Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 01:28 PM

826 posts, read 3,111,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy1980 View Post
I am not concerned with whether you consider your job crappy or not I am just happy to hear that you got off your butt and found some type of employment instead of giving up. But unlike most people who are from generational poverty they never seek out any type of employment.
I didn't find these companies who were tripping over themselves to hire blacks, and went to plenty of staffing agencies only to be met with empty promises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 01:46 PM

315 posts, read 759,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
I didn't find these companies who were tripping over themselves to hire blacks, and went to plenty of staffing agencies only to be met with empty promises.
Well both times I lived in atlanta I found jobs in like days of gettin in the city and take into consideration neither time did Live in atlanta for even five months but I had lots of success in the short period of time I did reside there. And I just want to make it clear that I do not look down on folks who may be down on thier luck and are truly looking hard to find employment that is right for them. I am speaking of those who just like to party and complain all while loving those monthly checks with no plans of getting of off them.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:57 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,238,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy1980 View Post
Sure not all poor people are lazy but the majority are. And one would think that in a city like atlanta where it is easy for our people to clim the corporate ladder that they would at least try harder to make something of themselves. And before you all call me ignorant I just want you to know that I can speak on this because I have been there and done that so I know what I am talking about.
Maddy, if you've been there, then you should know that most poor people work longer hours than wealthier folks... often with multiple jobs. The issue is not laziness... most often, the issue is lack of education and knowledge to access opportunities.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:07 PM

625 posts, read 3,628,481 times
Default Who says Affirmative Action really helps African Americans

I don't live in Atlanta (although hopefully I will in 2 years ) I don't see what everyone else does when they boast about how much AA helps African Americans. After I graduated college I truly see who it has benefited most. White females!!! I have temped in several companies where I am the only black person within a company of 75+. Even now my current company have over 300 employees but I still see only a handful of black people. It's not that we are not educated, but those of us that are find ourselves being pushed out of certain industries. Or when we get there we are not friendly towards one another and we don't go out of our way to get to know each other (unlike hispanics who embrace each other no matter what). I did agree with Bill Cosby and I also believe that we as a people have alot of growing to do. We don't stick by one another and will be venomous towards our own people even when there is another race in the room. Why is that? Do we hate each other or have we just been taught to be so divided amongst each other.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:05 PM

315 posts, read 759,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
I don't live in Atlanta (although hopefully I will in 2 years ) I don't see what everyone else does when they boast about how much AA helps African Americans. After I graduated college I truly see who it has benefited most. White females!!! I have temped in several companies where I am the only black person within a company of 75+. Even now my current company have over 300 employees but I still see only a handful of black people. It's not that we are not educated, but those of us that are find ourselves being pushed out of certain industries. Or when we get there we are not friendly towards one another and we don't go out of our way to get to know each other (unlike hispanics who embrace each other no matter what). I did agree with Bill Cosby and I also believe that we as a people have alot of growing to do. We don't stick by one another and will be venomous towards our own people even when there is another race in the room. Why is that? Do we hate each other or have we just been taught to be so divided amongst each other.
Once you are in atlanta I am sure you are gonna fall in love with that city and you will not have any problem with finding a company with a majority black environment if that's what you want. And yes we as a people have a whole lot of growing to do and it is time to face reality and acknowledge that some of the problems in our community such as high numbers of unemployment is a problem that is brought on by ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: