Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 09:05 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I just chalked it up to life's aggravations. The woman told me she was going to pay for it but she never did, and it turned out the phone number and address she gave were no good.
For future reference, this is why you need a police report on even small fender benders. They would have taken the info off her license and gotten her insurance info for you. Plus if she wasn't insured, they would have gotten yet another scummer off the street by impounding her car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 09:30 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
For future reference, this is why you need a police report on even small fender benders. They would have taken the info off her license and gotten her insurance info for you. Plus if she wasn't insured, they would have gotten yet another scummer off the street by impounding her car.
Well, the address and phone number were from the police report. The insurance policy she listed was expired, too.

The damages were just over $500 so it wasn't worth investing any further time.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Well, the address and phone number were from the police report. The insurance policy she listed was expired, too.

The damages were just over $500 so it wasn't worth investing any further time.
I would have been in contact with the police and had them pursue charges against her. Not doing so allows a deadbeat to remain on the street and a danger to society. What if she seriously injures a pedestrian next time with no insurance? What if it were one of your family members. People like that need to be reported and have their car taken away until they can be responsible.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:49 AM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
I opened this wondering if this was a "See, Georgia Xpress buses really do exist" thread. Kind of a "Grandma got run over by a reindeer" thread.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aciraci View Post
Thanks again for your reply and your good direction.
I just reread your post. You haven't even asked the right agency for reimbursement, so the only person who should be embarrassed is you.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I would have been in contact with the police and had them pursue charges against her. Not doing so allows a deadbeat to remain on the street and a danger to society. What if she seriously injures a pedestrian next time with no insurance? What if it were one of your family members. People like that need to be reported and have their car taken away until they can be responsible.
You have a point.

However, after having invested two or three days and over $500 in this I was tired of fooling with it. I have a feeling the cops probably had bigger fish to fry as well.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:51 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,145,028 times
The best and only approach as far as I am concerned is to simply call the other person's insurance and hve them pay for everything from the beginning. I never pay for deductible or anything bc I let the other ins company fix my car. That is what the other driver's insurance is for.... Why should I pay a deductible or pay for s rental car or inconvenience myself financially in any way, risk my premiums going up, etc? Do ppl not know that the process is to simply call the insurance company of the other driver when you are hit?
Quote:
You had the option to take her to small claims court for the deductible.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
The best and only approach as far as I am concerned is to simply call the other person's insurance and hve them pay for everything from the beginning. I never pay for deductible or anything bc I let the other ins company fix my car. That is what the other driver's insurance is for.... Why should I pay a deductible or pay for s rental car or inconvenience myself financially in any way, risk my premiums going up, etc? Do ppl not know that the process is to simply call the insurance company of the other driver when you are hit?
Unfortunately this person did not have insurance. I called the insurance company listed on the police report but the coverage had been cancelled.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately this person did not have insurance. I called the insurance company listed on the police report but the coverage had been cancelled.
Then you should have filed a police report. Not doing so just perpetuated the message that it's OK to break the law and be a deadbeat.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Then you should have filed a police report. Not doing so just perpetuated the message that it's OK to break the law and be a deadbeat.
Well, you know, at some point one's civic and private duties diverge. I'd already spent considerable time on this -- waiting for the police to come to the accident, obtaining the report, dealing with the insurance companies, making phone calls and writing letters, taking my car to the garage for repairs and picking it up, doing research, etc. In addition I'd already had my car repaired, sold it and bought another one.

There's just a limit to how much one is willing to invest in a minor incident. It was aggravating to be scammed by a deadbeat but it wasn't a life changing event.

If you'd like to pursue it perhaps I can send you the material.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: