Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 10:53 AM

338 posts, read 556,686 times

Advertisements

Does anyone agree with this guy? I think it's sort of funny what he's saying and I ALMOST agree with him but I enjoyed the Buckhead and Midtown areas a lot more than he did apparently. Atlanta might not be New York or Chicago but it's certainly got stuff to do.

Atlanta’s Most Overrated Neighborhoods | Miserable Yankee

Looks like that was written back in March and he hasn't written anything since, so maybe he was just having a bad day.

As far as this topic is concerned though, are there others you would add to the list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 11:06 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Well he spent half a paragraph talking about scrambled eggs, so...

Old 12-21-2014, 12:00 PM

925 posts, read 1,333,851 times
I lived in the center of buckhead and i would have to agree with him. Its like a suburban city, there are plenty of sidewalks but not much street level activity. I disagree with him on midtown, 2nd-15th street seem to be the best part of town for me.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:20 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,235,984 times
He called Piedmont Park lame, so he clearly has no credibility.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:31 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,666 times
The problem is that he is comparing a southern city to megacities in the north. He is the fool to even waste his time. All he has said is Atlanta does not compare to the megacities up north. We all already know that. Duh. He loses credibility with me bc he was not smart enough to know that in the first place.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:22 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
The problem is that he is comparing a southern city to megacities in the north. He is the fool to even waste his time. All he has said is Atlanta does not compare to the megacities up north. We all already know that. Duh. He loses credibility with me bc he was not smart enough to know that in the first place.
There are many people who are of the opinion that Chicago is highly overrated too. I've personally read many reviews and conversations with people of that opinion. It's not considered a match for NYC. There is NO US city that can compare to NYC's cultural offerings in terms of art, music, dance, theater, and food. NY is the dominant city of the US and will be for a long time. The first stage of dominance is becoming a center of international contact. NY had it's port and just happened to become the center of immigration entry at Ellis Island. Due to all this trade and commerce, it became the business capital. With all this money and international contact comes cultural offerings. It's a process and it took NY a while to get there. It's not unthinkable that a shift could occur to somewhere else SOMEDAY. After all, at one time Boston was the biggest. Philadelphia was also America's largest and most important city at one point. New York overtook them both. In terms of cultural offerings, not one US city comes close. NY has more museums, artists, food, international events, cultural exchange, action, and design than ANY other city. It happens to be in the north, but the other northern cities are no match for it either.

This doesn't mean Atlanta isn't important. I find it appealing and interesting. Most everyone I know or ever met had at least some interest in it due to the Civil War, Gone With the Wind, MLK, Jr., civil rights, southern charm, etc. Heck, I've even met people who were fascinated with it due to it being a microcosm of American urban race struggles. I knew a black woman that I worked with once from NYC who thought of Atlanta as the promised land. She described it to me as "pretty" and she spoke as if she were describing a "vision" of some sort of paradise. It was clear from her tone that she was aware of it's status as "black mecca." Some of this is mythical but still, the pull is there for many.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:33 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
I think he knows, or may be, Mathman...

Old 12-21-2014, 01:51 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post

Soft Yankee. He says he likes walkable but can't handle the Lenox parking lot? Thinks its unbearable in the summer? After Houston, I find Atlanta summers very pleasant. Not sure DC doesn't have worse summers than Atlanta. Usually humid up there. NY can be hot with all the concrete.

He really loses credibility when he talks about the sidewalks in Buckhead. Don't think he's been off the main streets.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:52 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
And I like the corner bakery. I don't go there for toast.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:18 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,512,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I think he knows, or may be, Mathman...

I said the same thing. The hate is skrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta