Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 10:58 AM

117 posts, read 618,148 times

Advertisements

I think South Dekalb suffers from the Ok, bit of crime, but also peoples lack of faith in the Businesses, police, etc.

The service sector as far as options, choices, etc. sucks.
It pales in comparison to areas like Kennesaw, Mableton, Duluth, North Fulton or pretty much anywhere else in the metro. More corporate companies move out and less open up shop down there.

I remember like 15 years ago when South Dekalb mall would have all kinds of radio ads on V103 and memorial drive in stn mtn was a thriving place.

But this not the case anymore, businsess have left both areas over time and things have gotten worse...so it is just not an attractive area.

Ok drugs are everywhere in ATL, but have hotbeds in south Dekalb...I really can go on as I still frequent places like the China Cafeteria in the area.

They have great braised wings. LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 07:50 AM

55 posts, read 283,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Many people in history have been "smart" but that doesn't mean their contributions were positive ones. Al Sharpton made his name with the Tawana Brawley case which turned out to be nonesense. He's always been a race bater and jumps in the middle of any fight where he can get his name in the paper and on camera. He's not interested in true racial harmony because that would put him out of business. He's a professional "civil rights advocate".

I know I'm going out on a limb, but I think that Dr. King, who was truly a man of greatness, would look at someone like Al Sharpton and see him for who he is, a man just trying to turn a buck on the back of an important cause.
I follow your logic, although I think it's a bit superficial and edgy. Sharpton's history is deeper than what's projected. The irony here is we may too often believe what we see and read---failing to remember that's all about the $ as well. Ever watch the "news"...or read the "paper".

Particularly, "Faux News"....

Old 09-26-2008, 03:26 PM

71 posts, read 204,925 times
I only skimmed this article so I'm sorry if I'm repeating someone elses sentiments...

North Dekalb Mall is a piece of crap.
South Dekalb Mall is a piece of crap that you can get shot at.
Big difference.

South Dekalb is a hole, with the exception of some of the subdivisions closer to i-20. But I get a ton of calls from scared white and black people alike, that live in those areas. Their looking for security systems and cctv. My company once did a single home in one of those divisions and ended up working with just about the entire neighborhood because about 50% of the homes there were burglarized within maybe 10 months time.

The best way to summarize the attitude of the poor blacks that live in down there.. they will steal your wallet then help you look for it.
Generally nice people, but will rip you off all the same.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:34 PM

71 posts, read 204,925 times
Also...
Club Crunk is now CLUB ICE!!!!
Things are looking up for S. Dekalb.

White people that live north of memorial want places like that to burn.
(They don't know what Crunk is, nor do they care)

Old 09-26-2008, 03:45 PM

826 posts, read 3,110,138 times
I don't know much about South Dekalb. I did go to South Dekalb mall once, and will never be returning. What part of South Dekalb is middle class? I will admit the county borders confused me sometimes. Sometimes I watch my husband hit balls at the driving range at Sugar Creek Gold Course. Is that South Dekalb? Because the people who are at the course seem nice enough.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:46 PM

293 posts, read 1,102,540 times
There is a South DeKalb per say, further down Brown's Mill Road and closer to Henry County, areas near Ellenwood and McDonough, that have fairly decent neighborhoods and middle class blacks. I know people that live in that vacinity and it's pretty nice (further down Snapfinger Road). Anything near I-20 or South DeKalb Mall (from Flat Shoals Road to about Wesley Chapel, and certain areas of Panola Road) are not so great.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:23 PM

235 posts, read 834,759 times
These comments sound very familiar to those of Clayton County (except for the school accreditation reason).

I am very familiar with DeKalb County and the higher crime rates are more concentrated in the southern part of the county.

Think about it, the areas with higher crime rates get more complaints and that goes for many areas of Atlanta, especially for a significant area within the City of Atlanta as well.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:33 PM

2,431 posts, read 3,813,508 times
Default Relevant Repost (Part 1)

Once upon a time, the corner of Covington Hwy and Panola Rd. was a hub of economic commerce. There was a thriving movie theater, a grocery store, a video game arcade, various small restaurants, a drug store, a reputable music store, etc. Now it contains a Big Lots, a liquor store, an abandoned theater, a lingerie store, a cleaners, a few small restaurants, and a Dekalb County Police Dept. mini-station.

Similarly, the corner of Wesley Chapel (once called “Decatur’s Best Kept Secret”) and N. Hairston used to bustle with at least 10 different businesses with Wal-Mart as the plaza’s hub. Now, there are none. Except for a drug store, I think. The shell of the plaza is now nothing more than an empty eyesore.

What happened? More importantly, how can this be fixed? What can be done to convince real business to invest in South Dekalb County besides the Stonecrest Mall area? With the influx of residents moving closer to the city and markedly farther from the city, without economic development, the nearer suburbs along the I-285 corridor are left to suffer and become havens of suburban blight. Think about Glenwood from I-285 to Covington Hwy. Think about Covington Hwy from I-285 to Panola Rd. Think about Wesley Chapel from I-20 to N. Hairston and to Snapfinger Rd. What happened to the plans outlined in the following link?

