Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 01:21 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris-on-ponce View Post
I agree with you and I think that's a sound libertarian way to approach things. But the reality is the benefits of film production in Georgia go way beyond the immediate.

Can I appeal to your love of transit? A streetcar does more to improve a city than carry X-amount of people per day, or Y-amount of people per week (I know that in the case of our streetcar, X and Y are currently at zero). But a downtown streetcar isn't worth it if all we're considering are the number of riders. A streetcar also encourages reinvestment in the neighborhood it runs through. Beautification of the road it runs along. New street-level retail, flower boxes in the median, etc.

Many of the productions that film in Atlanta end up being set here also. I can tell you that countless shows and movies have undergone 11th hour rewrites to have the story set in Georgia and showcase local landmarks. This raises our profile, increases our cultural significance as millions of people around the country and millions more around the world watch these shows and movies.

It betters our city brand. Ultimately, that's what we really want. We want to be the subject of discussion nationally and internationally on topics other than the increasingly-outdated canards of crime and sprawl.

L.A. became L.A. in the 20th Century, not because of the movies that were shot there but because of the movies that were set there. Storytellers made good use of specific neighborhoods, otherwise unremarkable landmarks, and the city's local customs. L.A.-centric culture became seared into the collective consciousness of the movie-going public and the city boomed and expanded like mad and industries flourished and so on.

Beyond all of these intangibles though, film production is a complex industry that requires skilled labor. It demands the creation of trade schools. At the end of the day, gaffing is more rewarding than plucking feathers from chickens in some sweaty factory in South Georgia.
Excellent points! LA was the world's first manufactured city. By manufactured, I mean they essentially created their own cultural stamp. If they can do it, other places can too. That's why I hate to see Atlanta "run" from it's southern culture. To me there is nothing better than a genteel, tree filled city where people are "nice" and everyone has a magnolia tree and a huge front porch on which they drink sweet tea.

I would argue that the Walking Dead is making Atlanta more famous and "cool" than Gone With the Wind or Matlock ever did or could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 02:27 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I sure hope some kind of condo developer will be able to make use of the vacant Pinewood Studios in 10 years.

Pinewood isn't going anywhere.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:50 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,038 times
Based on the full article (I purchased a hard copy), several local studio executives who attended the meeting, including, Cindy Alger CEO of Giant Studios, stated that giving incentives for post production services would actually hurt Georgia’s film industry. The reason? She says that a post production facility must be fully maintained at all times, even when it‘s not in use -- which includes taxes and maintenances. Since Georgia’s film industry is still relatively new, she suggested that the state focus on getting trained crew labor instead. According to her it’s trained crews that Georgia needs right now. On that note, the governor’s office is working on launching the Georgia Film Academy. The academy will offer virtual classes to make it easier for local residents to participate.

The overall sentiment from industry professionals that attended the meeting is that more studios are coming to Georgia for movie production and TV filming because the state has not put an expiration date on their film tax incentives, which gives studios confidence and flexibility to plan for multiple filming seasons. When North Carolina recently decreased their film incentive package, several TV productions had to change locations in mid-season of shooting.

Industry professionals also stated that another reason studios like filming in Georgia, is because there is so much diversity in shooting locations. One of the metro-areas that has become a ‘hot’ filming location is Castleberry Hill.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:57 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,038 times
I know there are several people on the board who are interested in TV and film crew opportunities...but are having a hard time finding them.

The article mentioned that a major post-production company called the SIM Group (which has offices in China, Vancouver, Toronto, and Los Angeles) have opened an office in Atlanta. Since they provide post-production services for movies and TV shows filmed in Atlanta, they may be a good contact for networking and job opportunities.

Below is their contact information:

1379 Chattahoochee Ave, NW
Atlanta, GA 30318

Tel: (404) 355-8000
Fax: (404) 355-8005
E-mail: info.atlanta@simdigital.com

Old 12-20-2014, 09:01 AM

560 posts, read 667,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
... the governor’s office is working on launching the Georgia Film Academy. The academy will offer virtual classes to make it easier for local residents to participate.

Thanks for including this!

Old 12-20-2014, 09:41 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
More than 1,500 industry professionals are registered with the Georgia Production Directory, which is maintained by the state film office. Nearly 400 more are listed in the Support Services Directory.

Crew Login - Reel-Scout

Also, many production jobs are advertised and filled via Facebook groups.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:10 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
Somehow, I think that the people pouring money into studio and production development probably have a little more insight into what's going on than your typical internet poster. If there was a chance that they were going to lose money here, they wouldn't be building. But they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I sure hope some kind of condo developer will be able to make use of the vacant Pinewood Studios in 10 years.
Pinewood just this month poured the slabs for the next five or six sound stages and offices. They are probably putting the walls up as you read this. They are also clearing quite a bit more land to prep for further development. I can't imagine they are doing this on a whim and a hope. They probably have far more than ten years planned out. At least I certainly hope so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta