U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-19-2014, 10:42 PM
 
69 posts, read 46,108 times
Reputation: 23

Advertisements

Where is the most abundant jewish population in High Schools in Duluth and East Cobb areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-20-2014, 01:12 AM
 
12,890 posts, read 20,969,336 times
Reputation: 4076
Walton
Pope
*especially Walton. Both are in East Cobb.

Riverwood and North Springs in Sandy Springs have large Jewish populations--especially Riverwood.

Dunwoody (in Dunwoody) also has a large Jewish population.


Others will chime in with more info for you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2014, 07:03 AM
 
3,966 posts, read 10,796,748 times
Reputation: 1427
Quote:
Originally Posted by imirab View Post
Where is the most abundant jewish population in High Schools in Duluth and East Cobb areas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Walton
Pope
*especially Walton. Both are in East Cobb.

Riverwood and North Springs in Sandy Springs have large Jewish populations--especially Riverwood.

Dunwoody (in Dunwoody) also has a large Jewish population.


Others will chime in with more info for you...
I want to make sure that you are coming in with realistic expectations. There isn't a public high school (perhaps the exception is Walton) that is going to have a Jewish population of over say 10 percent. The metro area is large and the Jewish population, which has concentrations in some areas, is fairly well spread out.

The most Jewish students in public schools are likely in East Cobb, followed by Dunwoody. For high school, you will also find relatively large numbers at N. Springs and Riverwood. Lakeside High School (DeKalb) also has many Jewish families.

There aren't a ton of Jewish families in the Duluth area and the high schools on the Gwinnett side are so large, that even if there are a few, it doesn't amount to much. There are some in the various N. Fulton schools, but again, some have such large populations that the percentage is fairly low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2014, 07:54 AM
 
1,683 posts, read 1,667,261 times
Reputation: 1442
In terms of Jewish culture and community, Riverwood. As stated before, many students from Epstein and Greenfield and Davis Academy go to Riverwood for high school. Weber School has risen in prominence though so more students may be staying private through high school. There also many Jewish students in private schools like Pace Academy (no school on Yom Kippur etc), Galloway and Paideia and others. However if I were looking for a public high school with a strong Jewish community/culture that has been strong for 30+ years, I would choose Riverwood. You can read the Atlanta Jewish Times online and get a feel for the Atlanta Jewish scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2014, 10:50 AM
 
69 posts, read 46,108 times
Reputation: 23
Thanks for the reply! This is very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2014, 10:57 AM
 
69 posts, read 46,108 times
Reputation: 23
Thanks for your help! Lots of information... appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2014, 11:02 AM
 
3,966 posts, read 10,796,748 times
Reputation: 1427
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
In terms of Jewish culture and community, Riverwood. As stated before, many students from Epstein and Greenfield and Davis Academy go to Riverwood for high school. Weber School has risen in prominence though so more students may be staying private through high school. There also many Jewish students in private schools like Pace Academy (no school on Yom Kippur etc), Galloway and Paideia and others. However if I were looking for a public high school with a strong Jewish community/culture that has been strong for 30+ years, I would choose Riverwood. You can read the Atlanta Jewish Times online and get a feel for the Atlanta Jewish scene.
ATLJAN

I am curious, with the change in Riverwood's ability to accept students from outside of Fulton and the fact that they are mostly full, if this is changing. I know that many students use to go from the day schools to Riverwood, but many were out of district (and out of county). I know a great many day school students now go to N. Springs.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2014, 01:51 PM
 
1,683 posts, read 1,667,261 times
Reputation: 1442
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
ATLJAN

I am curious, with the change in Riverwood's ability to accept students from outside of Fulton and the fact that they are mostly full, if this is changing. I know that many students use to go from the day schools to Riverwood, but many were out of district (and out of county). I know a great many day school students now go to N. Springs.

Any thoughts?
I think you are right. In addition the metro area is just larger and more diffuse--more great schools in outer suburbs and great private options as well. Here is a link to Davis Academy's alumni newsletter. A lot of Pace, Riverwood, North Springs, Walton, and Weber mentions: The Davis Academy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2014, 04:29 PM
 
1,381 posts, read 2,478,644 times
Reputation: 821
Riverwood had a very large Jewish population when I was there in the mid/late 90s. I couldn't imagine E. Cobb having a larger population, but maybe they do. I'm not sure how much that has changed, but imagine its somewhat the same at Riverwood with some impact from the Weber School.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top