U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 02:56 PM

28,150 posts, read 24,696,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
It just seems like with the names Uptown, SoNo, YoYo or whatever else that they are just taking names from NYC. Lets develop our own names for neighborhoods
I'm not granting New York (or any city) proprietary rights over simple generic terms like "uptown."

What's next, "downtown," "intown," "east side"? People use that kind of terminology all over the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 03:08 PM

4,228 posts, read 4,124,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Can we please stop using those Yankee words to describe Atlanta. ...

no offense to the fellow Yankee posters
Well Downtown came from NYC, it's meant as the southern end of Manhattan, Which was the CBD other cities adopted the term.

Downtown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How ever in New Orleans Downtown and uptown refers to neighborhoods related to the river. and has nothing to do with the CBD

Downtown New Orleans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Uptown New Orleans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

New York isn't the only city with a soho, London is the original.

Soho - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dallas doesn't have a midtown, Uptown is the urban neighborhoods northeast of Downtown.

Uptown, Dallas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Downtown and Uptown Charlotte is the same place
Charlotte center city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the term Uptown is not popularize in Atlanta but it should mean either buckhead CBD to distinguish from Greater Buckhead. Or West Midtown to distinguish from Midtown CBD. imo

Old 12-24-2014, 08:17 AM

145 posts, read 237,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
Correct. The area is actually called Pershing Point, if I'm not mistaken. I hope that when Dewberry finally gets around to developing the area, that the plans for a Marta infill station are revived. The area is a bit of a hike from the closest station (Arts Center).
I know there are other parts of the city that could use Marta access, but whenever I drive Peachtree from Buckhead Village to Uptown/Midtown, I feel like there should be a subway underneath the road with a stop every six blocks like in Manhattan. I remember Peachtree when it was lined with homes as recently as the 80s, but the density there now and in the future could support another line. If money were no object, I'd like to see a spur from Five Points that would run due north underneath Olympic Park, GA Tech, and Atlantic Station before following the spine of Peachtree. Maybe we can at least get a streetcar to fill in the blanks.

Last edited by cparker73; 12-24-2014 at 09:23 AM..

Old 12-24-2014, 08:24 AM

22,178 posts, read 16,194,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
I know there are other parts of the city that could use Marta access, but whenever I drive Peachtree from Buckhead Village to Uptown/Midtown, I feel like there should be a subway underneath the road with a stop every six blocks like in Manhattan. I remember Peachtree when it was lined with homes as recently as the 80s, but the density there now and in the future could support another line. If money were now object, I'd like to see a spur from Five Points that would run due north underneath Olympic Park, GA Tech, and Atlantic Station before following the spine of Peachtree. Maybe we can at least get a streetcar to fill in the blanks.
The plan is for a streetcar, building a subway line would cause too much disruptions to the businesses.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:16 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,752,284 times
Atlanta doesn't have a defined Uptown, so there is no use in speculating on it. There are enough names for areas as it is.

Btw, "Uptown" is not a "Yankee" term. It's a word in the English language.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The plan is for a streetcar, building a subway line would cause too much disruptions to the businesses.
Yeah, I found a story about the Peachtree streetcar plans that seem to have taken a backseat to all the Beltline development. I just wish that the West Midtown neighborhoods were as connected as the Peachtree spine of Midtown and that Atlantic Station was an actual station.

Atlanta BeltLine buries Peachtree Streetcar to favor other streetcar lines | SaportaReport

Old 12-24-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I found a story about the Peachtree streetcar plans that seem to have taken a backseat to all the Beltline development. I just wish that the West Midtown neighborhoods were as connected as the Peachtree spine of Midtown and that Atlantic Station was an actual station.

Atlanta BeltLine buries Peachtree Streetcar to favor other streetcar lines | SaportaReport
Kind of duplicate service. Also, that corridor is served by the 110, which does an excellent job of serving the current ridership.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:17 AM

446 posts, read 506,333 times
Way back in the day before any of us was born they had an area called uptown in atlanta and other neighborhoods that was once in atlanta

Old 12-24-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Kind of duplicate service. Also, that corridor is served by the 110, which does an excellent job of serving the current ridership.
I have to admit I'm the type of person who doesn't give bus service (at least in Atlanta) any thought. I played too many hours of SimCity in college building subways everywhere. I like my mass transit to be separated from regular street traffic, which, unfortunately the streetcar downtown isn't set up that way.

Old 12-24-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I have to admit I'm the type of person who doesn't give bus service (at least in Atlanta) any thought. I played too many hours of SimCity in college building subways everywhere. I like my mass transit to be separated from regular street traffic, which, unfortunately the streetcar downtown isn't set up that way.
Thank you for proving my point about demand riders in atlanta and the stigma against buses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or