U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 11:00 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,796,748 times

Advertisements

Another thing to consider, whichever person has to go towards Dunwoody, if you live East of there, will have an absolutely brutal morning and evening commute (if work hours are typical). On the other hand, if you could find something in Chamblee or Brookhaven that met your needs, the person commuting East (Stockbridge) would be going against traffic at least part of the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 06:29 AM

4 posts, read 7,719 times
Thank you all for the insight!!!

Old 12-28-2014, 06:42 AM

3,315 posts, read 3,759,184 times
I wouldn't buy a home in Scottdale. I was nearly mugged over the and one of my friends was attacked, strangled and nearly raped in that area as well. It is a convenient area but not the safest. And the schools aren't great.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:31 AM

513 posts, read 1,398,946 times
I've posted in the past about our experience in Scottdale and it's mostly been good. We moved into a new subdivision here in 2002 and I did worry a lot about crime. There has been nothing more than a few home and car breakins. I kind of laugh saying that like it's acceptable. It really stinks, but I lived in Buckhead and while there my roommate was mugged in our carport and we were bulgarized a month later. It can happen anywhere. I jog three times a week through Scottdale and have never had any bad experiences beyond a couple of snappy dogs. Why live here? Price and location to my job downtown. And now schools. Yep, schools. The Museum School has been the best thing to happen to us. Wonderful place for our kids. But that's a tough sell for newcomers because of the lottery. Definite gamble.

We're a bit worried, though, about what is going to happen down the road. I wouldn't complain if the area was a little nicer, but right now I really want things to be status quo. All this annexation and new city talk (w/out Scottdale in the plans) could really be a bummer. And Druid Hills High could easily be a goner for us if they go to Atlanta. Beyond that, we have absolutely no plans to leave. Considering the price we paid for our house, this is a decent spot. Close to downtown Decatur, close to Emory, close to 285 (and Northlake Mall), close to some of the funky fun down Little 5 Points way and less than 30 minutes from downtown.

I wanted to give you some perspective from someone who actually lives here. Feel free to PM me for our specific location if you want more info. You mentioned a street that is actually more than a mile from our house, so it's a different feel over that way (actually maybe safer). Scottdale can change from one street to the next. The Tobie Grant homes on North Decatur are being demolished right now with a new development going in. It's a massive piece of land and I'm really curious what it's going to look like. Mixed development, but I think it's going to mainly be senior homes. Never got the sense that the old Tobie Grant project was unsafe anyway (they were always maintained nicely).

Old 12-29-2014, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Have you looked within Avondale Estates? It would give you some stability because of local governance as it is a city. Plus, you would have access (though not a guarantee) to the Museum School?
Scottdale is in the Avondale Elementary School district, which means they are in the first tier for getting in The Museum School. There are many families in my subdivision here in Scottdale with kids there.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:42 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,796,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantamoi View Post
I've posted in the past about our experience in Scottdale and it's mostly been good. We moved into a new subdivision here in 2002 and I did worry a lot about crime. There has been nothing more than a few home and car breakins. I kind of laugh saying that like it's acceptable. It really stinks, but I lived in Buckhead and while there my roommate was mugged in our carport and we were bulgarized a month later. It can happen anywhere. I jog three times a week through Scottdale and have never had any bad experiences beyond a couple of snappy dogs. Why live here? Price and location to my job downtown. And now schools. Yep, schools. The Museum School has been the best thing to happen to us. Wonderful place for our kids. But that's a tough sell for newcomers because of the lottery. Definite gamble.

We're a bit worried, though, about what is going to happen down the road. I wouldn't complain if the area was a little nicer, but right now I really want things to be status quo. All this annexation and new city talk (w/out Scottdale in the plans) could really be a bummer. And Druid Hills High could easily be a goner for us if they go to Atlanta. Beyond that, we have absolutely no plans to leave. Considering the price we paid for our house, this is a decent spot. Close to downtown Decatur, close to Emory, close to 285 (and Northlake Mall), close to some of the funky fun down Little 5 Points way and less than 30 minutes from downtown.

I wanted to give you some perspective from someone who actually lives here. Feel free to PM me for our specific location if you want more info. You mentioned a street that is actually more than a mile from our house, so it's a different feel over that way (actually maybe safer). Scottdale can change from one street to the next. The Tobie Grant homes on North Decatur are being demolished right now with a new development going in. It's a massive piece of land and I'm really curious what it's going to look like. Mixed development, but I think it's going to mainly be senior homes. Never got the sense that the old Tobie Grant project was unsafe anyway (they were always maintained nicely).
Quote:
Scottdale is in the Avondale Elementary School district, which means they are in the first tier for getting in The Museum School. There are many families in my subdivision here in Scottdale with kids there.
Good to know about Scottdale and TMS. But I will say that there are multiple mature ATL charters who fill most of their kindergarten class with siblings, so even the lotteries have become kind of a joke. That will ebb and flow through the years, because of the way demographics work (most families only have a couple of kids, so when the youngest gets in, then that family is through.

I bolded the part about cityhood and annexation because I think bummer is to soft a word to use if Scottdale is left out (or loses DHHS). It is something to be concerned about. I expect there to be an organized effort to convince people to vote no on both cityhood and annexation. You and your neighbors would be wise to consider volunteering and contributing $ if such votes actually ever occur. (or get yourselves annexed in Avondale)

When Scottdale becomes the nicest part of unincorporated DeKalb, the county is likely to mess it up good and quickly.

The City of Avondale sent out an email recently about the impact of CoA annexation recently mentioning the potential loss of DHHS. Between TMS and DHHS, I think young families see Avondale as more of a viable option than before.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:21 AM

20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
A friend that currently flipping houses in Scottdale informed me that the housing project on N Decatur is coming down. That to me is going make an enormous change for the positive.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
A friend that currently flipping houses in Scottdale informed me that the housing project on N Decatur is coming down. That to me is going make an enormous change for the positive.
Yeah, it looks like a huge tornado went through there. It's such a massive tract of land. Very much interested to see the end result.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:22 PM

20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
Quote:
Yeah, it looks like a huge tornado went through there. It's such a massive tract of land. Very much interested to see the end result.
Yeah, I missed your comment on this before. If there was a problem in Scottdale, it usually emanated from Tobie Grant. Any news on what's going in there?

Old 12-29-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Any news on what's going in there?
This is the latest I could find:

Tobie Grant will be a master planned mixed finance community. The proposed concept has one (1) family and two (2) senior developments. The concept also includes 80 for-sale single family detached and 72
townhomes and with potential for retail. Each phase will be stand-alone projects with separate financing. They will not share amenities or any other financial and physical component. We are working in partnership with DeKalb County Community Development to include an inter-generational center that will be located at the rear of the site.

http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.nalhfa....aron_Guest.pdf

The same developer of this property off Johnson Ferry is doing the work at Tobie Grant. I really don't know if it will look like this photo, but it surely will be an improvement.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or