Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 05:10 PM

294 posts, read 451,094 times

Advertisements

Townhome Pitch on Historic O4W Site Alarms Residents - Development Du Jour - Curbed Atlanta

Does anybody have any new information about this development? They started demolition today which really surprised me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 06:01 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,084,878 times
When I drove by the development today, I noticed it was all fenced off but didn't see any evidence of demolition. I would hate to see that building go.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:53 PM

Drive down East Ave, you'll see the bulldozer and a wall that was already taken down.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:39 PM

161 posts, read 219,251 times
I am continually amazed at Wieland's positive reputation. I have seen so many of his homes age MUCH faster than their "no-name" counterparts. Real estate listings brag about being a "Wieland" home--and the house and community look horrible--siding in bad shape, fixtures look cheap, trends at the expense of quality. I do think his communities look great at first glance, but jeez, there are so many examples around the metro of how poorly his work ages. I truly don't understand why he continues to enjoy such a positive reputation. I've heard he's great to work for (as a builder) and awful to work for (as a subcontractor.) For O4W's sake, I hope they find a better builder.

Perhaps he's just really good at marketing...

Old 12-30-2014, 05:48 AM

994 posts, read 1,540,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimama1 View Post
I am continually amazed at Wieland's positive reputation. I have seen so many of his homes age MUCH faster than their "no-name" counterparts. Real estate listings brag about being a "Wieland" home--and the house and community look horrible--siding in bad shape, fixtures look cheap, trends at the expense of quality. I do think his communities look great at first glance, but jeez, there are so many examples around the metro of how poorly his work ages. I truly don't understand why he continues to enjoy such a positive reputation. I've heard he's great to work for (as a builder) and awful to work for (as a subcontractor.) For O4W's sake, I hope they find a better builder.

Perhaps he's just really good at marketing...
You're the first person I've heard of to speak negatively about a Wieland home. Do you think there's a difference between older vs. newer construction? I've seen many of his older (almost 20 years old) homes, and they look really great compared to comparable houses built around the same time by other builders.

I think it's worthwhile to keep in mind that unless you're fortunate enough to truly build a custom home or enter at a high price point, lots of what one gets in a home, initially, will be "contractor or builder grade" in quality. That goes for fixtures, carpeting, paint finishes, etc. And that's the case in $100K homes and even up to those in the $400s+. It's on you as the owner to elevate and improve the quality and taste level.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:25 AM

298 posts, read 373,783 times
This project isn't happening, at least not by Wieland. Last I heard they backed off the project.

Last edited by ATLJR; 12-30-2014 at 06:36 AM..

Old 12-30-2014, 06:40 AM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
New Homes and Townhomes in Atlanta | New Home Builder Atlanta | John Wieland Homes and Neighborhoods

Old 12-30-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLJR View Post
This project isn't happening, at least not by Wieland. Last I heard they backed off the project.
Hmmm well the fence they just put up within the last week says John Wieland Homes facing Ralph McGill...

Old 12-30-2014, 07:21 AM

298 posts, read 373,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInATL2011 View Post
Hmmm well the fence they just put up within the last week says John Wieland Homes facing Ralph McGill...
For the Creomulsion Company building site? I don't work for Wieland or anything, so I don't know 100%, but last I heard they were backing off the site. I know they own it, so maybe they're putting the fence up for liability reasons so no one goes wandering onto the site and hurts themselves? If they are in fact proceeding, I assume that means they won't be looking into renovating the Creomulsion building.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLJR View Post
For the Creomulsion Company building site? I don't work for Wieland or anything, so I don't know 100%, but last I heard they were backing off the site. I know they own it, so maybe they're putting the fence up for liability reasons so no one goes wandering onto the site and hurts themselves? If they are in fact proceeding, I assume that means they won't be looking into renovating the Creomulsion building.
That building is being taken down as we speak so obviously they aren't going to be renovating the Creomulsion building. I really hope they don't leave it as land for long, I hope they move forward with constructing either townhomes or a mixed used condo project. I really don't want even more apartments in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: