U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 07:56 PM

3 posts, read 2,841 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to relocate to Atlanta March 1, 2014 give or take. I currently reside in San Diego, CA where I have been my whole life and I am not looking for something different, I have never been to ATL but it is definitely somewhere I wouldn't mind relocating to for a while even if it's not long term. I have a few questions if anyone could answer them or just give some overall advice I would be more than grateful. Keep in mind, I am 25 single and no children. I am African American as well with a Bachelors in Communications. I do not have a place of employment there as of yet, but I have saved about 2,500 so far and I will be taking a paid LOA from my current place of employment to allow me to relocate which will still supply an income until otherwise. I will also be driving with my belongings.. Some of my questions would be ..

1. When should you begin filling out applications, sending out resumes before a relocation to be seriously considered?

2. What are some safe places to live for a single woman but still within good distance to the night life? (800$ for rent).

3. How is the dating scene?

Everything else I've pretty much read up on here, so any other advices and must do would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 09:19 PM

6,180 posts, read 5,512,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamaraqm View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to relocate to Atlanta March 1, 2014 give or take. I currently reside in San Diego, CA where I have been my whole life and I am not looking for something different, I have never been to ATL but it is definitely somewhere I wouldn't mind relocating to for a while even if it's not long term. I have a few questions if anyone could answer them or just give some overall advice I would be more than grateful. Keep in mind, I am 25 single and no children. I am African American as well with a Bachelors in Communications. I do not have a place of employment there as of yet, but I have saved about 2,500 so far and I will be taking a paid LOA from my current place of employment to allow me to relocate which will still supply an income until otherwise. I will also be driving with my belongings.. Some of my questions would be ..

1. When should you begin filling out applications, sending out resumes before a relocation to be seriously considered?

2. What are some safe places to live for a single woman but still within good distance to the night life? (800$ for rent).

Everything else I've pretty much read up on here, so any other advices and must do would be great.
Some good advice for someone in your situation who wants to relocate to Atlanta is for you to:

A) Make sure you have a job before moving to Atlanta...so that you won't run the risk of exhausting any savings that you may have looking for a job that may not materialize after moving to a metro area where the job market has been and continues to be somewhat shaky during a somewhat slow economic recovery that continues to be a little slower in Georgia than in most parts of the country, and...

B) Get hired to a job before looking for a place to live...so that you will know where in the geographically expansive Atlanta metro area to look for a place to live so that you will not potentially be stuck with a miserable commute across a very large metro area with a poor multimodal transportation network with limited automobile options and even more limited transit options, and...

C) If possible, it is highly recommended that you first visit the Atlanta area a few times before making such a big commitment to move to a town over 2,100 miles away on the other side of the continent that you have never been to in person.

Atlanta is a great town, but it is not necessarily for everybody and people from other parts of the country like the Northeast, the Great Lakes or California sometimes have a little trouble adjusting to the difference in culture between a traditionally provincial Southeastern state like Georgia and coastal areas like Southern California.

I know that you seem to have a limited income, but if you can, try and first visit Atlanta a few times before finalizing the decision to move here to see if Georgia is someplace that you would really want to move to and to see if Georgia is the place for you for an extended period of time.

Try and look for jobs, interview with potential employers and build a base of professional and social contacts in Georgia before moving there to attempt to try smooth out the rough edges and bumps that any major relocation will undoubtedly bring.

I'm particularly concerned of the culture shock that you may likely experience after moving from a seemingly much more laid-back and socially permissive city in Southern California (San Diego) to the much more socially and culturally conservative and provincial confines of the Southeastern U.S.....A transition that is easy for some and not-so-easy for others.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:38 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,694,618 times
- what's your career field?

California is deep in Atlanta. In April we have an annual California Picnic here so you can meet your fellow Cali natives.

Worry about where you are going to live once you get a job. Kind of like moving to the Redlands and having a job in Santa Monica. It wouldn't make sense.

Dating is cool and dating is all up to you.Do you stay home all the time and expect a dude that is 6'4, with a 6 pack, a 800 credit score with a $190k paying job with good hair and no kids to knock on your door then the answer is you will have a hard time but if you like going out meeting people you will have no problem.

You will love it here especially if you are black. It's sooooooooooooooo much to do here. I recommend setting up a LinkedIn account and start sending out resumes. Contact as many recruiters as possible via linkedin.. Join meetup.com so you can meet people here. Your main issue will be your parents begging you to move back home in a few years. That's the main issue with the people I know personally here. All in all you should definitely move here. Just make you try to get a job first if possible. March will be a great time to move here because once April gets here the city will be on fire every weekend month after month after month. Most blacks that move here from Cali love Atlanta. Most of them wish they could have moved here years ago. I say go for it since you only live once. If all else fails you can always move back. This is a free country and you have the freedom to move whenever you want. Good luck.

Last edited by afdinatl; 12-22-2014 at 09:57 PM..

Old 12-23-2014, 09:41 AM

8,270 posts, read 10,204,708 times
I'd be hesitant to leave any job that is cool enough to give you a paid LOA while you go look for a job somewhere else!!!

Old 12-23-2014, 12:18 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,974,566 times

Jobs are very hard to get in Atlanta. I would not move there without an offer letter in hand. Not only are jobs nearly impossible to get there, employers in Atlanta are known to offer employment then renege, or you can land a job there and be laid off very shortly thereafter with a slim-to-none chance of being able to find another job.

It is also hard to find a job that pays a living wage there if you aren't a professional with an advanced degree working in STEM, a lawyer, or in IT.

Most of the jobs available there are low-wage service jobs, or low-paying temp jobs unless you are specialized in something.

The places that are the most safe that would offer a good social life for a single woman are expensive. If you are willing to live in an old, not-so-nice building, you can find places in your range in those areas. Inbox me for suggestions. Bear in mind that Atlanta has a lot of crime.

Atlanta is a VERY difficult place to date for African-American women. I don't recommend it for dating.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:35 PM

5,169 posts, read 3,444,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post

Jobs are very hard to get in Atlanta. I would not move there without an offer letter in hand. Not only are jobs nearly impossible to get there, employers in Atlanta are known to offer employment then renege, or you can land a job there and be laid off very shortly thereafter with a slim-to-none chance of being able to find another job.

It is also hard to find a job that pays a living wage there if you aren't a professional with an advanced degree working in STEM, a lawyer, or in IT.

Most of the jobs available there are low-wage service jobs, or low-paying temp jobs unless you are specialized in something.

The places that are the most safe that would offer a good social life for a single woman are expensive. If you are willing to live in an old, not-so-nice building, you can find places in your range in those areas. Inbox me for suggestions. Bear in mind that Atlanta has a lot of crime.

Atlanta is a VERY difficult place to date for African-American women. I don't recommend it for dating.
OP, please take all of this with a MASSIVE grain of salt.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
OP, please take all of this with a MASSIVE grain of salt.

This is all first-hand experience and the experiences of countless people I know who relocated to Atlanta. Many have left, others are still there but are trying to leave there. It's a common theme, actually. Some people just can't handle the truth.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:55 PM

5,169 posts, read 3,444,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
This is all first-hand experience and the experiences of countless people I know who relocated to Atlanta. Many have left, others are still there but are trying to leave there. It's a common theme, actually. Some people just can't handle the truth.
Yes, a common theme from malcontents that no longer live here. This is some of the worst advice I have ever seen given, and hardly true for the most part.

She is NOT moving to the Southside of Chicago, but that is the extremely unrealistic picture you paint.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yes, a common theme from malcontents that no longer live here. This is some of the worst advice I have ever seen given, and hardly true for the most part.

She is NOT moving to the Southside of Chicago, but that is the extremely unrealistic picture you paint.
I'm not going to debate with you. People expressing their inability to find work in Atlanta makes them malcontents? Right. I've even met people here in Texas who left Atlanta because they couldn't find work, including, one of my co-workers right next to me here at my current job, in fact.

The Atlatna job market just isn't that great and it hasn't been for a long time. The OP will see for herself when she is getting little to no interviews or calls back about her job applications. If she does, I'd be shocked. But if she does good for her.

Nice attempt at trying to bring up my home town. I was a victim of crime in Atlanta more than once. Nothing ever happened to me on the south side of Chicago.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:52 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,040,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamaraqm View Post
Hey everyone,

All the advice already shared here is dead on, give or take. The only chime in I have is, the JOB SITUATION. Please, please, please, have that, if nothing else, in place before you put even one box or bag in your car and trek across the country with bright eyes and high expectations. Atlanta's a GREAT city, but whatever you do, don't move there financially unprepared; you will be in for a shock. The job market, even for a lot of professionals, is a complete struggle. This is real talk.

I am from there, and will be moving back next year. My only saving is grace is one, I'm a nurse, and can almost find a job just about anywhere; two, I'm doing an internal transfer with my current employer to their Atlanta office.

Job first, (guaranteed) apartment second, social life third. Good luck!

Last edited by No2Monsanto; 12-23-2014 at 03:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta