Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 04:33 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If I'd been in charge I would have had these things rolling sooner but in the big picture it's not that big a deal. No one will remember 10 years from now.
Especially now that it sounds like the FTA is the reason for the delay...

Old 12-20-2014, 01:18 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
That argument, while valid, is way above and beyond the scope of this discussion.

Considering that this is the first phase of a much larger network, I don't find this project a waste of money.
its funny how some people on this forum are focusing on the 1.8 mile first PHASE when they know good and well it is planned to be more estensive.

So dishonest its not even funny

Old 12-20-2014, 09:24 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,708,686 times
As usual, Ant post some outlandish post then disappears while riling up the posters of Atlanta.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:39 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
As usual, Ant post some outlandish post then disappears while riling up the posters of Atlanta.
OPs often disappear when the original premise becomes a major fail.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:58 AM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
I'm trying to stay optimistic about the streetcar, and I hope that it will be open by December 31. Everything is in place, there have been frequent tests, everything is good to go. There's no excuse for it not to be open by the end of the month.

That's not to mention that the rest of the system is pretty far in initial development. This streetcar line will do little by itself, but the entire system (if built out) will make a pretty good impact. If this line is marred with more and more delays, all that will do is shake confidence in the streetcar and transit in general more so than it already has.

Yeah, the City of Atlanta can't do anything right. What a joke of a city!

I mean, look at their falling population! Wait a minute...

Oh, well, look at their deteriorating economy! Wait a minute...

Never mind that, look at their sky-high third-world crime rate! There are people being shot, stabbed, and mugged left and right! Theft everywhere! Gangs roaming the innocent streets of Buckhead! Atlanta can't even police themselves correctly! Wait a minute...

Well, how about that corrupt Kasim Reed? That guy needs to be in prison! I mean, look at how he's turned the city into a corrupt mess and failed to do anything about the budget! He even wants to ask for a bond issuance to repair the city's infrastructure! What a loon. Can't he see that the city's bond rating is in the toilet?! Wait...

How about Hartsfield-Jackson? It's owned by the city of Atlanta, heh, check out that inefficient mess, there are delays, layovers, outages, and accidents everywhere you look! Atlanta can't even run its own airport correctly! Wait a minute...

Do you know how ridiculous that broad brush of a statement sounds? Some of you all seriously sell Atlanta short; no better than the users who sell Cobb short. I'm not some OTP-hating user (I've lived OTP all my life), and it is quite sad that the streetcar hasn't opened 'on time'. That being said, I'm not going to condemn the city and everything it does just because of that.

Besides, if Atlanta can't do anything right, why are places like Druid Hills trying to get in? I mean, DeKalb's not doing well, but Atlanta does everything wrong, so why are they trying to be annexed by the city? Turn back now, Druid Hills, before it's too late!

- skbl17
Most people in Druid Hills in unincorporated DeKalb DON'T want in. There is a group that does.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:01 AM
bu2

Quote:
That argument, while valid, is way above and beyond the scope of this discussion.

Considering that this is the first phase of a much larger network, I don't find this project a waste of money.

It was planned before there was any idea of connecting to the Beltline. Then they looked at the circular Beltline route they were planning and realized it would get 10 people a day and so changed it to connect to their tourist streetcar and actually make the Beltline light rail go someplace people actually wanted to go other than a circle.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:03 AM
bu2

This and the Beltline are economic development projects, not projects designed to transport our existing population, other than as an afterthought.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:06 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
It was planned before there was any idea of connecting to the Beltline. Then they looked at the circular Beltline route they were planning and realized it would get 10 people a day and so changed it to connect to their tourist streetcar and actually make the Beltline light rail go someplace people actually wanted to go other than a circle.
Nothing wrong with that.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:43 PM
bu2

Quote:
Nothing wrong with that.
Certainly good to be flexible with something that doesn't work. However, the posters above were saying it was part of a larger system when it wasn't originally planned that way.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:52 PM

7,356 posts, read 6,525,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Certainly good to be flexible with something that doesn't work. However, the posters above were saying it was part of a larger system when it wasn't originally planned that way.
Yes it was. Maybe not a connection to the beltline, but it was most certainly planned to be the first phase of a large downtown/midtown system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta