U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-24-2014, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,844 posts, read 14,527,425 times
Reputation: 3484

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
(Bolding Mine) Someone takes the train: MBTA > Riding the T > Patriots
Yeah, OK. Maybe if you live in Boston you can take commuter rail from South Station to Gillette. Folks on the north shore, in metro west, NH, RI, CT aren't taking the T. People tailgating aren't taking the T.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-24-2014, 09:12 PM
 
9,918 posts, read 6,912,792 times
Reputation: 3022
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
(Bolding Mine) Someone takes the train: MBTA > Riding the T > Patriots
Yeah, a dedicated rail transit stop is probably a sign that not everyone drives.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2014, 09:17 PM
 
9,918 posts, read 6,912,792 times
Reputation: 3022
Go compare the satellite map of Gillette Stadium area and look at all the parking (even though it has a rail transit station). Then go look at the area around the Cobb Stadium and ask yourself where the parking will go.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,844 posts, read 14,527,425 times
Reputation: 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Yeah, a dedicated rail transit stop is probably a sign that not everyone drives.
Ever been to Massachusetts? Ever lived there?

I have and did for nearly 16 years. If you knew anything about the geography, you'd know that it's not practical to take the T to Gillette from anywhere but the immediate Boston/Cambridge area. Do people use it...sure, but they're a pretty small minority of the fans attending games.

This is where reality trumps your wishful thinking.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 12:28 PM
 
9,918 posts, read 6,912,792 times
Reputation: 3022
So you are standing by your claim that 100% of fans drive to Gillette Stadium?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 01:12 PM
 
28,148 posts, read 24,687,439 times
Reputation: 9544
A transit stop near Cumberland would be a nice amenity. It would also be handy for getting to the new stadium, especially if the line followed the northern arc, with additional stops at Perimeter and Doraville.

However, it's hard to see this as a high priority item for the immediate future.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 01:20 PM
 
5,393 posts, read 4,903,585 times
Reputation: 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
A transit stop near Cumberland would be a nice amenity. It would also be handy for getting to the new stadium, especially if the line followed the northern arc, with additional stops at Perimeter and Doraville.

However, it's hard to see this as a high priority item for the immediate future.
A future high-capacity transit line actually is kind of a high priority. The State of Georgia (of all entities) actually drew up plans for a high-capacity transit line before a new stadium in the Cumberland area was even a thought as part of the overall plans to improve the entire I-285 Top End Perimeter between Cumberland and Doraville (Revive 285).

The problem is that like almost all things transportation-related in Metro Atlanta these days, the plans for a such a high-capacity transit line are completely unfunded.

The construction of the new Braves stadium in the Cumberland area actually potentially moves up the timeline that such an east-west high-capacity transit line across the I-285 Top End Perimeter would be built. Though the problem remains that funding is completely nonexistent at this point.

Heck, funding remains nonexistent for most minimal road related matters like simple maintenance, but funding especially remains nonexistent for transit.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 02:07 PM
 
28,148 posts, read 24,687,439 times
Reputation: 9544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
A future high-capacity transit line actually is kind of a high priority. The State of Georgia (of all entities) actually drew up plans for a high-capacity transit line before a new stadium in the Cumberland area was even a thought as part of the overall plans to improve the entire I-285 Top End Perimeter between Cumberland and Doraville (Revive 285).

The problem is that like almost all things transportation-related in Metro Atlanta these days, the plans for a such a high-capacity transit line are completely unfunded.

The construction of the new Braves stadium in the Cumberland area actually potentially moves up the timeline that such an east-west high-capacity transit line across the I-285 Top End Perimeter would be built. Though the problem remains that funding is completely nonexistent at this point.

Heck, funding remains nonexistent for most minimal road related matters like simple maintenance, but funding especially remains nonexistent for transit.
Very valid points, B2R.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
105 posts, read 116,391 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
A future high-capacity transit line actually is kind of a high priority. The State of Georgia (of all entities) actually drew up plans for a high-capacity transit line before a new stadium in the Cumberland area was even a thought as part of the overall plans to improve the entire I-285 Top End Perimeter between Cumberland and Doraville (Revive 285).

The problem is that like almost all things transportation-related in Metro Atlanta these days, the plans for a such a high-capacity transit line are completely unfunded.

The construction of the new Braves stadium in the Cumberland area actually potentially moves up the timeline that such an east-west high-capacity transit line across the I-285 Top End Perimeter would be built. Though the problem remains that funding is completely nonexistent at this point.

Heck, funding remains nonexistent for most minimal road related matters like simple maintenance, but funding especially remains nonexistent for transit.
Very interesting, great info. Really hoping that happens down the road.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 03:53 PM
 
5,393 posts, read 4,903,585 times
Reputation: 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaud12 View Post
Very interesting, great info. Really hoping that happens down the road.
Here's a link to a page with some details about where the future high-capacity transit line and stations are proposed to go (though keep in mind that these plans were drawn up many years before the Braves announced that they were moving to Cumberland):
Transit Station Planning
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top