U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 05:39 PM

2,157 posts, read 1,046,568 times

Advertisements

LOL yeah it must be quiet the change for the long-timers. Yeah, it seems as if a lot of places are developing. At first I thought only sections of exit 1 (from the mall all the way down to U.S. 41) had things to do but I think it will be only a matter of time before more places are developed. I took exit 4 the other day and not sure if you are familiar with it but there used to be only 2 gas stations there and then I saw that there was a new one. At first I laughed and said of all the things they could have put there but then I saw further down the road they are building a senior living community or something like that. Not sure if they are building anything else beside it but things are happening in Kennesaw. I also noticed the other day that they have built more apartments designed for Kennesaw students. They look nice from the outside and I am glad students have more options towards housing.

Wow! That's pretty fast...within a week or two. At first I thought the stadium would not have an effect because even though people may move out of the area due to traffic concerns, a lot of people would love to be near to the stadium too. I think that the people who prefer less traffic may move further north, which would benefit North Cobb. That's the only plus I can really think of. The value of houses would probably go up as North Cobb and even Cherokee become more desirable. I guess it wouldn't just be because of the stadium but the schools and you can also get more house for your money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 05:42 PM

Downtown Kennesaw really does need more development. I'm pretty sure people currently prefer to go to Marietta or maybe even Woodstock (for entertainment) because of lack of options in downtown Kennesaw. I just hope as they are building, they also keep in mind parking LOL. I visited downtown Marietta the other day and it was quiet the nightmare. Woodstock has a neat little downtown area though.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:04 PM

994 posts, read 1,110,355 times
I am cautiously optimistic about an increase in downtown Kennesaw options. A new sandwich shop just opened next to the library. There's also a new indie formal wear shop and a dog groomer in downtown Kennesaw. According to the mayor, developers of the new Revival on Main apartment complex are in talks with several dining and retail establishments regarding the street-level storefronts of that new complex.

Also, the old bank by the community center is going to become a two-level restaurant. I forgot the name of it though.

The old white house by Adams Park is supposed to become part of a future mixed-use development, anchored by townhouses, I have read.

And townhomes are supposed to be built across from Swift-Cantrell park (that open field across the street), bordering Rutledge. There is also a single-family new senior housing development being built on Moon Station, with prices starting in the $250Ks-$260Ks.

Parking will be interesting in downtown Kennesaw, but the new Revival apartments have a HUGE parking garage attached, which I assume will also be for public use. That should help.

I think the area will become more desirable because of the Braves stadium in an odd way; it's close enough to it, yet far away enough not to be completely engulfed in its drama. LOL.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:46 PM

I am also cautiously optimistic. Maybe it's because I can't see where but the downtown area seems so small. I'm not sure where they would get the space to build more. Then again, maybe it's a good thing the downtown area won't be too built up. Oh wow...two-level restaurant. That sounds interesting. I had no idea all this was going on in Kennesaw. I can't wait to visit when everything is finished.

One thing I like about Kennesaw's development is that different areas are being built up. It's not just one area all resources are centered on. And in response to your last paragraph, I completely agree LOL.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:37 AM

34 posts, read 30,318 times
I hope plans are in the works to maybe try and build some bars around campus. Right now, there is NOTHING in Kennesaw for students to do on the weekends.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:04 AM

378 posts, read 309,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eneq View Post
I hope plans are in the works to maybe try and build some bars around campus. Right now, there is NOTHING in Kennesaw for students to do on the weekends.
You've got the new Hudson Grille (used to be Bailey's), Mazzy's, Café Istanbul, that new Owl *something bar on Cherokee St (used to be BullFrogz), Electric Cowboy (<- not my scene AT ALL. but you might be into it), even Diamond Daves (which I call "the last resort"). You also have the multitude of college parties that are pretty much open invite at all the nearby apartments. I never had nothing to do while at KSU, and even now I find plenty to do on the weekends when I feel like it.
The issue is that a lot of the bars don't stay around long. They end up being shut down thanks to underage drinkers who ruin the fun for everyone else. But usually, a new bar will open up in the same building as the old bar. Probably same management but under a different name, lol. But there are definitely bars around campus at the moment! Talk to other students and alumni.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:33 PM

378 posts, read 309,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lethalhipster2 View Post
Dumpster Daves
HAHA that's why it's the last resort! I've seen some regrettable things in that place.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:38 PM

1,062 posts, read 691,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Downtown Kennesaw really does need more development. I'm pretty sure people currently prefer to go to Marietta or maybe even Woodstock (for entertainment) because of lack of options in downtown Kennesaw. I just hope as they are building, they also keep in mind parking LOL. I visited downtown Marietta the other day and it was quiet the nightmare. Woodstock has a neat little downtown area though.
Street parking on the Square can be tricky, it's true, but the garage just north of the northeast corner of the Square almost always has plenty of room, and is free after 5 PM on weekdays, and 24/7 on the weekend!

That said, when the weather permits, we try to walk there from our house

Old 07-05-2015, 08:11 AM

KENNESAW — City officials are considering spending about $32,000 to redesign the plan for Depot Park near the downtown area of the city.

Councilwoman Cris Eaton-Welsh said the park, which is on Cherokee Street across from the Southern Museum, is booming with activity.

“It’s really grown, especially with all the events the Kennesaw Development Authority has been sponsoring there. It’s taken off,” Eaton-Welsh said.

The park is home to Dinner at the Depot, Mondays from 6 to 9 p.m., when food trucks gather to serve dinner, and other special events.

However, the park still needs to be developed into a better gathering space, said Bob Fox, the city’s economic development director.

“The master plan for Depot Park was last updated in 2008. Some of the things in the plan are valid still, but not everything,” Fox said.

Fox said it would cost $32,000 to pay Marietta-based Croy Engineering to update the plan, and he wants the council members to continue discussing a possible update this month before taking a vote on what to do.

Eaton-Welsh said she wants an amphitheater there.

“The idea really is to make the museum the focal point and have all paths lead to the Southern Museum. I’m dead set on an open-air amphitheater there,” Eaton-Welsh said.

She said it could be used for music and theater performances but also for picnics and seating.

There is a natural valley in the park now where she said the amphitheater would fit perfectly.

“Now it’s where we shoot our fireworks off from,” Eaton-Welsh said.

Eaton-Welsh said she is in favor of updating the plan.

“I love that Croy is going to do it because they really understand what we want and they have a vision that I think is really going to match ours. My vision is creating a place for people to hang out and linger a little longer in downtown,” Eaton-Welsh said.

Councilwoman Debra Williams said she also has a vision for the park. She wants the park to have memorials of Kennesaw’s role in the Civil War to show its history.

“What cities are now realizing is if you want to be somewhere that people want to come, they want to come to learn about your city,” Williams said. “People are no longer going just for attractions, they’re going for destinations, and we’ve got to think about that when we’re thinking about the Depot plan. No one is going to come just for concrete and grass.”

Williams said she wants to create a connection between the Depot and the Southern Museum of Civil War and Locomotive History, which sits across the street.

“We have a huge museum that I don’t believe we are taking full advantage of that sits at the helm of our Depot. I would love to see us get our hands on some trains sitting in graveyards and find a place to put them in the Depot,” Williams said.

To attract visitors to the city, Williams said she believes the Depot needs to have historic

Old 07-05-2015, 03:44 PM

New single-family senior-living (55+) community under construction, starting in the $260Ks:

Victoria Crossing | Fortress Builders
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or