U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-24-2014, 11:54 AM
 
4,980 posts, read 5,743,435 times
Reputation: 2958

Advertisements

Quote:
It doesn't falsely say anything of the sort. What you are insinuating is suspect tho. So are you saying that Georgians are popping out babies at a vastly greater rate than other areas? Got any statistics to back that up?
Calm down. I think that you need to reread what I wrote. I'm saying that in general people don't take into account natural change when it comes to population change. It's the significant part of population change.
People forget that people are born and that people die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-24-2014, 12:28 PM
 
515 posts, read 463,562 times
Reputation: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
Georgia's 102,000 number means that metro Atlanta's growth will likely be approaching the 100,000 number again after several years of slower pace. Last year, Atlanta's growth accounted for 68,000 of Georgia's 76,000 numerical estimate growth.
I don't think that out of 102,000 new people, 100,000 of them would have been in the Atlanta metro. That would mean a little over 2,000 to split between Georgia 2nd tier metros, which generally grow faster than 2,000 per year each, let alone to split between the 4 of them. That would mean that they gained around 500 within a year, which looking at past growth patterns, I find pretty hard to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2014, 12:36 PM
 
Location: atlanta
3,962 posts, read 4,555,055 times
Reputation: 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Calm down. I think that you need to reread what I wrote. I'm saying that in general people don't take into account natural change when it comes to population change. It's the significant part of population change.
People forget that people are born and that people die.
someone pointed that out to me the last time this subject was brought up; i thought they were full of it. turns out, about 60% of population growth is births. only when we see a big migration of people moving in do we see that percentage become less of a factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2014, 12:44 PM
 
Location: atlanta
3,962 posts, read 4,555,055 times
Reputation: 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnd33 View Post
I don't think that out of 102,000 new people, 100,000 of them would have been in the Atlanta metro. That would mean a little over 2,000 to split between Georgia 2nd tier metros, which generally grow faster than 2,000 per year each, let alone to split between the 4 of them. That would mean that they gained around 500 within a year, which looking at past growth patterns, I find pretty hard to believe.
he said it was approaching 100,000. the year before, it looks like 90% of georgia's growth was the atlanta metro. if that is still the case, that would mean 91,000 of the 102,000 figure would be new atlanta residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2014, 05:10 PM
 
Location: N.C. for now... Atlanta future
1,241 posts, read 983,086 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
he said it was approaching 100,000. the year before, it looks like 90% of georgia's growth was the atlanta metro. if that is still the case, that would mean 91,000 of the 102,000 figure would be new atlanta residents.
Thank you. At least someone actually read it.

Last year's census estimate had Georgia growing 76,000, with Atlanta area 68,000 of it. Remember this is YEARLY growth and some of Georgia's MSA's are partly in Alabama and SC. The other higher growth areas of GA aren't big enough to account for much numerical growth. For example, Valdosta's MSA added only 3,000 for the past three years despite the city growing 25% between 2000 and 2010. Columbus and Muscogee county have seen growth with a gain of 13,000 since 2010. Savannah's MSA has grown by about 14,000 since 2010. Augusta and Richmond county are slow growing with only a gain of 1,000. Macon city and MSA are losing people, going from 232,000 to 231,000. Only Warner-Robins is growing within that CSA. Dalton and Whitfield county have slowed to a crawl, adding only 300 people since 2010. Albany's MSA has DECLINED from 157,308 to 155,694 since 2010. It's a shame there is so little growth in the rest of the state.

Last edited by AtlantaIsHot; 12-24-2014 at 06:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2014, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,147 posts, read 16,147,338 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
Thank you. At least someone actually read it.

Last year's census estimate had Georgia growing 76,000, with Atlanta area 68,000 of it. Remember this is YEARLY growth and some of Georgia's MSA's are partly in Alabama and SC. The other higher growth areas of GA aren't big enough to account for much numerical growth. For example, Valdosta's MSA added only 3,000 for the past three years despite the city growing 25% between 2000 and 2010. Columbus and Muscogee county have seen growth with a gain of 13,000 since 2010. Savannah's MSA has grown by only about 14,000 since 2010. Augusta and Richmond county are slow growing with only a gain of 1,000. Macon city and MSA are losing people, going from 232,000 to 231,000. Only Warner-Robins is growing within that CSA. Dalton and Whitfield county have slowed to a crawl, adding only 300 people since 2010. Albany's MSA has DECLINED from 157,308 to 155,694 since 2010. It's a shame there is so little growth in the rest of the state.
A blame the good ole boy politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2014, 07:18 PM
 
Location: atlanta
3,962 posts, read 4,555,055 times
Reputation: 3211
i don't blame the good old boy politics for that in particular; i think it's just the luck of the draw. atlanta is the largest city in the emerging piedmont megalopolis, and the cities in georgia outside that corridor just haven't been able to compete. upgrading the freight and transit rail network in georgia might be able to mitigate that effect by making it possible for companies (and jobs) to locate elsewhere in georgia with atlanta as the hub, but i don't think you can pin that entirely on the republicansó even in blue states they have had a hard time raising the funds for rail projectsó but at least they are making an effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2014, 07:32 PM
 
2,126 posts, read 1,034,292 times
Reputation: 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
By concentrating that new growth around existing transit stations and planned transit line, eg: beltline, atlanta can grow smart.
That is my hope!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2014, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,844 posts, read 14,516,197 times
Reputation: 3484
I'll make a non-scientific observation, that with the exception of California, all of the states listed as having the largest growth have no income tax or relatively low taxation. 7 out of 10 also have Republican Governors. Total coincidence...possibly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2014, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,147 posts, read 16,147,338 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I'll make a non-scientific observation, that with the exception of California, all of the states listed as having the largest growth have no income tax or relatively low taxation. 7 out of 10 also have Republican Governors. Total coincidence...possibly.
They have other main industry to tax and generate money. Texas has oil, florida has tourism, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top