U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-28-2015, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,244 posts, read 4,378,940 times
Reputation: 2723

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/29/us...ound.html?_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-28-2015, 12:16 PM
 
28,137 posts, read 24,659,949 times
Reputation: 9534
Good link, tiki.

I'm glad to see the development focusing on normal life rather than another "attraction."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 12:56 PM
 
6,612 posts, read 6,543,265 times
Reputation: 4045
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Good link, tiki.

I'm glad to see the development focusing on normal life rather than another "attraction."
Tourist attractions are always great for Atlanta or any city, but here we need more livable development...especially downtown where they are trying to attract more residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,244 posts, read 4,378,940 times
Reputation: 2723
I keep entertaining the idea to live in South Downtown. A reasonable (Publix, Kroger) grocery store would do a lot to convince me to do so. I like what the area has to offer and I think it has a ton of untapped potential.

But the homeless. There is no way I can live with that on a daily basis. I don't want to sound mean and say outta sight, outta mind, but it leads to a terrible QoL. There is no way I would feel comfortable with my wife walking to the grocery store in an environment like that, hell, I wouldn't feel that comfortable. It looks like the Walking Dead in a large part of South Downtown, and as long as it looks like that, it will make any revitalization at UA or South Downtown much more challenging.

What can be done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 03:12 PM
 
9,915 posts, read 6,901,969 times
Reputation: 3017
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
But the homeless. There is no way I can live with that on a daily basis. I don't want to sound mean and say outta sight, outta mind, but it leads to a terrible QoL. There is no way I would feel comfortable with my wife walking to the grocery store in an environment like that, hell, I wouldn't feel that comfortable. It looks like the Walking Dead in a large part of South Downtown, and as long as it looks like that, it will make any revitalization at UA or South Downtown much more challenging.

What can be done?
Have you been down there recently? I don't know what program or changes have happened, but there definably seem to be less homeless / disheveled people around than I have seen in the past. They are definitely still there, but less than you see in south Midtown or Little 5 (which I feel like has had more recently).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 03:38 PM
 
6,612 posts, read 6,543,265 times
Reputation: 4045
Not sure if this has been shared here or not: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/29/us...ound.html?_r=1

It's a good read from the NYT about bringing back Underground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,244 posts, read 4,378,940 times
Reputation: 2723
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Have you been down there recently? I don't know what program or changes have happened, but there definably seem to be less homeless / disheveled people around than I have seen in the past. They are definitely still there, but less than you see in south Midtown or Little 5 (which I feel like has had more recently).
I take Peachtree St to Whitehall St, then south pretty frequently and it is always chock full of homeless. I want to take care of them, but I couldn't live anywhere near that. I imagine it will get better, but is there a good way to do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top