Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 04:47 PM

49 posts, read 232,454 times

Advertisements

I've been on here for a while and I see so many people telling potential residents of metro atl to stay away from south dekalb. Why do so many of you hate this side of town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 04:50 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,511,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadb View Post
I've been on here for a while and I see so many people telling potential residents of metro atl to stay away from south dekalb. Why do so many of you hate this side of town?
It's simple...good ol' fashion racism.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:56 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,259,011 times
Yep..that's what it is...there are a lot of brown people, working class brown people, in south Dekalb...and lots of white faces who have never ventured down there are the ones who really lean on the perception that if there is a lot of brown then it must be poor and crime-ridden. But, I work for the government as a contractor and I work with a lot of brown faces and many of them live in south Dekalb.

Now, there are blighted areas in south Dekalb. The thing is, there aren't any gentrified areas (YET!) to counter the areas of blight. There are some nice, regular, middle class neighborhoods.

Eventually, gentrification will reach there, too, as millions of people move back into the city to lessen the commute, especially as gas prices rise.

*please excuse the excessive use of "brown faces" as I was trying to paint a specific sardonic picture*

Old 01-05-2008, 05:27 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,878,501 times
And of course you have the reality, that South Dekalb has a high crime rate, and crime has no color. It's just there.

There are people who will look in-between every media report, every opinion, and every warning as a sign of "racism" because since birth they've been pumped with the idea that everyone is out to "get them" and that everyone who isn't black (or brown) is a racist on some level, but the truth is that not every neighborhood in Atlanta is Mayberry USA. The South Dekalb area in recent years has experienced an increase in certain crimes. Not every neighborhood as Decatur is attracting a full range of new residents and housing, but as a whole South Dekalb is considered "debatable" if what you're looking for is a low crime area. Ask any cop.. those who actually see it.

Of course, since it has a large black community, then some people will say that folks make all of this up simply due to racism. In fact, if you read the boards about certain suburban areas or read the general Georgia board, you will find warnings about a number of areas that have large white communities, or large hispanic communities as well. Of course, no one accuses anyone of racism when they warn about those areas, though.

So if you want to stick to the facts, the fact is that South Dekalb is not the most crime ridden area in Atlanta, nor is it the safest. Some of the neighborhoods are nicer than others, and others need to be cleaned up. I don't think I've ever read anyone on the board saying they "hate" it, just that some people - white AND black - avoid living there and prefer areas that at least have the perception of being safer or more convenient.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 01-05-2008 at 05:37 PM..

Old 01-05-2008, 05:32 PM

The main thing is that it's not a wealthy area. Even the nicer areas are solid middle class. So, there's not enough tax dollars to pay for crime prevention the way the wealthier areas are.

Like I said...instead of having a mix of really nice, solid middle class, working poor, along with blight you only have some middle class, working poor, and blight. There's just not enough money there to fight crime. It's an underserved community.

But the only way to change that is for good folk to move in. Choose wisely and you can probably find a close-knit active community there.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:06 PM

401 posts, read 1,732,813 times
Pless - South Dekalb has just as much money as north DeKalb... it is all DeKalb County so they all share from the same pot of tax dollars. There are actually more cops working the south side than the north side (I know this b/c my brother is a cop in DeKalb).

It is not a race issue - it is a numbers issue - there are a lot of crimes in South DeKalb.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:08 PM

719 posts, read 1,332,490 times
South Dekalb is the ghetto basically

Old 01-06-2008, 09:01 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,550,882 times
South Dekalb mall has mall shootings. 2 in three weeks sometimes.

The stores inside suck. I don't even go there to shop.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:23 PM

I know it's all Dekalb County but they certainly don't allocate taxes evenly. North Dekalb is wealthy and south Dekalb is poor. I know we have a lot of police presence in my neighborhood, some of it paid by the neighborhood organizations...less affluent residents don't have that.

Fact of the matter is, it's "more poor" down there. Where there is more poverty and strife there is more crime.

However, as I said, I have some friends and colleagues who live down there and they do fine so I know you can find a good place to live there. The only way to improve the community is for good people to move there.

It's only a matter of time. Candler Park was considered the hood by many back in the 80s. Now look at it.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:57 PM

49 posts, read 232,454 times
Default I still don't understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
And of course you have the reality, that South Dekalb has a high crime rate, and crime has no color. It's just there.

There are people who will look in-between every media report, every opinion, and every warning as a sign of "racism" because since birth they've been pumped with the idea that everyone is out to "get them" and that everyone who isn't black (or brown) is a racist on some level, but the truth is that not every neighborhood in Atlanta is Mayberry USA. The South Dekalb area in recent years has experienced an increase in certain crimes. Not every neighborhood as Decatur is attracting a full range of new residents and housing, but as a whole South Dekalb is considered "debatable" if what you're looking for is a low crime area. Ask any cop.. those who actually see it.

Of course, since it has a large black community, then some people will say that folks make all of this up simply due to racism. In fact, if you read the boards about certain suburban areas or read the general Georgia board, you will find warnings about a number of areas that have large white communities, or large hispanic communities as well. Of course, no one accuses anyone of racism when they warn about those areas, though.

So if you want to stick to the facts, the fact is that South Dekalb is not the most crime ridden area in Atlanta, nor is it the safest. Some of the neighborhoods are nicer than others, and others need to be cleaned up. I don't think I've ever read anyone on the board saying they "hate" it, just that some people - white AND black - avoid living there and prefer areas that at least have the perception of being safer or more convenient.
I really want to see the statistics because I don't see the high crime rates going on. I live off of Candler Road a.k.a. The Hood, right across the street from South Dekalb Mall. And despite the mall shootings and a couple disturbances, I don't see how crime ridden this area is. And I roam outside of Candler Rd. My daily routine has me on Glenwood Rd. and Memorial Dr. everyday and periodically during the evening.

Now don't get me wrong. South Dekalb isn't Sandy Springs or Marietta, but in no way is this area the Bronx or Yonkers. I say those places because I'm originally from The South Bronx and Decatur is like a walk in the park. I've been residing here for 5 years now and my life hasn't been endangered in no way.

I'm just getting frustrated of seeing South Dekalb being treated like the dumps. There are many middle class families in this area. There are beautiful subdivisons on River Road being built everyday. I just want people to not let the news influence them so much. If you don't come around this area that often then you really can't judge it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta