U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 09:08 PM

1,243 posts, read 986,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Read the article. It says what is going on.

There is a housing development there too from a different company. MB is buying property from that developer
I did, thank you. Still didn't make sense at first, but now that I've read it twice, it does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 09:18 PM

4,647 posts, read 3,032,320 times
Interesting location, right down the street from UPS HQ's.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:17 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,131,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Interesting location, right down the street from UPS HQ's.
Wouldn't that technically be Sandy Springs?

Old 02-02-2015, 10:22 PM

284 posts, read 457,198 times
I hope they keep the fine old home there and find a creative reuse for it.

1929 mansion makes 2015 "in peril" list
Historically significant Glenridge Hall

Old 02-02-2015, 10:28 PM

5,007 posts, read 3,494,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Both are in the SS city limits

Old 02-02-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal93 View Post
I hope they keep the fine old home there and find a creative reuse for it.

1929 mansion makes 2015 "in peril" list
Historically significant Glenridge Hall
Thanks for sharing this, Mal93. Being as familiar as I am with this part of town, I have to admit I have never heard of Glenridge Hall until the MB announcement! It's actually pretty embarrassing.

Is this beautiful place visible from any surrounding roads at all?

Old 02-02-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
As Gulch mentioned, yes.

If there is any confusion, the County Line pretty much follows Peachtree-Dunwoody. Everything east of that is Dunwoody, everything west is Sandy Springs.

I'm confused though, I thought you used to live here?

Old 02-03-2015, 12:26 AM

27,822 posts, read 24,888,826 times
Quote:
I missed this last week.

I think your sentiments are right.

I think SC has a brain-drain also because it is too easy for companies in SC to efficiently and affordably outsource professional and financial services to Atlanta and Charlotte, especially for manufacturing companies in the Upstate area that has experience phenomenal growth.

But I also feel as South Carolina knew this. They found a niche for the Upstate area to grow in a healthy way without the resources of attracting a highly educated job base in that region.

If Charlotte grows as big as Atlanta with the same low-density build, they will naturally have the same poly-centric nature of their economy catch up with them. It is worth noting their upper class quarter of growth is south southwest. There is a small pull to the north thanks to Lake front properties and Universities access, but the premium office space is going South.

Southpark is their nearest equivalent of our Buckhead. Ballantyne is their nearest equivalent of Perimeter Center. Their South End Neighborhood even has some growth similar to what our Midtown saw prior to Colony Square. What I've noticed is a few small office projects popped up near Fort Mill in South Carolina. North Carolina has done a phenomenal job of keeping choice offices and residents on their side of the border, but eventually as land becomes rare, South Carolina could easily become their Alpharetta and Peachtree Corners Equivalent when Charlotte gets closer to our current size.
I agree with most of this but the emboldened is a bit debatable. Of course the highest profile companies are still in Charlotte proper, but SC has managed to lure quite a few big fish in York and Lancaster counties over the past few years, including Shutterfly, Continental Tires NA headquarters, religious TV network INSP headquarters, and most recently LPL Financial regional headquarters (3,000 jobs) and Lash Group headquarters (2,400 jobs). The panhandle of Lancaster County is already like a "Ballantyne South" of sorts, with several companies that have jumped the state line being located there, and Fort Mill has some of the best schools in the Charlotte region and combined with lower taxes, it has lured many a family from Charlotte. That area is definitely morphing into Charlotte's version of Alpharetta, PC, or Cumberland.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:51 AM

6,458 posts, read 7,280,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I agree with most of this but the emboldened is a bit debatable. Of course the highest profile companies are still in Charlotte proper, but SC has managed to lure quite a few big fish in York and Lancaster counties over the past few years, including Shutterfly, Continental Tires NA headquarters, religious TV network INSP headquarters, and most recently LPL Financial regional headquarters (3,000 jobs) and Lash Group headquarters (2,400 jobs). The panhandle of Lancaster County is already like a "Ballantyne South" of sorts, with several companies that have jumped the state line being located there, and Fort Mill has some of the best schools in the Charlotte region and combined with lower taxes, it has lured many a family from Charlotte. That area is definitely morphing into Charlotte's version of Alpharetta, PC, or Cumberland.
I think we are in the same place, but let me follow up what I mean....

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...4650e6bf43d164

Look at Ballantyne and the neighborhoods around it. South Carolina's side of the border is heating up rapidly, but you see a distinct difference on that state line. Part of what I'm impressed by is Ballantyne ended up on the North Carolina side, the demand is there, and they are right at the state line. South Carolina could have easily tried to poach a business district just to the west with a different incentive or tax structure. North Carolina made sure that one last business district was on their side by just a couple miles.

Man, imagine their version of the arguments in 30 years. ITP vs OTP vs OTP-a different state!

Old 02-03-2015, 10:19 AM

27,822 posts, read 24,888,826 times
Quote:
I think we are in the same place, but let me follow up what I mean....

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...4650e6bf43d164

Look at Ballantyne and the neighborhoods around it. South Carolina's side of the border is heating up rapidly, but you see a distinct difference on that state line. Part of what I'm impressed by is Ballantyne ended up on the North Carolina side, the demand is there, and they are right at the state line. South Carolina could have easily tried to poach a business district just to the west with a different incentive or tax structure. North Carolina made sure that one last business district was on their side by just a couple miles.

Man, imagine their version of the arguments in 30 years. ITP vs OTP vs OTP-a different state!
Oh yeah, at the time Ballantyne--a master-planned community--was envisioned, the SC side of the metro was out of the question. Now if someone were to come in and do that today in York or Lancaster, they would cash in big time and frankly I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta