U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 05:01 PM

913 posts, read 986,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Death to all surface parking lots in the core.
Then everyone will be complaining about the 20$ parking everywhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 05:45 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,269,170 times
I am a native Atlantan and have always thought of the Lenox Square area as Uptown. Really anything north of the Amtrack station from Brookwood to Brookhaven. The Buckhead- Uptown Connector (BUC) was what the transport bus between Lenox Square Phipps Plaza and the Marta Stations was called. I have even heard it said that Buckhead is a residential district and Uptown refers to the business district especially along Peachree from Piedmont to Lenox Roads. My mother, another Atlantan that grew up in" southwest Atlanta in the 40's and 50's even referred to the Lenox area as "uptown". Matter of semantics really; many sububanites consider the entire spine of Peachree "downtown".

Old 12-26-2014, 07:12 PM

22,235 posts, read 16,276,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
Most marta stations have free daily parking. Drivers should also pay the 'real' price of parking.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:26 PM

5,446 posts, read 4,941,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
I am a native Atlantan and have always thought of the Lenox Square area as Uptown. Really anything north of the Amtrack station from Brookwood to Brookhaven. The Buckhead- Uptown Connector (BUC) was what the transport bus between Lenox Square Phipps Plaza and the Marta Stations was called. I have even heard it said that Buckhead is a residential district and Uptown refers to the business district especially along Peachree from Piedmont to Lenox Roads. My mother, another Atlantan that grew up in" southwest Atlanta in the 40's and 50's even referred to the Lenox area as "uptown". Matter of semantics really; many sububanites consider the entire spine of Peachree "downtown".
These are some excellent points.

A district like Atlanta's Buckhead would be called Uptown in many major cities as Atlanta's version of Uptown seems to be Buckhead. Atlanta basically already has its Uptown district, it's called "Buckhead".

In regards to the OP's question of basically whether Peachtree would continue to be built up with higher-rise high-density development through most stretches between Midtown and the Buckhead Superblock....I think that it is highly probable that Peachtree will continue to be built upwards to varying degrees over the next 25 years or so, particularly as high-density Intown and urban living seemingly continue to gain in popularity in the 21st Century.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:40 PM

3,976 posts, read 4,584,381 times
in regards to the definition of "uptown", i don't believe that atlanta has one. i never heard the term until i went to other cities. someone put up a sign denoting the area north of 14th (or 15th) as "uptown" a few years ago, but i have always heard that area referred to as either pershing point or midtown.

as for buckhead, i don't think it qualifies as an "uptown". first of all, it encompasses about 100 different neighbourhoods, and secondly, the central business district is simply too far away from midtown to be called such— it is nearly six miles away.

buckhead is the only thing we have to compare to a "borough" in the NY sense, but we don't have to call it a borough... there is no reason we should have an uptown simply because other cities do, likewise, we don't have to have boroughs because NYC does.

when it comes to high rise development along peachtree, i think it's very likely that virtually all of the shopping centres along peachtree will be torn down and converted to high rises in the future. it's already happening.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:44 AM

5,446 posts, read 4,941,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
in regards to the definition of "uptown", i don't believe that atlanta has one. i never heard the term until i went to other cities. someone put up a sign denoting the area north of 14th (or 15th) as "uptown" a few years ago, but i have always heard that area referred to as either pershing point or midtown.

as for buckhead, i don't think it qualifies as an "uptown". first of all, it encompasses about 100 different neighbourhoods, and secondly, the central business district is simply too far away from midtown to be called such— it is nearly six miles away.

buckhead is the only thing we have to compare to a "borough" in the NY sense, but we don't have to call it a borough... there is no reason we should have an uptown simply because other cities do, likewise, we don't have to have boroughs because NYC does.

when it comes to high rise development along peachtree, i think it's very likely that virtually all of the shopping centres along peachtree will be torn down and converted to high rises in the future. it's already happening.
These are some excellent points, bryant.

Though, the term "Uptown" has not only had a geographical meaning but has also sometimes had a socioeconomic meaning as in meaning the part of a larger city where affluent people live and/or congregate.....Like in the song "Uptown Girl" from the early 1980's where Billy Joel sings about a working-class blue-collar guy who's in an unlikely relationship with a woman from an affluent/white-collar background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCuMWrfXG4E

Even though the central business district of Buckhead is about between 4-6 miles from Midtown, the fact that Buckhead is a major district that encompasses a relatively large area of wealthy and affluent business and residential interests with a major upscale business and retail district that is basically the first one north of Midtown, likely qualifies it to be considered to be Atlanta's "Uptown" district.

The term "Uptown" does not always just apply to a district that's immediately north of Midtown in just a geographical sense, but can also apply to a district that is upscale and/or upwardly mobile in nature.

Atlanta seems to have its "Uptown" type district in the form of a dominant major business, retail and residential district north of Midtown (both in terms of geography and wealth/affluence) with the unique name of "Buckhead".

If Atlanta had a district named "Uptown", Buckhead would most likely be it.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:04 AM

913 posts, read 986,851 times
[quote=cqholt;37779937]Most marta stations have free daily parking. Drivers should also pay the 'real' price of parking.[/QUOTE

Have you actually hang out in the areas where it is all pay garages?

Old 12-27-2014, 11:37 AM

28,189 posts, read 24,793,101 times
Quote:
Have you actually hang out in the areas where it is all pay garages?
If you don't whack the drivers how are you going to get them to ride the bus?

Old 12-27-2014, 02:33 PM

743 posts, read 654,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Death to all surface parking lots in the core.
Amen!

Quote:
Sooner or later, they'll have to get over the expectation of cheap and easy parking in the core

Old 12-27-2014, 02:38 PM

9,590 posts, read 8,684,227 times
The surface lots will go when a developer believes in the location enough to buy the land. Surface lots aren't there for parking. They are there because of real estate speculation. I'd rather the owner hang on until someone serious wants to build a really good project than for something willy nilly be built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or