Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 06:27 PM

4 posts, read 4,661 times

Advertisements

I hate to start another housing/apartment thread, but I havesearched for a while and I haven’t been able to find a thread for exactly whatI’m needing. I also have done a ton of internet searches and I’m more confusednow then at the beginning. So your help is much appreciated and needed. Oneperson says a certain neighborhood is safe and then another describes it as Fallujah.I work in the criminal justice system so I understand that people havedifferent perspectives and definitions of safe, but I am just looking for alittle clarification. I understand that some of my confusion is just because I donot know the area and what the “boundaries” are for certain areas, so any helpis much appreciated.

I found a company I like with offices around the country.They currently have an opening in Atlanta and I am thinking about applying, butbefore I apply for a position I like to thoroughly research the city. I was in Atlantain November and really enjoyed the city, but I just keep going in circles whenresearching apartments.

I am looking for a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment between $700-1000a month. I would like to stay towards the lower end of that budget to help payoff student loans, but I’m not willing to sacrifice by being in a less than desirablepart of town. The job will be downtown close to Five Points so I really wouldlike the apartment to be close to a Marta station. Either within walkingdistance or driving distance if the station has parking. I am a single male anddo not participate the bar scene so that is not important. I am very low maintenance.I would love to be close to the new Braves ballpark, but I see Marta access as more important. I do enjoy sports so that kind of just reiterates that I would like to be closeto a Marta station to get downtown for the other sports, but the most important part is a nice/safeneighborhood in that budget. I do not really want to drive downtown everyday so public transportation is probably a must.

In summary is it possible to find a 1 bedroom apt for around$800-900 in a safe neighborhood with Marta access? If so please throw out a fewapartment complexes or point me in the right direction as to whichexact neighborhoods I should be looking for an apartment. I am willing to provide any additional information you might need to help guide me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

*Edit - I am reading that the commute from Smyrna isn't terrible. Would that be an option in my budget with a 45 minute commute to the Five Points area? Once again how safe is the area?

Last edited by apbaker85; 12-28-2014 at 07:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 07:12 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,782,572 times
Check out areas around North Springs, Sandy Springs, Doraville and Chamblee Marta Stations.

Go a search on the Xpress Bus and check out the map..www.xpressga.com It will take you directly into downtown with no stops. I would recommend either finding a place near Marietta Transfer Center or Indian Trial. I think Indian Trail might be better because 85 has a HOV/Hot lane and the bus travels in that lane which would make your bus commute faster. Marietta has a HOV lane but it begins inside 285 which means the bus will have to sit in traffic outside 285.

Do a general search on apartments in those areas. Also contact Promove.com because they may be able to help you narrow down an apartment

Would you have a flex schedule or would you have to be at work at 8am?

Last edited by afdinatl; 12-28-2014 at 07:31 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 07:23 PM

4 posts, read 4,661 times
I do not know the exact hours but it should be around regular business hours. Around 7-5 weekdays.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:36 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,782,572 times
The drive from Vinings/Smyrna isn't bad. Going south around 7:30 am traffic clears up at West Paces Ferry Rd generally and it gets back heavy at 75/85. Also if you drive from that area you can take back roads and bypass the traffic and get on at West Paces Ferry Rd.

First I would look at apartments near North Springs and Sandy Springs. Can't find anything then search for apartments near Doraville and Marietta Marta Stations. No luck then check out apartments near Indian Trail. Still no luck check out apartments near Marietta Transfer Center. Then look into Vinings or Smyrna if you don't mind driving but the traffic can be horrible if you get off after 4:30pm but manageable

Old 12-29-2014, 01:42 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,143,757 times
Isn't there developmt online for the Five Points area, everyone? Why not Five Points or downtown? If GSU is in th err area and students are living there, I imagine it must be a perfectly fine place to live. There is tons of student housing in the area, right?

To the OP: do you know anyone in Atlanta? I ask bc you are likely to then be able to obtain feedback from ppl that you know have the same outlooks on what safety means. On these boards, as with anywhere else in the country, some ppl will tell you to stay in the suburbs for "safety" while others will recommend areas in the city proper. Then some will point you to the areas that have only certain ethnic/racial demographics for "safety" while others won't. Until you find someone who thinks like you, you will be hard-pressed to find a recommendation that is definitely on point with your perception of "safety."

Old 12-29-2014, 10:32 AM

122 posts, read 186,295 times
sandy springs will give you good marta access and is a pretty safe area, but will push the top end of your budget. Smyrna will likely be cheaper but the commute is longer and no marta access. Still, smyrna to downtown is a decent commute for atlanta standards.

I wouldn't even think of living near five points. I went there once and got right back onto the marta... area looked terrible to me.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:44 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1324 View Post
sandy springs will give you good marta access and is a pretty safe area, but will push the top end of your budget. Smyrna will likely be cheaper but the commute is longer and no marta access. Still, smyrna to downtown is a decent commute for atlanta standards.

I wouldn't even think of living near five points. I went there once and got right back onto the marta... area looked terrible to me.
The Five Points area is about to receive a major overhaul with the sale of Underground Atlanta and the redevelopment of the Five Points MARTA station (Mayor Kasim Reed Announces Sale of Underground Atlanta | Downtown Atlanta); (http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/...d-you-can-help).

Old 12-29-2014, 11:13 AM

764 posts, read 1,107,967 times
The secret commute from the Smyrna/Vinings area is to take Atlanta Rd. south (it becomes Marietta Blvd. after crossing the Chattahoochee River and entering the City of Atlanta) and continue to the intersection with Marietta St. take a left and after a couple of miles or so, you will intersect Peachtree St. at Five Points. When I have taken Atlanta Rd. from Smyrna to the Georgia World Congress Center, it has taken a little over 20 minutes, which for the Atlanta area is an easy commute.

For safety concerns, the more you spend on rent, the safer the complex should be. That being said, you should expect to pay at least $800 a month in Smyrna. Also, I would recommend a gated community. Another possibility is to rent a garage apartment or basement apartment in a single family home. You won't have the pool and amenities of an apartment complex, however, you can often rent in a quiet, expensive and safe neighborhood of homes.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:54 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Smyrna / Vinings / Cumberland / Akers Mill

Old 12-31-2014, 06:54 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
The Five Points area is about to receive a major overhaul with the sale of Underground Atlanta and the redevelopment of the Five Points MARTA station (Mayor Kasim Reed Announces Sale of Underground Atlanta | Downtown Atlanta); (http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/...d-you-can-help).
In 10 years it may well be one of the hottest areas in town.
Good recommendations here. I would add the North Druid Hills neighborhood to the list, particularly the Sheridan Road area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta