U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 07:35 PM

125 posts, read 177,970 times

Advertisements

I did not just follow the ratings blindly, got feedback from 1 parent. Perhaps should have taken more feedbacks. After spending tons of money in buying a house, I did not get what I wanted. Perhaps its in our fate not to have the best teachers . But I certainly did not sign up for this. God please help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 08:01 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,980,282 times
??? What made you think it was a good school? Was it that CRCT thing? Sorry you are experiencing this. Just make a fuss and push for whatever you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanhi View Post
I did not just follow the ratings blindly, got feedback from 1 parent. Perhaps should have taken more feedbacks. After spending tons of money in buying a house, I did not get what I wanted. Perhaps its in our fate not to have the best teachers . But I certainly did not sign up for this. God please help!!!

Old 12-18-2014, 08:12 PM

No LovelySummer. That parent's feedback, a year's research, reviews, ratings together made me feel its the right choice. What should i do about this test score?
Thanks

Old 12-19-2014, 05:34 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,803,698 times
Quote:
No LovelySummer. That parent's feedback, a year's research, reviews, ratings together made me feel its the right choice. What should i do about this test score?
Thanks
Have you met with the teacher? That is the first step. And in school, there isn't always a bell curve of grades. Students have to do the work. Freshman year is often a big adjustment, even (especially?) for the smart kids, because they haven't had to work very hard up until this point. They generally haven't had to really study, so some freshman classes can be a shock. Around here, biology generally is the wake up call in 9th grade.

Meet with the teacher.

If you aren't satisfied, meet (or talk) with the assistant principal of instruction.

If you still aren't satisfied, meet (or talk) with principal.

Finally, you can go to area superintendent.

It is critical, that you follow these steps though -- skip any one and you are likely to have to go back and do it all over again.

Teachers are held accountable for grades, both finals and on tests. Is she/he planning on curving?

What is your child's final grade on course?

Old 12-19-2014, 05:45 AM

Next year she will be freshman. Right now the final grade on the course is 90.25%.I am concerned because ,with these kind of scores , her eligibility to get AP govt next year will get affected. My daughter wants to talk to the teacher first. Yesterday the teacher shooed the kids to her student teacher and she gave the printout of the score. I am definitely going to request for a conference with the teacher. Thanks a lot lastminutemom.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:58 AM

My daughter will ask about the bell curve but I don't think the teacher is planning to do that. Otherwise she would have written an email to us. But with such a lousy teaching I don't expect anything from her now...

Old 12-19-2014, 06:16 AM

1,685 posts, read 1,671,598 times
Are you getting all of this information through the filter of your child? There are probably two sides to the story. I would go in to talk to the teacher with an open mind. A 90% may be lower than your child is used to getting, but it's still a high grade. It might not be a bad thing to speak to the teacher and then take a step back. The situation may not be as unfair as your child is making it seem. And even if it is a tad unfair, children need to learn everything doesn't always go their way.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:20 AM

The avg score column in home access is the class avg, if I am understanding it correctly. That is 60.13 so that means everyone has failed in the class AtlJan

Old 12-19-2014, 06:23 AM

1,685 posts, read 1,671,598 times
Quote:
The avg score column in home access is the class avg, if I am understanding it correctly. That is 60.13 so that means everyone has failed in the class AtlJan
Then it is worth talking to the teacher. There will probably be a remedy such as a retest or a curve at the end of the semester.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:31 AM

1,154 posts, read 2,271,051 times
Not sure that your attitude- for example calling her a "lousy" teacher is helping things. Do not depend on your child for accurate information as kids that age tend to see things through their own lenses. Email and talk to the teacher. There are so many times that my kids complained about teachers only to find that these were actually very good teachers that happened to not connect with my kids or were challenging them or perhaps did not teach to the style that my child responded to best. When you communicate with the teacher, make sure you start out with a very neutral, non-accusing approach. No attacking! And remember that emails are often the teacher's best defense if you rant and are unreasonable or threatening.

Also, one bad teacher doesn't mean the entire school or school district is terrible. Even the very best schools (including privates), have some not so great teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or