ULI - the Urban Land Institute | A Green Light for Wesley Chapel? (http://www.uli.org/AM/PrinterTemplate.cfm?Section=Home&CONTENTID=29416&T EMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm - broken link)

My wife and I often travel into the city for basic needs and recreation. We drive from the Lithonia/Decatur area all the way to Briarcliff or Ponce De Leon to get groceries from the Whole Foods Market. We have to go all the way to Moreland Ave. to go to Barnes and Noble. The closest natural food store is Rainbow on N. Decatur Rd.; otherwise, we have to travel to Sevananda on Moreland Ave, or Return To Eden on Cheshire Bridge Rd. When we want to go to a nice, moderately priced (non-chain) restaurant, the nearest decent places are in Downtown Decatur. We have to travel 15 to 20 miles just to get to a Moe’s, or a Willy’s.

Is it that investors don’t think minorities would frequent a Whole Foods? It is important to note that pockets of South Dekalb County are the second most affluent African-American populations in the United States. Why not take advantage of this untapped demographic. Do investors (even minority investors) think that all minorities want is Hot Wing Stands, Beauty Supply stores, and Fast Food restaurants? Look at the success of the small plaza just south of Panola Rd. and I-20 with the Kinko’s, Starbucks, and Bank of America. Collections of “mom-and-pop” stores don’t increase property value nor provide employment opportunities. The only business of the kind that has been successful is “Davido’s 3.75 Pizza” and “This Is It” (both are either fast food or "soul food" market toward the black community). Many other small businesses end up becoming eyesores unless there is a central hub anchoring the smaller businesses (and attracting more customers).

Imagine if the Wesley Chapel/N, Hairston intersection contained a live/work/play community like the Edgewood Retail District on Caroline St. Imagine if the corner of Panola and Covington had a Whole Foods Market with space for successful preexisting businesses (like Davido’s Pizza and the Subway). Imagine if there was a Barnes and Noble live/work/play/community on Covington Hwy between Panola Rd and I-285. Think about all the people they would employ. Think about how it would greatly boast the area’s economy. If you build it, they definitely will come.

Whether you live in the area or not, please offer suggestions, ideas, and/or assistance in implementing these ideas and improving the economic development and quality of life in these abandoned areas of the eastside of Atlanta. If it worked in the blighted areas of inner city Atlanta, why can’t it work in Dekalb County OTP also?

Old 09-30-2008, 06:35 PM

2,431 posts, read 3,813,508 times
Default Relevant Repost (Part 2)

I totally agree with both alfonega1 and Huey P. The reason why I posted this thread is because when I log onto this site, I read about how great Kirkwood, East Atlanta, Oakhurst, Candler Park etc. is. (And I agree.) However, I also hear about the petty crime. Locking your doors, security systems, dogs, bums, crackheads, vagrants, break-ins, and the vigilance of the community. When I ride through these areas, while I like the charm, there is a fair amount of litter and such. Also, there are a number of vagrants, bums, and homeless. However, they are still touted as “the best places to be” and understandably so…

But in areas like 30058, there are virtually NO bums, homeless, or addicts roaming the streets. The litter is on par with any of the areas I previously mentioned with the exception of L5P (which has far more). I’ve lived for years with no security system or dog and I’ve left value merchandise in my car (not that that’s a smart thing to do anywhere) but nothing has happened. I even ordered the crime stats from Dekalb PD and APD only to find that the crime in these intown communities far outweighs that of unincorporated Lithonia. Yet on the site, people proclaim that Panola Rd north of I-20 is a crime-riddled haven for illegal activity that all should avoid and it is simply not the case.

The only major difference as far as I can tell (besides the abundance of 1960’s 1970’s and 1980’s (non-historic) homes, and a lack of trendy boutiques and stores, and a farther proximity to the city) is the fact that it has a predominantly African–American population filled with children and teens. I just assumed that people associated Blacks with dirt and crime and the gentrifying White areas with clean safety when the biggest disturbances I remember having in this old working class neighborhood off Marbut Rd. in years was kids playing basketball in the street. The occasional car passing blaring loud music and seeing the youngsters sag their pants (which I know is an eyesore). Yet our property values are low, businesses do not invest, and diverse populations don’t move here because of this stigma that it is a war zone, and that is completely false. In fact, it is a lot safer than all the intown communities I just mentioned.

What can be done about this stigma that Lithonia has and the “prejudice” that many of the posters have? Anything?

Old 09-30-2008, 08:08 PM

13 posts, read 22,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
I read about how great Kirkwood, East Atlanta, Oakhurst, Candler Park etc. is. (And I agree.) However, I also hear about the petty crime.
East Atlanta, Kirkwood, and Oakhurst all have a very large black percentage, and it is definately no below 50% in those areas.

People are attracted to them because they are urban, walkable, historic, and victorian, and have quaint little downtowns.

Petty crime is the price you pay to live in a hip, up and coming, Urban and walkable community.

Suburban South Dekalb has none of these attractive "intown qualities". Its a run down mass of low income housing, crime ridden apartments, and abaondoned strip malls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta