Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2015, 10:16 PM

5 posts, read 7,044 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Roswell Ga this summer. I have a 3rd grade son who is high functioning autistic. I have been looking homes around Marietta, Alpharetta and Cumming, hoewever, I don't know anything about the schools ( elementary, middle and HS ) and the service that they have for autistic kids. Can somebody help me? I'm looking for public/ charter schools that will be ideal for my son .

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,988 times
Default Marcus Autism Center

I work in an office of a local elementary school and know that we have excellent staff in the special ed department. We have training's with the Marcus Autism Center in Atlanta. You may want to get in touch with them.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:26 PM

17 posts, read 15,800 times
If you are open to commuting (assuming you're moving for work) there is a school called Tapestry that has a deliberately integrated autistic/non-autistic student base. It's ITP, so would definitely be a commute for you, but certainly worth at least looking into. It seems to have been created for the express purpose of serving the needs of autistic children.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:21 AM

744 posts, read 2,469,908 times
Be sure to look into The Lion Heart School (sp ?) as well. They have some really great things going on as well for individuals on the autism spectrum.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:00 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,797,882 times
We moved to Roswell when my son with autism (high functioning but with other learning problems) was a freshman and Roswell High School placed him in an environment that we were certain would lead to failure compared to all of the services and placement he had in New York. We decided to give it a try before looking at privates which are expensive and not the best preparation for the "real world."

He ended up with a high school diploma, works at Autism Blends (barista at Nally Toyota/Lexus) and going to school part-time at Chattahoochee Tech.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:35 AM
bu2

23,841 posts, read 14,619,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperButterfly View Post
If you are open to commuting (assuming you're moving for work) there is a school called Tapestry that has a deliberately integrated autistic/non-autistic student base. It's ITP, so would definitely be a commute for you, but certainly worth at least looking into. It seems to have been created for the express purpose of serving the needs of autistic children.
Tapestry is a DeKalb County public charter school. Admission is by lottery. You need to be a DeKalb County resident. Dunwoody is the closest part of DeKalb County to Roswell (fairly close). The school is actually just outside 285 off Chamblee Tucker Road (near the intersection of I-85, I-285 East). It is 6th-8th grade this year, but will be expanding to HS. So it wouldn't be an option for a 3rd grader for 3 years. Dunwoody does have some excellent elementary schools, but I don't know how they do with special needs.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:39 AM
bu2

23,841 posts, read 14,619,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go falcons View Post
Be sure to look into The Lion Heart School (sp ?) as well. They have some really great things going on as well for individuals on the autism spectrum.
The OP said they were looking at public/charter school options. Lion Heart is private, but there are a wealth of special needs private schools in the Roswell/Alpharetta area. Each of the schools has a slightly different focus. Proximity to those if you need them might be something to keep in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta