see a major thoroughfare get them like Ponce or Monroe, although parts of Highland just got them N & S of Ponce.
i believe they're only replacing the residential streets at this point because they use lower wattage lights (either 150 or 250 watt sodium); the main thoroughfares use 400 watt sodium lights.

personally i think you could use the residential LEDs on the main roadways and use something even dimmer for the residential areas. this obsession with having everything lit up like a movie set is a new phenomenon. just because we have the energy to do it, doesn't mean we should. there's a certain level of brightness that aids in security and past that point it's just light pollution.

back in the 1950s, major roadway streetlights were only this bright:

if you go into older towns across the rural south you'll notice they still use lights only this bright. maybe that's a little on the dim side, but if you google LED street lights, this is the type of picture you see:

i shouldn't have to point out how much of an overkill and waste of electricity it is to light a road that doesn't even have sidewalks like this.

i'm just worried that when they get around to doing the roadways they'll put in crazy bright lights like that and we'll have to say goodbye to moonlit and starry nights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 06:38 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,629,048 times
As of today, Glenwood Avenue in Ormewood Park has these. Looked out my window and the street was much brighter than usual. Huge improvement.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:15 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,450 times
Outside the City of Atlanta, I noticed that LED street lights have been deployed along at least two thoroughfares in south DeKalb: Flat Shoals Pkwy. and Boring Rd..

- skbl17

Old 11-13-2015, 06:06 PM

5 posts, read 5,447 times
They have also installed it in residential neighborhoods, south of 20. Never had a problem with the orange streetlights, but when they installed these, I do notice that they allow you to see anyone walking along the street better, without shining into my house. I do miss the warm glow of the orange lights, they made my neighborhood feel a little less cold.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:08 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,034 times
LEDs are the next wave - they are superior in every way to incandescent technology - even compact florescents.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:47 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,820,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
I'm sure I've already posted in this thread, but I've seen these lights spreading quickly in my area. The difference in lighting is huge, and I'm glad to see that garrish orange sodium glare off the street. I hope they put these everywhere.
I'm still not sure I have seen any, but I don't drive that often at night. I will cosign that I don't care for the ones that cast the orange-ish tinted beams. Many metro streets are curvy, and sometimes I think may be approaching a yellow or red light around the xorner when it's really just a street light.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:07 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
LEDs are the next wave - they are superior in every way to incandescent technology - even compact florescents.
Not in every way superior to incandescent, but definitely compact fluorescent.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:37 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,460 times
The new LED streetlights showed up in Reynoldstown this week, and I love them. My street is so much brighter now, I actually feel comfortable walking my dogs after dark, when I didn't before. The color temperature is closer to the color of moonlight than the old orange lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
I'd just be happy with them finally fixing/installing lights of any kind on the interstates (which is the city's responsibility).
I definitely hope they keep replacing lights on streets with sidewalks before they worry about freeways.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:56 PM

561 posts, read 780,874 times
Georgia Power handles all of the LED streetlight conversions on the wooden poles. The COA controls the lights on the metal poles.

You can actually put a request in on Georgia Power's website to have your neighborhood converted to LED.

I did it for my neighborhood a couple weeks ago and the lights were upgraded quickly. A Georgia Power representative even called me the next day after they were installed to ask me how I liked the new lights!

Here is the link.

Outdoor Lighting - Contact Us | For My Business | Georgia Power

Old 12-06-2015, 03:58 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,228,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
Has anyone seen the LEDs coming up around Atlanta? They seem to be replacing lights only in poorer neighbourhoods, like West End and Summerhill. I am interested to see what they will look like in a more urban context, like Downtown.
They seem to be better than the ones they installed last year around the AUC that were super bright and obnoxious. I do wish they'd go with a bit cooler "night time" colour, though.
What do you guys think of them so far?
We sell them in the way of parking lot lighting. They are way, eay overdue. They have finally replaced the traffic lights with LED's and its only growing.

Why?

1) they burn a fraction of the power of older lights. Ratio is about 4/5:1 in new versus old. That cuts the city and county's cost on power. Not that you will see any benefit in your wallet but, it cuts power consumption considerably.
2). Longevity. Most LED's are designed for 100,000 hours or more. Typically 11.5 years at a 8 hour a dau burn rate.
3) maintenance costs. Less trips to the light (read:longevity) mean less Costco taxpayer, however, don't expect a break. The county and city's are perfectly capable of wasting more elsewhere, ahem)
4) liminence. Doesn't dwindle with time. Incandescents, do. Safer, more consistent lighting.

It will be law in 5 years but for now, ou have to be mentally I'll NOT to use them. Period. Even considering acquisition costs. They are to lighting what synthetic oil is to conventional oil. No brainer. Use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta