Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 01:58 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,100,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
Thank you. At least someone actually read it.

Last year's census estimate had Georgia growing 76,000, with Atlanta area 68,000 of it. Remember this is YEARLY growth and some of Georgia's MSA's are partly in Alabama and SC. The other higher growth areas of GA aren't big enough to account for much numerical growth. For example, Valdosta's MSA added only 3,000 for the past three years despite the city growing 25% between 2000 and 2010. Columbus and Muscogee county have seen growth with a gain of 13,000 since 2010. Savannah's MSA has grown by about 14,000 since 2010. Augusta and Richmond county are slow growing with only a gain of 1,000. Macon city and MSA are losing people, going from 232,000 to 231,000. Only Warner-Robins is growing within that CSA. Dalton and Whitfield county have slowed to a crawl, adding only 300 people since 2010. Albany's MSA has DECLINED from 157,308 to 155,694 since 2010. It's a shame there is so little growth in the rest of the state.
The recent growth rate of Augusta(2010-2013) is kinda hard to judge. The 2010 census was changed from 556,887 to 564,873....

The estimate was 580,270 in 2013..
580,270-556,877= 23,393
580,270-564,873= 15,397

I don't think you have to worry about Augusta growing with the Cyber Command coming. It will result in the same kind of dramatic growth change similar to Columbus between 2010-2013 which grew based on the US Army BRAC.

Last edited by nortonguy; 12-28-2014 at 02:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 03:53 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
The recent growth rate of Augusta(2010-2013) is kinda hard to judge. The 2010 census was changed from 556,887 to 564,873....

The estimate was 580,270 in 2013..
580,270-556,877= 23,393
580,270-564,873= 15,397

I don't think you have to worry about Augusta growing with the Cyber Command coming. It will result in the same kind of dramatic growth change similar to Columbus between 2010-2013 which grew based on the US Army BRAC.
I'm not worried. I don't really care that much. I was stating available data. It is generally true that estimates follow establish-able trends. I meant no disparagement of Augusta. It's MSA is growing, but not by much in the grand scheme of things. It appears Columbia county and Aiken county are the fastest growers. It will take a lot of job creation to cause a significant pick-up. Atlanta constitutes constitutes 75-90% or better of Georgia's growth. None of the other metros are big enough nor are they adding enough people to really change that anytime soon. That's really the gist of the results.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:35 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times
Yeah, it's pretty sad to see essentially all the resources are funneled into the Atlanta metro. That
s where you'll find almost all of the state's wealth, higher end jobs, and development. When one metro is getting 90% of the state's growth, something is wrong.

It's Atlanta and then Georgia. That's it. No other city except maybe Savannah just for it's historic core are even relevant on a national level, maybe even a regional level lol.

Compare it to NC which is far more balanced between 2 or 3 metros, though none of the metros are very large, both Charlotte and the Triangle area are getting their share of development, growth, and jobs and Charlotte's city limits are the fastest growing in the country and large cities.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:41 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Yeah, it's pretty sad to see essentially all the resources are funneled into the Atlanta metro. That
s where you'll find almost all of the state's wealth, higher end jobs, and development. When one metro is getting 90% of the state's growth, something is wrong.

It's Atlanta and then Georgia. That's it. No other city except maybe Savannah just for it's historic core are even relevant on a national level, maybe even a regional level lol.

Compare it to NC which is far more balanced between 2 or 3 metros, though none of the metros are very large, both Charlotte and the Triangle area are getting their share of development, growth, and jobs and Charlotte's city limits are the fastest growing in the country and large cities.
That has always been a false assumption of many people in Georgia's rural population.

The Atlanta region actually gets less than what it pays into the state. It is Atlanta that is subsidizing the state, not the opposite.

The reason Atlanta does so well is its role as a natural regional transportation hub. It is a highly valuable feature that can't easily be exported throughout the state, rather it is all growing from that point. Geographic position is key. It is truly a regional hub in the Southeast and Georgia is lucky enough to have ended up with it.

It should also be noted that Augusta, in particular, has been doing fairly well the last decade or two, largely from its prominence in the health science fields.

The other odd issue Georgia is facing is we have one of the countries largest rural populations. The jobs sustained in these areas are economically out-dated. So it isn't that Atlanta is taking 90% of Georgia's growth. It is that there are a series of cities growing and a series of rural regions declining or just stagnating. This is affecting cities that don't have a strong economy on their own and are more of a regional city for rural populations. Macon and Albany come to mind. We also have a declining carpet industry in Northwest Georgia with cultural trends changing against them.

I did find one rather odd statistic I didn't expect.

The difference between Domestic migration and international migration. International migration is normally larger for the largest cities. For smaller metros it is normally much stronger domestic migration.

However Athens stood out as an oddball. From 2010 to 2013 Athens international migration was 1,300 people and for domestic migration it was 700 people. Does anyone know what the cause of this is? Not even the presence of a large university would explain this alone.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:10 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,934,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I did find one rather odd statistic I didn't expect.

The difference between Domestic migration and international migration. International migration is normally larger for the largest cities. For smaller metros it is normally much stronger domestic migration.

However Athens stood out as an oddball. From 2010 to 2013 Athens international migration was 1,300 people and for domestic migration it was 700 people. Does anyone know what the cause of this is? Not even the presence of a large university would explain this alone.
I still think it's mainly UGA. I don't know how exactly the statistics are measured or calculated but universities have large amounts of international students. I know Texas A&M did. Mainly as grad students and researchers. I don't know how exactly them living here works, temporary visa or what, but I imagine it involves more official migration than domestic students that still officially live at their parents house in state or out of state. I had a temporary address in Texas but I still had a GA driver's license, car tag, insurance, etc. I never officially moved. Other than that I would have no idea unless there's enough immigration from latin America for chicken plants, although I thought Gainesville was more of the poultry center.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I still think it's mainly UGA. I don't know how exactly the statistics are measured or calculated but universities have large amounts of international students. I know Texas A&M did. Mainly as grad students and researchers. I don't know how exactly them living here works, temporary visa or what, but I imagine it involves more official migration than domestic students that still officially live at their parents house in state or out of state. I had a temporary address in Texas but I still had a GA driver's license, car tag, insurance, etc. I never officially moved. Other than that I would have no idea unless there's enough immigration from latin America for chicken plants, although I thought Gainesville was more of the poultry center.
I went to graduate school at UGA and there are many international students...

But that is just the thing. This is the measure of the net change. For some cities this is a negative number.

So that is a net change of 1300. So there are international students coming and going and they can be counted, but it is still a net change of 1300 more than would have existed 3 years prior. That is where my confusion comes from.

As for Poultry... there isn't much of that in Athens.

Gainesville has a small financing industry specializing in the poultry industry and many processing plants, but the actual chicken coups are scattered all over north Georgia and parts of Tennessee, South Carolina, and North Carolina. Gainesville's international migration over the same period was only 800 and it is a comparably sized MSA.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:49 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,842 times
that's not necessarily true, a lot of previous migration created the demographics where we have a large positive natural change.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
that's not necessarily true, a lot of previous migration created the demographics where we have a large positive natural change.
theres 47 posts in this thread....

Whats not necessarily true...

Old 12-30-2014, 07:24 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post

How is it any different than Chicago,Boston,St.Louis,Denver,New Orleans,etc...?All those cities in states with no larger metro.

Its not like these Georgia secondary cities are dying.
Savannah is on the verge of exploding because of its port.

Augusta after securing a major NSA division just got CyberCommand Headquarters at Ft.Gordon.
Not to mention its vibrant healthcare sector and its major growth of the medical college.
All high paying jobs.If you went to Augusta you woiuld see towns of construction and growth everywhere.

Columbus has TYSYS,Ft.Benning and Aflac.

These metros are smaller but they pack more above there weight.

Atlanta is a region.Almost like a city-state. You can fit almost 3 of the largest mtros of North Carolina and ii still would not add up to the population and wealth of Atlanta.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:02 AM

105 posts, read 149,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
How is it any different than Chicago,Boston,St.Louis,Denver,New Orleans,etc...?All those cities in states with no larger metro.

Its not like these Georgia secondary cities are dying.
Savannah is on the verge of exploding because of its port.

Augusta after securing a major NSA division just got CyberCommand Headquarters at Ft.Gordon.
Not to mention its vibrant healthcare sector and its major growth of the medical college.
All high paying jobs.If you went to Augusta you woiuld see towns of construction and growth everywhere.

Columbus has TYSYS,Ft.Benning and Aflac.

These metros are smaller but they pack more above there weight.

Atlanta is a region.Almost like a city-state. You can fit almost 3 of the largest mtros of North Carolina and ii still would not add up to the population and wealth of Atlanta.
Would nice to see a new interstate built west of Macon. That would provide a direct route to Columbus, Montgomery, Birmingham, and points further west. Definitely would be a benefit with the port expansion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta