U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 11:56 PM

2,068 posts, read 1,790,013 times

Advertisements

If we win Sunday, we will probably get the Cardinals at home in the playoffs--the only team outside our division that we beat this year. I am guessing the Cards will be favored--but, if I were a betting man, I would take the Falcons in that game. Phoenix has a problem at quarterback, and that should be enough to make the Falcons defense look respectable, and our offense is pretty good on its own.

If the Falcons were to somehow win the Super Bowl they would have 11 victories to 7 defeats, combining the regular season with the playoffs, but they will most likely only have beaten 7 teams, and lost to 9--even counting playoff victories! (The 7 teams they will have beaten-- the 3 teams in their division--twice each, Phoenix--twice, and 3 other teams in the playoffs--versus the the 9 teams that beat them in the regular season.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 09:28 PM

7,846 posts, read 14,851,618 times
Falcons are 6-9 and the only reason they're not in last place is because the rest of the division is as bad or worse.

I'll be rooting for them, up to the point (Obama is more likely to cut spending) that they play the Patriots in the Superbowl. Having said that, I don't give them much chance beyond pulling out an upset at home in the wildcard round, if they beat Carolina.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:25 AM

2,819 posts, read 9,360,787 times
Default Rise Up!

Think of it this way, if Atlanta wins today we will be the first 7-9 Division Champions.
We rank 32 in defense.
All is in our favor!

Remember the 8-8 Giants? They backed into the playoffs, won the Conference and won the Super Bowl.

So, keep the faith and hope Newtons mobility is a little off due to his back. He is still a little iffy, as he should have rested last week.

Go Falcons! Keep the faith and crossing your fingers will not hurt either

Old 12-28-2014, 06:26 AM

Other teams have won a division with a 7-9 record. Most recently the Seahawks in 2010.

2010 Seattle Seahawks season - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-28-2014, 09:01 AM

561 posts, read 484,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Other teams have won a division with a 7-9 record. Most recently the Seahawks in 2010.

2010 Seattle Seahawks season - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I think this was the only other time. And they went on to host the Saints and beat them, proving that teams with losing records do belong in the playoffs and that the difference between a 7-9 team and a 9-7 team is trivial at best and has more to do with catching a few lucky breaks earlier in the season.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris-on-ponce View Post
I think this was the only other time. And they went on to host the Saints and beat them, proving that teams with losing records do belong in the playoffs and that the difference between a 7-9 team and a 9-7 team is trivial at best and has more to do with catching a few lucky breaks earlier in the season.
Getting in because your division sucks, and "belonging there" are two separate things. Is it "fair" or right that the Falcons may host a game at 7-9 while a team like Green Bay or Arizona or Seattle would have to go on the road at 12-4 or 11-5?

As I commented, it's possible the Falcons could even win in the wildcard round at home, but that doesn't mean the Falcons are a playoff caliber team. In any other division or year, they would be bottom of the pack. As it stands today, they're #9 in a weak NFC, and #21 in the NFL.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:40 AM

446 posts, read 527,964 times
Atlanta is the team i would want too play they not as scary as people trying to make them seem.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:13 AM

561 posts, read 484,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Getting in because your division sucks, and "belonging there" are two separate things. Is it "fair" or right that the Falcons may host a game at 7-9 while a team like Green Bay or Arizona or Seattle would have to go on the road at 12-4 or 11-5?

As I commented, it's possible the Falcons could even win in the wildcard round at home, but that doesn't mean the Falcons are a playoff caliber team. In any other division or year, they would be bottom of the pack. As it stands today, they're #9 in a weak NFC, and #21 in the NFL.
Actually, I would say it's fairer that a good team is given the opportunity to draw first blood in the playoffs against a lousy team than another good team. Also, having a weak team like the Falcons in the mix makes for a more interesting postseason, especially if/when that weak team steals a victory from a worthier team. Unlike MLB or NBA playoffs in which a five or seven-game series, both home and away, determines who advances, there's much more likelihood of an upset in football, hence the expression "any given Sunday."

I would agree with you that it might be unfair for the teams that have great records but miss the postseason entirely due to being in a competitive division, but in general, I don't think we should preclude sub-500 teams from making the playoffs just because the opposite is true. If Atlanta wins today, they do belong in the playoffs.

And since we're talking about fairness, it's worth repeating that there's very little difference between a 7-9 team and a 9-7 team. In fact, depending on how difficult a team's schedule is, a 7-9 team may be better all around than the 9-7 team, who had the unfair advantage of playing easier teams throughout the season.

Go Falcons!

Last edited by paris-on-ponce; 12-28-2014 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: change a word

Old 12-28-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
If Atlanta wins today, they do belong in the playoffs.
I would disagree. They will get in because that's how things are structured and the division winner hosts a first round playoff game. Does any team with a losing record "belong" in the playoffs? I don't think so, and as I said, it says more about the division than anything. The Falcons are ranked #21 in the NFL. Is that a playoff team? Does a playoff team make the kinds of mistakes and play/coach as poorly as they've done all season?

Quote:
And since we're talking about fairness, it's worth repeating that there's very little difference between a 7-9 team and a 9-7 team. In fact, depending on how difficult a team's schedule is, a 7-9 team may be better all around than the 9-7 team, who had the unfair advantage of playing easier teams throughout the season.
Noticed I put quotes around "fair" in my previous post. As for the difference between a 7-9 and 9-7 team...there is a HUGE difference. TWO WINS. One team has a losing record and one team has a winning record. When you only play a 16 game season, that's a big difference. To put it in context, that's the same as a 20 game difference in MLB. It's the difference between a 70 win team and a 90 win team in MLB. Get it?

Someone once said that good teams find a way to win, even with injuries and even with bad play. They pull out the last min wins. The Falcons have found ways to lose this year. They've only managed to get where they are because they've won out against their crappy division.

Last edited by neil0311; 12-28-2014 at 10:39 AM..

Old 12-28-2014, 03:56 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,033,633 times
Come on Falcons, it's time to start playing!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or