U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 07:25 AM

4 posts, read 7,719 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Atlanta most of my life. I grew up in Stone Mountain and as I got older have rented houses by Grady HS off Monroe, the Virginia Highlands, and now Vinings.

My husband and I are ready to purchase and are trying to find the middle ground for our jobs (I work in Brookhaven/Dunwoody, he works in Stockbridge/McDonough). We found a great house that we're considering putting an offer on in Scottdale, GA, right near the DeKalb Farmer's Market.

I've been doing research on crime and safety there and have found conflicting and mixed reviews. What can you tell me about the area? What has your experience been? Does anyone know if Scottdale has plans for revitalization?

Any help would be great! Thank you.

Kindly,

AtlantaNative
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 08:06 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,796,748 times
Good Morning! I want to make sure you know that Scottdale isn't a city, it is a part of unincorporated DeKalb.

First and foremost, I would study the proposed map for the new cities of LaVista Hills and Tucker as well as the annexation map of the Druid Hills area. What are Clarkston's and St. Mountain's annexation plans?

Here is the map of LaVista Hills and Tucker:

New maps for LaVista Hills, Tucker revealed - Decaturish

You need to have a clear understanding of what the various cityhood efforts mean for that area. Is it included, excluded, possibly annexed by a city that might not be great etc.

Second, you don't mention children, but do you plan on having them in the future? The challenge with homes in areas like this, is barring some significant changes in both DeKalb county governance* and the quality of the schools, you are unlikely to see much (if any) appreciation of home values in the short (or even long) term. The schools in that area aren't considered good, and some are actually pretty bad. So, if you are having children anytime soon, you may find yourself stuck with an unsaleable house when you need to move for better schools.

*--If Scottdale is included in a new city or annexed by a strong city, you may find values increase slightly because of better service provision. School quality will remain a concern though.

DeKalb County Government is beyond dysfunctional and there are lots of areas that need revitalization. The challenge is that there is a total lack of competence at the bureaucratic level and a frightening combination of incompetence and corruption at the elected official level.

What is your price point? You might consider answering these questions to see if we have some out of the box suggestions for you...

1. Budget
2. House/Condo/Townhome?
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)
4. Children(public school vs. private)
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.

Last edited by lastminutemom; 12-21-2014 at 08:26 AM..

Old 12-21-2014, 04:56 PM

Thank you for the info, lastminutemom! Thanks for clarifying that it's unincoporated DeKalb. I just say Scottdale because it would actually be the "city" for our mailing address should we decide to purchase. I appreciate your sending the annexation map. I've read countless threads about whether Scottdale should be welcomed into certain cities but find that it mostly gets ignored which might speak for itself.

There's definitely some bureaucratic issues. Many places in Atlanta need revitalization, but I only hear of cityhood efforts in areas like Kirkwood, East Lake, Reynoldstown, and so it's unclear whether there are plans for the Scottdale area. We looked in those places as well but haven't found a place we both love that close to the city. As far as Scottdale, I wonder if the DeKalb Farmer's Market expansion will help or hurt its value?

Again, I so appreciate your help! Here's what we're thinking:

1. Budget: 250K
2. House/Condo/Townhome: House with yard (we have 2 dogs)
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home): commute
4. Children(public school vs. private): public if we are in a strong school system, private if not. If we end up getting the Scottsdale house, we would send kids to St. Thomas More in Decatur
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: mix
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?: not important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood: just safe really.

Would love other suggestions for common ground between Dunwoody and Stockbridge.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Old 12-21-2014, 09:09 PM

58 posts, read 55,574 times
Scottdale is interesting. I grew up about 10 minutes west from there and used to drive to it every day en route to my private HS in Decatur.

To me Scottdale is an eclectic mix of tattoo parlors, convenience stores (outside of Dekalb Farmers Market it is a Food Desert), and small ranches that were union housing from the Steel Mill.

Actually the white folks there remind of a rural GA town, very blue collar, southern salt of the earth people. I can see it gentrifying in the future, but overall it seems like its kind of stuck in time.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:42 AM

Default Yes, it is stuck in time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLSkier View Post
Scottdale is interesting. I grew up about 10 minutes west from there and used to drive to it every day en route to my private HS in Decatur.

To me Scottdale is an eclectic mix of tattoo parlors, convenience stores (outside of Dekalb Farmers Market it is a Food Desert), and small ranches that were union housing from the Steel Mill.

Actually the white folks there remind of a rural GA town, very blue collar, southern salt of the earth people. I can see it gentrifying in the future, but overall it seems like its kind of stuck in time.
Thank you ATLSkier. I appreciate your insight. I agree with your statement that it's a food desert aside from the Farmer's Market. Yes, the house we looked at was on McLendon which seemed to be a good street, but then I read there were a few break-ins there just this week. I suppose that risk comes with moving closer to the city.

It does seem a bit stuck in time, and I'm not sure when/where it will start a gentrification process. Hmmmm. Thanks again!

Old 12-22-2014, 09:01 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,796,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaNative1216 View Post
Thank you ATLSkier. I appreciate your insight. I agree with your statement that it's a food desert aside from the Farmer's Market. Yes, the house we looked at was on McLendon which seemed to be a good street, but then I read there were a few break-ins there just this week. I suppose that risk comes with moving closer to the city.

It does seem a bit stuck in time, and I'm not sure when/where it will start a gentrification process. Hmmmm. Thanks again!
It may never. Especially if it stays unincorporated or gets snatched up by a weak city. Even in Atlanta proper, there are neighborhoods that were "gentrifying" 20 yrs ago and still haven't gotten there.

Historically, gentrification follows a pattern and that pattern usually includes parents with school age children. Given the state of schools in that area, it is unlikely. Most people with school age children (certainly not all) would rather spend $ on a house in a strong school district and avoid tuition. (I know Catholic families are different as is the often lower tuition at Catholic schools.)

Additionally, DeKalb chooses not to use its resources to improve things. They mismanage money and generally lack the vision necessary to move this county forward.

Have you looked within Avondale Estates? It would give you some stability because of local governance as it is a city. Plus, you would have access (though not a guarantee) to the Museum School?

Old 12-22-2014, 10:30 AM

29 posts, read 28,936 times
There is a Kroger on North Decatur Road, accessible by all of Scottdale within a 5 to 10 minute drive.

I can't see Scottdale improving as an area anytime soon. Too many neighborhoods with better locations to get to first.

I think you will HAVE to go the private route, so glad you're considering that.

I agree with the poster who said that your home purchase will not necessarily equal an investment. You will either get what you paid when you decide to sell or you will have to sell at a lost. It's just not a desirable place to live for most people, especially people with means.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:45 AM

445 posts, read 356,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGoLucky15 View Post
There is a Kroger on North Decatur Road, accessible by all of Scottdale within a 5 to 10 minute drive.
Yeah, I don't know that I'd classify Scottdale as a food desert, what with the now-huge Kroger and YDFM, which might be the largest grocery store in the country after its expansion (http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/...rket-expansion)

Old 12-22-2014, 10:54 AM

445 posts, read 356,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaNative1216 View Post
Many places in Atlanta need revitalization, but I only hear of cityhood efforts in areas like Kirkwood, East Lake, Reynoldstown, and so it's unclear whether there are plans for the Scottdale area.
I didn't quite understand this part. All of those are Atlanta neighborhoods and none is pushing to be its own city.

To your original post, if it's convenient traffic-wise for you, and you're looking for areas where the houses are likely to increase in value, I think you'd be better off looking at SE Atlanta neighborhoods, like the ones you listed plus Grant Park and Ormewood Park. But I don't know if you can get much for $250K in these neighborhoods anymore.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:00 AM

668 posts, read 786,281 times
I would hold off on buying in the area until you have more details about what is going into the shuttered Tobie Grant homes. From what I read, the County has the area slated for redevelopment and was hoping to begin construction in 2014. However, I don't think demolition of the old housing projects has even started yet. You probably can't count on increasing home value if the area is going to remain a ghost town for the forseeable future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or